Survival in Adversity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Survival in Adversity

Kahr_Glockman
08-24-2011, 10:03
As many of you know there are several posters here who have been ambushed and seriously wounded in the line of duty. I am starting this thread so that these officers, can post there stories, thoughts, and actions, leading up too, during, and after the event they were involved in, if they chose to participate.

Specifically, I am thinking of Dragoon, Sparkster, and G27Chief. So to you guys if you would like to post your stories thanks. If there are others that would like to post your stories, go for it. The more the merrier.

These guys have posted their stories and we know about them, these guys stories have to be preserved.

For other guys, if you have been in an OIS and would like to post your story, of the event leading up to the incident, the incident, and dealing with the aftermath of the incident, that is great too.

This will be an opportunity for the guys that have been there to impart wisdom on the rest of us.

Cochese
08-24-2011, 10:19
Tag.

Let's hear it boys!

Hack
08-24-2011, 10:47
I am willing to hear from those with more experience than myself. I extend this to things outside the secure perimeter, as I do deal with certain issues outside as well.

ateamer
08-24-2011, 13:45
Here is an article about LAPD Officer Stacy Lim. Shot in the heart, killed the suspect, and made it back to duty. She spoke to us a few years ago; I'd go up against any crook in the world alongside her and know that we're walking out the winners. http://articles.latimes.com/1996-07-13/sports/sp-24826_1_police-officer/3

9x94
08-25-2011, 05:53
I like the idea, but the title does not do these men's horrible experiences any justice.
"Adversity" indicates some sort of misfortune of difficulty. Someone tried to murder these guys!

Kahr_Glockman
08-25-2011, 07:47
Webster's Dictionary

Adversity
a state, condition, or instance of serious or continued difficulty or adverse fortune

Adverse
acting against or in a contrary direction : hostile <hindered by adverse winds>
2a : opposed to one's interests <an adverse verdict> <heard testimony adverse to their position>; especially : unfavorable

9x94
08-25-2011, 08:09
Further from Webster:
Synonyms: misfortune, ill, knock, misadventure, mischance, mishap, tragedy

From Dictionary.com:
1. adverse fortune or fate; a condition marked by misfortune, calamity, or distress: A friend will show his or her true colors in times of adversity.
2. an adverse or unfortunate event or circumstance: You will meet many adversities in life.

Either way you look at it, it does not seem like a strong enough word to me!! I guess the only opinions that matter are from the men and women who have lived it.

9x94
08-25-2011, 08:33
Semantics aside, I would appreciate it if someone could post links to the threads containing the stories of Dragoon44, G27Chief, and anyone else on here. I have tried to search but have not found them yet.
Thanks

Kahr_Glockman
08-25-2011, 12:13
They were wiped in a previous update. In fact Dragoons was a sticky for over a year.

While I agree that adversity is not a strong enough word, it still fits, and was a one word explaination.

ede
08-25-2011, 17:19
can't get the link to work. look up Cops Cheating Death by Al J Venter Look up the story of Angela Watson, however the books full of similar stories.

G27Chief
08-26-2011, 09:04
In the early morning hours of August 18, 2005, the radio by my bed came alive with a call regarding a domestic dispute in the town in which I served as police chief. I arose from the bed and began to dress. I had previously been to the same address for a domestic dispute and this is rarely a job an officer needs to handle alone. As I arrived at the address, the house was dark and no police cars were there. I radioed my officer to be advised that the parties had relocated to the sheriff's office. Upon arrival we met with the complainant and as we documented the incident, gun fire erupted. My officer said that the brother of the victim threatened to go get a friend and a gun. The sounds of rounds striking walls and other cars in the lot filled the humid summer air. As we took cover I could hear two different reports, one was louder than the other. The gunfire stopped and someone in the yard of the courthouse was yelling at another person. I ran out to my car and sped around the courthouse square to cut off any escape route and to try to stop the rampant gunfire before someone was hurt. I exited my vehicle with my Remington 870, pumped a round into the chamber and saw a figure running towards me. As he came into the light, I shouldered my Remington 870 and ordered him to the ground. He was spread out as ordered, and as I held him I awaited back up to check him for weapons. I scanned the area for the other gunmen. As I scanned right, I heard a female subject scream, “No…No...No” and then I was shot. I saw the shooter only briefly, and then I was on the ground. I knew I was hit in the head but was able to press my shoulder microphone and called dispatch to tell them I was shot. The round struck just under my right eye, causing extensive damage to the tear ducts, right ear canal, inner ear, and nerves on the side of my face. My wife heard the dispatcher announcing that Lumpkin 1 (my call sign) had been shot. She immediately came to the scene and to my side. She was holding pressure to my wounds as the ambulance arrived. She saw a gunman shoot EMT Vance Streeter as he was retrieving equipment from the ambulance. She then drew my Glock from my Holster and laid across my body, guarding us from further harm.

In the hours that followed, one of the shooters, Marcus Dewayne Dalton, took two hostages. One of them was the man I held on the ground as I was shot. Scores of law enforcement from the region and a GSP helicopter responded to aid in protecting the city. They searched for the suspect and in a subsequent gunfight Dalton was shot and killed by other law officers. Dalton was a parolee and had a long history of problems with the law. The other shooter that shot me has never been charged with this incident, and is in prison on unrelated charges.

Also injured in the shooting was Deputy Clint Rivers of the Stewart County Sheriff’s Office. He was shot in the face and lost vision in his right eye. Plains Police Chief Henry Brown was struck in the shoulder in the second gunfight. Major Bret Murray of the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office was struck by a round that went between his magazine pouch and gun belt. Although we received awards and medals from various organizations, I deeply appreciated the gestures, but these alone cannot heal wounds. I did not do this to receive any accolades - I was simply doing my job and would do it again the same way. My only concern was for the safety of my fellow officers and citizens that night.

In my family there has always been a strong work ethic. My parents and grandparents did not feed me with a silver spoon. They worked hard for everything they have, and instilled the same values in me. We do not expect anything for free - you must earn what you get. I wanted to return to work. The thought of being on a medical or disability retirement was not an option I wanted to discuss. Even if I had entertained the idea, there were no provisions in the city's system for such a disability retirement. Social Security Disability would hardly pay the utility bills at my house. I was proud to wear a badge, and I accepted all the responsibilities and liabilities of the job. I worked very hard to recover and return to my duties. I overcame many obstacles to regain my balance, which was affected by the bullet passing through my right ear. I returned to work six months after the shooting. I stayed with the Lumpkin Police Department until 2007 when I accepted a job as the Chief of Andrew College Police Department, a small private liberal arts college in Cuthbert, Georgia. This job suited me and my abilities as I continued to recover. After ten months I had to resign as the police chief of Andrew College to return to therapy at Emory for balance issues associated with the injury. In the interim I was hired in training and administration in a small Sheriff’s Office. I can say my economic downturn began earlier than the rest of the nation, going from a full-time, well paying job to a part- time position. The therapy was successful at Emory, and I was returned to full duty status with very few limitations in October 2008. I was subsequently hired full time by the Sheriff’s Office in January 2009, still at lesser pay than I was receiving at Andrew. I now have taken a medical disability from the county, and have been waiting on a good report so I can return to work. I will be looking for another command level position, and with God’s divine aid and guidance I will be led to it in His time. There is no offering of a retirement to a local officer in Georgia, unless that local government has those provisions,there is no way my wife and I can live on SSDI alone (which is below poverty level). Over the past several months I have was watched my collections of firearms, coins and smoking pipes find other homes in order to pay our bills. It is almost unbearable to see a lifetime of savings leave your hands in one year of many health issues. if it were not for a family and loyal friends I would be more destitute than I am. From dozens of firearms to three is a though thing for an old southern boy to take.

The City of Lumpkin had worker’s compensation coverage through the Georgia Municipal Association (GMA). Many doctor appointments and countless tests have been conducted over the past several years to assess my damages and prospective treatments. All of these were handled via my case worker through GMA’s representative. There have been many trials and countless calls in order to receive consent from Worker’s Compensation insurance to pay for my treatment. I did not think I needed PTSD counseling in the beginning, and it was denied when I later requested it, because I did not go to it right after the shooting. The first in-the-ear hearing aid would not stay seated in the canal due to scar tissue pushing it out when I moved my jaw. The great disadvantages of not being able to hear were not helped. Finally I received approval for the current over-the-ear model I wear now. Still there are unpaid related bills from care I received, and my attorney is working with the insurance company to meet their obligations.

As public servants, we walk a thin blue line to protect and serve the citizens, knowing full well we may meet violence at any moment. Now I look around me and ask who sees to the needs of the ones that are injured doing this job?

My career in law enforcement has reached peaks that I never expected, and I continue to improve my skills through training and education. I was in class 33 of Georgia Law Enforcement Command College. I instruct both at the regional academy and for area monthly in service. I am just as proud today to serve as I was when I was first hired in 1981. I now wear a hearing aid due to the extensive hearing loss in the right ear. I have partial plates in place of teeth cracked and damaged from the velocity of the round that tumbled after striking bone. Additionally, I have to put lubrication in the right eye due to the tear duct damage multiple times a day. All of this said, I trust I will still able to perform my duties. I summed up my feelings in an interview a week after the shooting. I said, "Those who are in it for the glory will soon leave. Those who are in it for the power will soon leave or be left. Those that are in it because we love what we do and we feel it from the heart will stay there." The massive weight I put on with steroids causes other health assessment it tasks my self esteem.

My life changed in a blink of an eye. The quality of life I once enjoyed is greatly diminished. Many of the things I once enjoyed doing are limited because of the inner ear damage. I will not give up the fight for my treatment, nor will I resign myself to accept substandard care from facilities as a good faith gesture by insurance companies. I expect and demand the best care available for any issues arising from the injury related to this incident. The trepidation I face now and the concern about my health and financial future is unjust. I feel as if my future is filled with unnecessary ambiguity and adversity.

Jay Stripling
08/26/11 (as edited)

maddog3241
08-26-2011, 09:14
God bless you Chief. Thank you for sharing.

Agent6-3/8
08-26-2011, 09:33
Thanks for sharing, Jay! May God bless you and yours as you continute to heal. :angel:

The thing that pains me (and angers me) the most about these stories is how our wounded heros are all but thrown under the bus and forgotten. Its just my humble opinion that the least we (the people/governments) can do for our wounded warriors (be it military or LE) is pay every dime of their their bills incurred from a line of duty injury. This includeds full salary as long as is needed, even if that means the rest of their days.

Its absolutely despicable how our governments/legislatures can buy $400 toilet seats, give themselves raises, give millions in aid to foreign countries, dump trillions into a war we can't win, but they can't provide for the welfare of those that protect and serve this great country. :steamed:

Kadetklapp
08-26-2011, 12:13
Jay, why was the shooter not charged??

G27Chief
08-26-2011, 14:48
Jay, why was the shooter not charged??

The D.A. (the acronym serves two purposes for the one in office then) thought the indictment would fall based on the others demise, despite my pleadings to go foward. Hopefully the new DA will see fit.

scottydl
08-26-2011, 16:18
Thank you very much for your service and sacrifices, Chief. Depending on your comfort level with this, perhaps you could consider some speaking appearances at different levels. During my ~10 year sworn career thus far, I have learned and retained more from seminars by veteran, experienced LEO's such as yourself than from any other book-knowledge that I've obtained.

G27Chief
08-28-2011, 07:22
Thank you very much for your service and sacrifices, Chief. Depending on your comfort level with this, perhaps you could consider some speaking appearances at different levels. During my ~10 year sworn career thus far, I have learned and retained more from seminars by veteran, experienced LEO's such as yourself than from any other book-knowledge that I've obtained.

Often difficult to do, however each time I teach a basic class they want to hear the story. I feel emotions pouring over me, and that is not a part opf me I wish to publicly display. I guess if I were not still going through so much still it would be easier.

scottydl
08-28-2011, 11:16
Very true. No need to burden yourself emotionally now, but perhaps with time you would be at a place to make your story a part of LE speaking opportunities. Many speakers I know of are compensated quite well for such seminars. Not that money should be a primary reason, but it could eventually alleviate some of those financial pressures.