Earthquake Observation! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake Observation!

off road
08-24-2011, 07:43
Got to laugh! I am in the desert southwest, and earthquakes are an every day occurance here. In the past, I have done posts in here about earthquake preparedness....and gotten mostly crap for it from folks in this forum who could not imagine the scenario. Things like bridges down, so vehicle traffic can't move for weeks (you will be stuck on the freeway living out of your car for maybe days). Powerlines down indefinitely. Water mains broken, so no drinking water or water to fight fires. Brush/forest fires running unchecked and whole neighborhoods on fire as it goes from house to house. And of course....the possibility of looters and those taking advantage of the situation. Etc........

Well, I hope some of you can now imagine what I am talking about!

smokeross
08-24-2011, 07:59
They can't imagine it since it didn't happen. Was just a little shaker. Will wake up to a different world someday and say, "Oh Poop"

MajorAmby
08-24-2011, 08:06
Since the topic was brought up about observations... I live in MD, and cell phones were pretty much useless right after the quake. I think it was probably because towers were overloaded most likely, but text messages went through pretty well. I would have thought they did something about that after 9-11... :upeyes:

magic
08-24-2011, 09:53
I would have thought they did something about that after 9-11... :upeyes:

Oh, but they did! Now they can shut off all cell phone service to limit the attackers abilities to communicate.

cyrsequipment
08-24-2011, 09:54
If I recall correctly, the issue wasn't that people didn't think your scenarios were outrageous, it was your planned responses to them that were way over the top... Abandoing your home for no particular reason, or expecting your home to be destroyed so you didn't even bother going to back to it to even look...

rwrjr
08-24-2011, 12:11
Got to laugh! I am in the desert southwest, and earthquakes are an every day occurance here. In the past, I have done posts in here about earthquake preparedness....and gotten mostly crap for it from folks in this forum who could not imagine the scenario. Things like bridges down, so vehicle traffic can't move for weeks (you will be stuck on the freeway living out of your car for maybe days). Powerlines down indefinitely. Water mains broken, so no drinking water or water to fight fires. Brush/forest fires running unchecked and whole neighborhoods on fire as it goes from house to house. And of course....the possibility of looters and those taking advantage of the situation. Etc........

I don't remember your previous threads but I think a lot of us prepare for what is most likely to happen. Earthquakes are fairly rare on the east coast, so most don't prepare for them.

Your neighbors in the desert southwest might handle earthquakes with a yawn but I bet they'd drop a load in their pants if they had to ride through a major hurricane. Makes more sense on the right coast to prepare for hurricanes and perhaps civil unrest. You fault line guys are right to prepare for earthquakes.

Fortunately, many of our preps can be equally useful in a whole host of scenarios. All of my preps wouldn't have gone to waste if yesterday's earthquake did major damage in this area, unless my house was totaled that is. I don't have the money or inclination to prep for every possible contingency. Long ago I decided I'd be bugging in, so no BOL, no BOV. Are there events that can happen to take my house away, and my preps with them? Sure, but in my opinion the probability is pretty low. Got a hurricane coming here this weekend. My preps cover that. If the Fed Gov is forced to cut back on the handouts we could all get civil unrest. My preps cover that. Extended power & water outages and food scarcity, regardless of reason. My preps cover that. My wife, son, and I are within 10 miles of each other and our home about 99% of the time so if traffic is blocked we can all hoof it home to meet up. My job is furthest away at 8.5 miles, an easy walk under almost any conditions except very deep snow, which is very rare here and predictable days in advance.

gotplastic
08-24-2011, 17:56
Lived here 43 years, just had our second earthquake yesterday. Surprised the OP can't do the math and understand why we don't prep for earthquakes.

How many of our posts on prepping for severe snowstorms did you read ?? How well prepped are you for a major snowstorm ?? How about Northeaster's or hurricanes ? Often there are scenarios where it's beneficial to look at situations from the other side, and not just your own view. It can save you from starting a thread like this and looking somewhat foolish. Now, go get your snowshovel ready, winter's coming.

TangoFoxtrot
08-24-2011, 19:10

Listen, its a real simple case of "it will never happen to me syndrome" well guess what ....it almost did!

off road
08-24-2011, 19:26
I never suggested that anyone, anywhere, prepare for anything! It was just that in previous posts when I described what could easily happen here where I live, some seemed to not be able to comprehend anything that was beyond their own personal experience and lack of immagination.

All I hope for is that the specter of something like all the bridges in your area being down, might increase your comprehension of what an everyday reality is for someone else....

Misty02
08-24-2011, 20:06
Since the topic was brought up about observations... I live in MD, and cell phones were pretty much useless right after the quake. I think it was probably because towers were overloaded most likely, but text messages went through pretty well. I would have thought they did something about that after 9-11... :upeyes:

After Wilma (2005) cell phones were pretty much useless here too. Lots of missed calls when the phone never rung. You called others and they had the same problem. Were probably among the few people that still have a land line, those worked beautifully from the beginning.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

TangoFoxtrot
08-25-2011, 02:52
After Wilma (2005) cell phones were pretty much useless here too. Lots of missed calls when the phone never rung. You called others and they had the same problem. Were probably among the few people that still have a land line, those worked beautifully from the beginning.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Your 100% correct! People are too dependent on technology.

kirgi08
08-25-2011, 03:16
I never suggested that anyone, anywhere, prepare for anything! It was just that in previous posts when I described what could easily happen here where I live, some seemed to not be able to comprehend anything that was beyond their own personal experience and lack of imagination.

Granted,an east coast quake that "shocks" the populace is rare.However there do be folk that can/will handle/roll with it.

All I hope for is that the specter of something like all the bridges in your area being down, might increase your comprehension of what an everyday reality is for someone else....

We do have boats in WNC and wese knows howsta use dem.

Your 100% correct! People are too dependent on technology.

We don't even have a map,nevers had a compass and rely on .grub ta bails ussins out.'08. :dunno:

sebecman
08-25-2011, 05:47
I never suggested that anyone, anywhere, prepare for anything! It was just that in previous posts when I described what could easily happen here where I live, some seemed to not be able to comprehend anything that was beyond their own personal experience and lack of immagination.

People can't imagine with any clarity that which is unfamilar to them....this is not new and should come as no surprise to anyone over the age of 13.

As my observation, it seems all you west coasters are laughing at us for reacting rationally to an event that, due to it's frequency in your locale, you have learned to react to un-rationally.

PS -
We have location specific events here that would put you on your toes as well.

Arvinator
08-27-2011, 08:18
We can all face a disaster, from earthquake, a blizzard, a hurricane, etc.
We ALL need to have preps for our families. I live in a place near the "New Madrid Earthquake" and I keep supplies on hand. Earlier this year we had a flood that cut us off from others, and half the town flooded. We were safe, but if we had a tornado or earthquake then, we would have really had problems.
As a rookie cop, I carried 2 full size flashlights and I got laughed at often. I remember the biggest loud mouth come up to me and need a flashlight. I loaned it to him, telling him he would not like my response of he made fun of me again. I never heard him say a negative word in my presence again...

G29Reload
08-27-2011, 09:58
[FONT=Verdana]After Wilma (2005) cell phones were pretty much useless here too.

I was 70 miles from the epicenter of the quake here in N VA and the local 2M repeater was fine and buzzing with activity. Got all kinds of regional info and the real deal NOT being reported in regular media.

So for all those wondering if they should get involved in HAM or those who mock it as silly or useless...:whistling:

gotplastic
08-27-2011, 14:29
I was 70 miles from the epicenter of the quake here in N VA and the local 2M repeater was fine and buzzing with activity. Got all kinds of regional info and the real deal NOT being reported in regular media.

So for all those wondering if they should get involved in HAM or those who mock it as silly or useless...:whistling:

So g29, what was the REAL DEAL ?? Was it not really an earthquake, or was it caused on purpose by the gov't ?? Curious to hear all this info I missed in the daily papers I read, and cnn and local news.

walt cowan
08-27-2011, 14:31
wife and i were in sams club when it hit. we left and came back about two hours later. i noticed that unlike anyother time, no one in the store was under 6 foot in hight. strange.

Bolster
08-27-2011, 17:58
i noticed that unlike anyother time, no one in the store was under 6 foot in hight. strange.

What do you make of that? Only 6 footers were bold enough to shop @ sam's? Or did it mean all the women folk were at home cleaning up the mess?

Catshooter
08-28-2011, 09:42

Seriously? Why would you think they'd spend money to fix anything that didn't cost them money? If it doesn't interfere with profits then where's the problem?

Customer Service is only a problem when someone makes a loud enough stink about it. Maybe. Sometimes, with some companies.

Cat

walt cowan
08-28-2011, 15:49
What do you make of that? Only 6 footers were bold enough to shop @ sam's? Or did it mean all the women folk were at home cleaning up the mess?

was about 50/50 mix of women to men. ages ran about pre-teens to sr. citizens. one woman stood close to 7 foot. just strange.:dunno:

Misty02
08-28-2011, 16:34

Im not involved with HAM radio but I will be the first to admit that those that have the equipment, can operate it and understand it will have a significant advantage over those that dont after a natural or man-made disaster. Those with the capabilities will be able to get true accounts of whatever is happening from others that are experiencing it. It will likely also provide better means of communications. The rest of us will know whatever the media believes we should know.

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

G29Reload
08-28-2011, 16:58
So g29, what was the REAL DEAL ?? Was it not really an earthquake, or was it caused on purpose by the gov't ?? Curious to hear all this info I missed in the daily papers I read, and cnn and local news.

Status of phone system and traffic, roads suddenly crowded from parents getting their kids out of school early cause the world was ending, etc.

That it was only ATT and other inheritors of the old A-side wireless that was having troubles and Verizon systems werent. Figures, the non-copper linked A-side wireless relies on sensitive MW connections that were no doubt out of kilter from the towers shaking. (Verizon is the net to be least affected by trouble in a crisis. Sprint has further probs being a-side and many Nextel links too close to police freqs)

Interesting damage reports still hours away from the evening news. And even news of stuff that wasnt affected that everyone expected to be.