Best e-mail to use question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best e-mail to use question.

alphacat
08-24-2011, 19:18
What's a good e-mail to use? I run Firefox and am now using Google mail.

I did a search on here but didn't find much help.

Detectorist
08-24-2011, 19:29
Gmail has been good to me for over 5 years.

alphacat
08-24-2011, 19:34
Yea, it's been okay so far but Google is getting so big and personal I was wanting to check out others. I thought people here would have some good ideas.

GLOCK=life
08-24-2011, 20:23
I have been using hotmail for over 10yrs and am happy with it.

IndyGunFreak
08-24-2011, 20:47
I hate Hotmail... I used to use it, but I got the crap spammed out of me. Now, I use it when I know my address is likely gonna be spammed. I just log into it and delete everything, or if I'm expecting something, I keep it.

Actually, for a web email, I like AOL's service. It's easy to use, works well..

but, I use GMail.. ;)

IGF

srhoades
08-24-2011, 21:46
I paid .99 cents for a domain and setup google apps. I created a junk@domain.com email for signing up for junk.

wct097
08-25-2011, 05:44
Gmail is pretty much the best thing going. I'd welcome a competitor, but you really can't beat the functionality and smartphone integration. I even use it for the domains I own.

alphacat
08-25-2011, 09:35
Thanks for the input everybody.
I'll stick with Gmail for a while longer.

Hauptmann6
08-25-2011, 10:18
Go Here (http://www.tera-byte.com/shared.php) and buy a URL and get the cheap account.

Use thunderbird as an email client.

You now have your own name at .whatever.com And it's not data mining gold for MS or google.

alphacat
08-25-2011, 11:46
Go Here (http://www.tera-byte.com/shared.php) and buy a URL and get the cheap account.

You now have your own name at .whatever.com And it's not data mining gold for MS or google.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

wct097
08-25-2011, 12:30

Gmail has more functionality, and you can use your own domain through Gmail for free. I'm not personally concerned with the data mining aspect... I'd rather have better service & functionality. Email should never be considered secure or safe for unencrypted sensitive information, even if you pay for a service that doesn't 'data mine' your information.

harrygunner
08-25-2011, 13:58
As 'Hauptmann6' said, pay for your own URL.

It's disconcerting to me how yahoo mail pops up "assistance", for example, maps to addresses within email. That means their servers are scanning every email before presenting it to you.

And everyone needs to understand Google is in the business of collecting our habits and interests to sell to others.

They do this by offering services we could use to communicate with websites, on-line businesses and other people. The services are of secondary interest. How we use those services is.

I was glad their medical product failed. Otherwise, your medical history would have been theirs.

I'm technically oriented, so I run my own email server on a PC in my house. Very little spam gets through my setup.

RDW
08-25-2011, 15:41
I'm a VERY HAPPY Outlook user.

prism
08-25-2011, 18:36
Gmail has more functionality, and you can use your own domain through Gmail for free.

Microsoft has that option, too. (using your own domain name)

cgwahl
08-25-2011, 20:04
My primary email address is with Yahoo. Secondary is Google. Third is hotmail (just use it as a dump address for crap I sign up for or don't want my real name on it.).

Use Google for my domain emails.

I still have an active Lycos and Excite email address, but haven't used it for close to 10 years. Just know it still exists because last year I was curious if it was still around and I was able to log in successfully.

Just play with some other free web based ones and see which UI you like better I guess...I personally prefer Yahoo, but Gmail has started to grow on me slightly. They all more or less perform the same function. Send, write, receive email. Some are just shinier looking than others.

Hauptmann6
08-26-2011, 22:35
Gmail has more functionality,

Really now. What can gmail do that a decent email client can't?

Hauptmann6
08-26-2011, 22:37
BTW I use gmail, yahoo, and hotmail(well not much anymore) and several pop3 accounts.

The pop3 is still the best. The interface is ALWAYS faster. And I can download email and read it offline.

And I don't have to look at ads.

srhoades
08-27-2011, 00:23
Really now. What can gmail do that a decent email client can't?

Sync your mail, calendar, and contacts on your smartphone. Easily forward your email to another address. Setup GMAIL to download your other POP accounts into your GMAIL accounts. Automatically color code incoming messages based on filters. Just to name a few.

srhoades
08-27-2011, 00:24
BTW I use gmail, yahoo, and hotmail(well not much anymore) and several pop3 accounts.

The pop3 is still the best. The interface is ALWAYS faster. And I can download email and read it offline.

And I don't have to look at ads.

POP3 is not a client, it is a mail standard. All three services you listed can be setup with POP3 access into a mail client just as Outlook or Thunderbird.

Hauptmann6
08-27-2011, 22:04
Sync your mail, calendar, and contacts on your smartphone. Easily forward your email to another address. Setup GMAIL to download your other POP accounts into your GMAIL accounts. Automatically color code incoming messages based on filters. Just to name a few.

I can do that with thunderbird. Haven't done the smartphone thing though.

Filters? lol, you should see the filter list I have set up in thunderbird.

GAFinch
08-28-2011, 10:42
Google's good cross platform syncing is what led me to start using gmail.