Amtrak station carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak station carry?

KG1F
08-24-2011, 14:49
GF is comming in on the train tonight and I have been trying to find out if it is legal to CC in a train station. I am in Michigan and I am aware of the no carry areas (schools, bars, airports, etc.) but I haven't ever seen anything about train stations. I checked the Amtrak website and it states that you can't carry on the train but nothing about the station.

dosei
08-24-2011, 15:36
So long as the station itself is not posted (by posted, I mean signs are up that carry legal weight) you can carry in the station.

Toorop
08-24-2011, 16:03
Why not call and ask? You will get a definitive answer from the employees at the station.

kensteele
08-24-2011, 18:29
Why not call and ask? You will get a definitive answer from the employees at the station.

Because maybe the employees don't know the correct or legal answer?

People come here to ask questions to see if others have a pretty good idea about something and then they weigh that answer against other sources of information and they weigh the risks and then they execute. It's really not that big of a deal. Personally, I think it would be silly to call the train station and try to find someone to ask if you can conceal a loaded weapon in the waiting room. If you are told no and you find out it is legal and you show up anyway, according some of your other posts, you are going against private property owner's wishes and no telling what you are subject to.

In MO, I don't have to ask anyone for permission. The law says I can and so...I can. Bottom line. I don't call ahead to hear irrelevant wishes and opinions and evaluate other's feelings about my personal business.

Toorop
08-25-2011, 12:10
Because maybe the employees don't know the correct or legal answer?

People come here to ask questions to see if others have a pretty good idea about something and then they weigh that answer against other sources of information and they weigh the risks and then they execute. It's really not that big of a deal. Personally, I think it would be silly to call the train station and try to find someone to ask if you can conceal a loaded weapon in the waiting room. If you are told no and you find out it is legal and you show up anyway, according some of your other posts, you are going against private property owner's wishes and no telling what you are subject to.

In MO, I don't have to ask anyone for permission. The law says I can and so...I can. Bottom line. I don't call ahead to hear irrelevant wishes and opinions and evaluate other's feelings about my personal business.

I think the employees could easily look up the correct and legal answer in their policy book and ask the station manager.

You could be told no, but you could also be told yes. If you are told it is OK but it is against their policy yes you are violating the property owners rights but you did so unknowingly and it is not your fault. If you enter knowing your actions violate their policy, then you are at fault. However you can always call ahead and ask and once you arrive enter and proceed to the counter or service desk and ask them if you can carry your pistol on their property. Why not just ask?

kensteele
08-25-2011, 16:46
I think the employees could easily look up the correct and legal answer in their policy book and ask the station manager.

You could be told no, but you could also be told yes. If you are told it is OK but it is against their policy yes you are violating the property owners rights but you did so unknowingly and it is not your fault. If you enter knowing your actions violate their policy, then you are at fault. However you can always call ahead and ask and once you arrive enter and proceed to the counter or service desk and ask them if you can carry your pistol on their property. Why not just ask?

Do you call to ask if you can wear red underwear into the Amtrak station? Or do you wear them anyway (because you live in a free America and you are allowed to reasonably interpret the law) and enter the station and when you get there, if they don't like, they can take action at that point.

My personal opinion is calling ahead is pointless.

bustedknee
08-25-2011, 18:24
Don't call anyone.

As soon as you go in the door, hold your gun over your head and yell, "I have a gun."

A nice employee will be happy to assist you in finding out the answer to your question.

Toorop
08-26-2011, 14:50
Do you call to ask if you can wear red underwear into the Amtrak station? Or do you wear them anyway (because you live in a free America and you are allowed to reasonably interpret the law) and enter the station and when you get there, if they don't like, they can take action at that point.

My personal opinion is calling ahead is pointless.
No I don't call. If I was unsure I would. You have not seen any threads by anyone here or perhaps in General-Non-Glocking asking if they can wear red underwear to the station, have you? If you see one please post a link and I will tell them that it is best for them to call the station and ask an employee if it is OK to do so.

HerrGlock
08-26-2011, 15:43
I checked the Amtrak website and it states that you can't carry on the train but nothing about the station.

It seems you already have your answer.

KG1F
08-26-2011, 20:11
Don't call anyone.

As soon as you go in the door, hold your gun over your head and yell, "I have a gun."

A nice employee will be happy to assist you in finding out the answer to your question.

Great answer. Actualy since train stations are not on my states list of where I cannot carry and it is concealed I decided to carry. While there I didn't see any signs saying otherwise so it must be ok.

Cole216
09-03-2011, 22:04
Since you are carrying the firearm concealed, it shouldn't be a problem. As long as you see no signs telling you not to, and you have a concealed carry permit you should be ok.
Also, don't wast your time calling to ask someone at the station, believe me, they will have no idea.

Donn57
09-04-2011, 21:55
Also, don't wast your time calling to ask someone at the station, believe me, they will have no idea.

But do ask a bunch of strangers on a forum because that's the best way to get legal advice. I'm pretty sure it is even a legal defense -

Defendant: "But Judge, wackyglocker2000 said it was okay!"

Judge: "Oh well, by all means then, case dismissed!"

kensteele
09-04-2011, 22:22
But do ask a bunch of strangers on a forum because that's the best way to get legal advice. I'm pretty sure it is even a legal defense -

Defendant: "But Judge, wackyglocker2000 said it was okay!"

Judge: "Oh well, by all means then, case dismissed!"

No one is asking for legal advice. This is an informational forum where people come together to ask questions and get information on their favourite topics from friends or strangers who might have a better idea than they do or might be able to offer an opinion or give them direction. No one here pretends to ask for legal advice from this forum that they can act on with certainty in a courtroom. Every time you ask a question about a gun doesn't mean it's legal advice just because it's "important" and just because someone says "can i....?" or "what does the law say...?" doesn't mean they are seeking legal advice. Everybody knows one the best methods to get legal advice is to consult a good licensed attorney. :upeyes:

That being said, don't call the Amtrak station asking if you can come down there with your loaded gun. That's ridiculous. Even I would tell you know, I have nothing to gain from giving you permission. If you call and I'm on the other end of the phone, I'm going to tell you no. lol

dnuggett
09-05-2011, 07:22
Believe it or not, some people do actually take what they read on GT as the sole source. Incredibly stupid.

kensteele
09-05-2011, 08:49
Believe it or not, some people do actually take what they read on GT as the sole source. Incredibly stupid.

Yes, i believe there are a few people here who ask questions like "can I OC in a bar in AR?" and they look at all the answers in the forum and if they get a bunch of Yes and No answers, they go ahead and do it.