your dept policy on treating Tasered suspects? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : your dept policy on treating Tasered suspects?

Butcher
08-24-2011, 01:58
watching the butterbean video on the other thread got me thinking (and i didn't want to hijack that thread...)

a couple nights ago i zapped someone with my Taser and per our department policy i called for a medic. our medics' policy dictates that they have to treat Taser probes as "impaled objects" and they transport to the ER to have them "surgically" removed by a doctor. (i don't know why we couldn't just transport him to the hospital three blocks away! we had to wait 5 minutes for the medic to arrive and load the suspect onto the gurney)

now, i've gotten a few people with the Taser, and the hospital staff always vary the procedure for removing the probes. i've seen local anesthetics applied prior to the doctor making a small incision to ease the probes out and stitch the wound shut. i've seen local anesthetics applied then the probes yanked out with a pair of clamps. i've even seen xrays taken and teams of doctors consulting on how best to remove the probes, then resorting to one of the previous methods... two nights ago, the doctor yanked them out with clamps without any painkillers or anesthetics or consultation (my favorite so far).

what does your department do, and how do your local medical professionals handle tasered suspects??

GPalmer
08-24-2011, 02:36
Just out of idle curiosity, how strong was the correlation between subject's attitude in the examining room and the method of removal? :whistling:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

acpd541
08-24-2011, 06:52
The city PD has their fish transported to the ER. Our officers pull the barbs out themselves.

Glocker1984
08-24-2011, 07:17
- Officers yank out barbs themselves
- Medics are called if suspect is injured by anything other than the taser (i.e. Suspect hit his head on counter top as he/she fell from being tased)
- ALL suspects tased must be arrested. If it warrants being tased, it warrants going to jail.

merlynusn
08-24-2011, 07:20
Our old policy was to transport to the ER and have the suspect evaluated and the probes removed by a doctor. Actually, it is for "any electricity discharged into the body" so that means even a drive stun involves a trip to the hospital.

Our new policy is we call for a Medic. If they don't complain of anything and it was just a 5 second burst, then the medics remove the probes if they can and the suspect signs the refusal and we go straight to jail.

Our new new policy is "Taser? What's a Taser? We don't have no Tasers, they can hurt someone."

jnc36rcpd
08-24-2011, 08:15
If the probe does not impale a sensitive area (face, throat, genitalia,female breast), the officer may remove the probes. If the probe is in a sensitive area or the officer has dificulty removing the probe, the subject is transported to the hospital.

Kahr_Glockman
08-24-2011, 09:31
Oh god forbid we "hurt" a physically combative subject. My GAS meter is on empty.

SCSU74
08-24-2011, 09:42
we yank them out ourselves and if there is excess bleeding we call for the bus

josepavento
08-24-2011, 09:48
If the probe does not impale a sensitive area (face, throat, genitalia,female breast), the officer may remove the probes.

That's how our's is... except everyone must be taken to the ER for a quick med clearance.

Landric
08-24-2011, 09:56
At my current agency we call EMS, and EMS removes them on scene, then off we go to see the magistrate and jail.

At my previous agency, supervisor was called and he or she removed the probe, unless it was in a sensitive area. When I worked for that agency I zapped a guy who was squared up with his fists raised. One of the probes struck him in the joint of his right thumb, the other hit him in the chest. We have to take him to the ER to get the thumb one removed, it nearly penetrated completely through the joint. The Doc pulled it out with something similar to pliers without the benefit of any meds beforehand.

That's how our's is... except everyone must be taken to the ER for a quick med clearance.

There is no such thing as a "quick" medical clearance at our ER.

sink156
08-24-2011, 10:05
We remove the probes unless it's in a sensitive area, if so EMS transports them to the ER.
We have to call EMS anyway because the Doctor for the jail will not admit a prisoner that has been Tased without a EKG strip. So EMS comes and perform a roadside EKG. STUPID as hell.

Steve in PA
08-24-2011, 10:10
If the probe does not impale a sensitive area (face, throat, genitalia,female breast), the officer may remove the probes. If the probe is in a sensitive area or the officer has dificulty removing the probe, the subject is transported to the hospital.

Ditto.

nitesite10mm
Per our SOP____ We pull them out ourselves unless in head, neck, genitalia, breast, or something weird (like that thumb joint) etc. Those warrant a trip to the ER for removal at perps expense. If done ourselves we wipe the area afterward with alcohol swabs, take photos (again, per SOP), and process thru booking into county jail.

Cochese
I yank them out, unless they are in his balls/taint/eye, then I pull the firemen away from their XBOX/waterfight/gym/pig roast/washing the LTs roofing truck and have them yank it out.

ray9898
08-24-2011, 11:56
-Officers remove barbs unless they hit a sensitive area. Sensitive area is automatic trip to ER.
-Medics are called to check suspect at scene.
-Off to jail unless suspect makes medical complaint then to ER.

DaBigBR
08-24-2011, 13:09
For a long time our policy was that they must be transported to the ER by EMS and have the probes removed by a doctor. We loosened that up some in recent years to permit EMS to remove them and to only require transport if the officer or patient requests it. We are also able to directly transport to the ER for removal. I was sued following a Taser deployment in 2004 and a substantial portion of the plaintiff's "damages" were the cost of going to the ER and being on the EKG. I think he racked up a couple thousand dollars. We won that suit (summary judgment), by the way.

If I could write the policy however I wanted it would be as follows:

-All officers SHALL be trained annually, to include basic taser training, excited delirium and other health concerns, removal of the probes, biohazard, etc, etc, etc.

-Officers on the street MAY remove probes from any NON-SENSITIVE area at their own discretion. A supervisor MAY order the probes removed by EMS/ER staff, but SHALL NOT require an officer to remove probes.

-If the probes are NOT removed by the officer, they may be removed by fire/EMS or ER staff. The officer may transport the tased party to the hospital themselves OR request an ambulance. A supervisor MAY require the officer to call an ambulance but SHALL NOT order an officer to transport the party if the officer is not comfortable doing so. The officer/supervisor SHALL recognize that fire/EMS are not required to remove the probes themselves and must follow their own protocol and judgment.

-If the tased party REQUESTS to be taken to the hospital and/or REQUESTS an ambulance, the officer SHALL honor that request.

Morris
08-25-2011, 15:02
Our policy is very similar to the OPs. Removing the probes from the body by LE has been identified as a liability so that falls upon recognized medical personnel . . .

Again, LOP rears the head.

boomhower
08-26-2011, 06:53
We pull them ourselves. If there is any unusual resistance, it hits a sensitive area, or excessive bleeding we call a ambulance to come take a look. The spent cartridge has to be turned in as evidence and you call it a day.

faceplant
08-26-2011, 19:55
We used to get called to evaluate the perp. Not sure what PD does now but its one less xbox interuption.

Cochese
08-26-2011, 19:57
We used to get called to evaluate the perp. Not sure what PD does now but its one less xbox interuption.

Or nook color interruption.

:supergrin:

indigent
08-26-2011, 23:45
Thats what the Sheriff pays our crack team of medical experts (me) to do. We have no provision for sensitive areas. You get zapped, you get a medic, you get the probes yanked, you go to seg.

We have several reports to complete and any additional injuries are photographed and documented.

CAcop
08-26-2011, 23:53
We pull the probes unless they end up somewhere sensistive or they are embedded in bone.

Ambo gets called for all Taser apps.

Suspect goes to ER for eval.

Then jail.

We have the ER eval because the jail zapped someone and they later died. Lawsuit induced liability reduction.

Cochese
08-27-2011, 00:10
I forgot. We photo the "scene" of the attitude adjustment. Photo and collect probes, cartridge, AFids, and download the disruptor data. I mean phaser. I mean TASER.

x_out86
08-27-2011, 00:46
Our policy is that we ask them if they want medical attention. If so, we page the rig and let them decide if they REALLY NEED to be transported.

As far as the rest of our P&P, we remove the darts ourselves, unless they are in the groin, head, or any other location where the officer does not feel safe doing so. We then photograph the location(s) of the probes if possible.

Sounds like you guys are trying to keep from having a lawsuit on your hands....but might sounds to me like it wastes a lot of time and money taking EVERYBODY to the hospital.