Installing sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing sights

Glock 1
08-24-2011, 08:38
I was wondering what it takes to install sights on a Glock. I searched the forums but I guess I am not using the correct terminology. I want to put sights on all of mine. If I can do it myself I would prefer to.

toshbar
08-24-2011, 08:44
How many do you have? It may be worth it to buy a rear sight pusher.

I did my rear with a punch and some channel locks. The front you'll need the $15 tool. I think it's a 4mm hex socket with a really thin wall, so if you want to grind one down to fit, go ahead. Use lots of red lock-tite on it too. I used blue and within about 100 rounds it had loosened. Torque the crap out of it too.

Glock 1
08-24-2011, 08:56
I have 3 for now but more coming. I was thinking about buying the tools to install them. Plus, I have friends who have them and would be willing to install them as well.

JBP55
08-24-2011, 08:56
Ameriglo sights come with a front sight tool. If you are not going to use a sight tool use a plastic or wood dowel and go slow. Clean and lube the rear sight and dove tail before starting and gently bump it until it is centered. Use red loctite on the front sight screw after cleaning with alcohol and tighten.

ku4hx
08-24-2011, 08:59
I was wondering what it takes to install sights on a Glock. I searched the forums but I guess I am not using the correct terminology. I want to put sights on all of mine. If I can do it myself I would prefer to.

Years ago I bought an ink pen sized device that uses a spring to load a brass punch with tension. You can adjust it for a heavy hit of a light tap via tension on the spring. What you do is press on the base of the rear sight and at some point the set point is reached, the brass punch is released and the sight is nudged along. I've had the thing for well over twenty years and can not find it anywhere; there's no ID on the thing.

I think I paid $3 for it. May not a good idea for delicate rear sights, but for OEM Glock it's perfect.

Glock 1
08-24-2011, 09:09
Let me get this straight, the front sight is threaded?

Keyhole
08-24-2011, 09:32

Yes. The sight has a cup on the bottom that fits down into a hole in the top of the slide. The inside of that cup is threaded. The sight comes with a hex screw that screws up into the cup, from the inside of the slide, to lock it in place.

Benton
08-24-2011, 10:05

Use red #271 Loctite. For the rear, spend the money and save yourself some trial and error, not to mention aggravation. Get the MGW or Glock sight pusher. Be sure to use a small square to make sure your front sight is square (straight).

tacmc6
08-24-2011, 10:09
Just received the Glockmeister sight tool which comes with the rear push tool as well as the front sight tool---delivered was $109. Used it on my Glock 17 to install Tru Glo TFO's and had them installed in a matter of minutes. Great investment since I have several Glocks. :cool:

up1911fan
08-24-2011, 10:25
I use the following tool's to install sights on my Glocks:
-Rear sight pusher
-Mill file ( to file the bottom of the rear sight to fit the dovetail)
-Red Loctite
-Front site tool or modified nut driver

Sonnytoo
08-24-2011, 11:18
AmeriGlo has the best deal, IMO. They will sell you a front-sight tool very cheap or perhaps just throw it in. It's a 3/16", IIRC, but you need theirs or one with a thin diameter. A "fat" socket won't work. Yes, that front-sight has a screw on the bottom, works very easily. AmeriGlo (and others) offer many different heights of front sights that usually are in increments of about 0.020" and will raise or lower your hits by about 3" @ 25 yards.

Please DON'T use RED Loctite if you're like me and like to change things around. If it's forever, use RED. If not, use Loctite 442 Threadlocker a nd you'll be able to get it off quite easily when you want to, but it will NOT come loose by itself. You usually will need HEAT to get the RED loosened up, but not with the BLUE. I like BLUE a lot.

Any time you change sights, your POI may not equal POA. The easiest and cheapest way to correct elevation is to change the rear sight. Glock offers four different heights of rear sight. Each change will result in approx 2-3" change @ 25 yards. You can buy these plastic stock rear sights from Glock or from third-party vendors for as little as about $3. Very similar sights in steel, are also offered by Glock and others for about $20. If you are changing to steel rear sights, which I usually find to no advantage, then you "should" get a rear sight pusher. I think the best one is the "MGW SIGHT PUSHER FOR GLOCKS." It costs about $120, although Brownells recently had a sale on them. Don't know if the sale is still on.

I have changed to steel rear sights, and some steel tritium sights with nothing other than a 1/2" or so hardwood dowel and a larger hammer. You won't hurt anything on the Glock. I did hit my fingernail, however, and that bruise took six months to grow out. :) Just take off the slide and take out the spring and barrel, lay the slide on a worktable against a wood backstop. I just screwed a 3/4" x 6" x 12" board onto the worktable and lay the slide against it and tap. Perfect height.
For Glock stock plastic rear sights, I have always used a hardwood dowel, about 1/4" diam which works great, with a plastic-head tap-hammer. The rear sights have an angle to them, so try to keep that dowel along that angle once you start the sight in, and you won't damage it.
For steel rear sights, Stock Glock front sight is 0.165" high and about 0.140" wide. I have several Glocks with a 0.200" high x 0.125" and also a fibre-optic which is 0.105" wide. And I like the front sight to be about 0.100-0.125” wide to give me more “light” on either side of the sight when I am aining the gun.

I find that for my eyes, I like the "height above the slide" to be about equal for both the front and rear sights. Not everyone sees the same, so I would caution you about that aspect. Don't spend a lot of money until you're sure. You can always try rear plastic sights of varying heights and when you're happy, you can then buy steel Glock or expensive steel or steel tritium from anyone else like Heinie, Dawson, Warren-Sevigny, etc. When buying a set, find out how far the front and rear sight is above the slide before you purchase. Or...be prepared to buy a new front sight (height) from AmeriGlo for about $40 so you can match up the heights to your own specs.

I have never been enamored by the rear sights that cost so much money. I don’t like tritium in my rear sights and don’t use that type. Tritium is for front sight only. That’s what you aim with, or point with, at night. You don’t need to “aim” at 10 feet away from a bad guy, and if he’s further away, you can’t see him anyway, and neither can he see you, so just run away.

Hope this helps. You can PM me with other questions if you like, but I’m no expert on anything.
Sonnytoo

Glock 1
08-24-2011, 12:34
Wow, damn good info. Thanks! I will post pics and range results when I decide what I want. I am going to do one gun, decide if I like it and then do the others the same way. I will order the tool since I am already negotiating on my 4th Glock as I type this.

Would it be safe to just pus the rear site in, sight it in at the range, mark it and then R&R it using the loctite when I get it back tot he house?

rpgman
08-24-2011, 13:28
Just received the Glockmeister sight tool which comes with the rear push tool as well as the front sight tool---delivered was $109. Used it on my Glock 17 to install Tru Glo TFO's and had them installed in a matter of minutes. Great investment since I have several Glocks. :cool:

do u you have the product url's (links) for those?
And, would they work for Warren sights?

thanx,
greg

Keyhole
08-24-2011, 13:35
I use the MGW rear sight tool. It's a nice piece of hardware with a versatile design.

toshbar
08-24-2011, 18:52
Years ago I bought an ink pen sized device that uses a spring to load a brass punch with tension. You can adjust it for a heavy hit of a light tap via tension on the spring. What you do is press on the base of the rear sight and at some point the set point is reached, the brass punch is released and the sight is nudged along. I've had the thing for well over twenty years and can not find it anywhere; there's no ID on the thing.

I think I paid $3 for it. May not a good idea for delicate rear sights, but for OEM Glock it's perfect.
That's actually a tool to make a divot in metal so your drill bit won't walk. Good idea though.

tacmc6
08-25-2011, 13:38
Greg,
Go to the Glockmeister web site---the tool setup is GMST---it gives a detailed description of the different sights it works on--Warren sights appears to need a little work.:wavey:

smokey45
08-29-2011, 18:24
I use a UNI-200L Universal Sight Tool. I've used it on Glocks, Sigs, CZs, 1911s, and a Hi Power. I have several types of handguns. Buying several brand specific sight pushers would be expensive.
S45

Glock 1
08-30-2011, 05:27
I am on AmeriGlo's sight and thinking about the Pro sights. Why is it some of these sights look like they need to be turned on? Some look very vibrant and some just look dead. My dad has a Baretta with night sights and they have never looked glowing like they do in the pics. I confess, I have never had night sights.