550b Set-up finish [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 550b Set-up finish

ALBin517
08-24-2011, 06:19
I've vented my set-up frustrations on here before, but the finishing touches went quickly for me.

In a couple hours last night:
1) Mounted the press to my bench
2) Set the powder throw
3) Loaded 100 small primers
4) Set the Stations 3 and 4
5) Made my first ever small test batch of 9mm

I'd been holding off on #1 so I could bring the press to work and have an experienced reloader check my work. I got the strong mount (had to for my bench) so it was not a big deal to do most of the set-up without bolting down.

For #4, I did the trick where you put a finished round in the station, raise the shell plate, then lower the die to fit. OAL matched the "go by" round to within 0.01" and the crimp is cool too.

PCJim
08-24-2011, 16:17
Congrats on your purchase. Just curious, did anyone tell you that there is a commonality between boats and reloading as a hobby? Seems that no matter which you have, you end up spending more and more on them. :supergrin:

ALBin517
08-25-2011, 05:42
That first night was tough. I made a test batch of eight rounds. But I have the materials to make a thousand and it was really tough not to.

WiskyT
08-25-2011, 16:28
That first night was tough. I made a test batch of eight rounds. But I have the materials to make a thousand and it was really tough not to.

You did the right thing. I get tired of reading threads about whether a newbie should pull the 1000 rounds he just made before he realised there was a flyspec on his reloading manual.

PCJim
08-25-2011, 21:36
Patience!

(Good post, Wisky.)