RCBS 505 Scale question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 505 Scale question

rquintana
08-24-2011, 20:42
Let me start off by saying, I am just getting into reloading, doing a lot of research. I have bought a couple of reloading manuals and started reading them trolling the forums etc...

I was at the pawn shop today and I saw a used RCBS 505 scale for $35. The problem is, the white "leveling" wheel at the bottom is bent slightly up. If I had to guess maybe 3-4 degree bend upward. Imagine a quarter on a flat surface bent 3-4 degrees up.

I didn't get it because of this. Would it still work? Or stay away?

Thank you,
Richard

Colorado4Wheel
08-24-2011, 20:59
RCBS will likely send you a new foot for free (or cheap). But as long as the scale is stable and able to be leveled it should be fine (as far as the foot is concerned). Just so you know the 505 and the Dillon Eliminator are basically the same thing. A new Dillon is $55 if I remember correctly. Factor that in to your decision making process as well.

AA#5
08-24-2011, 21:02
I'd never buy a damaged reloading scale - especially with that type of damage. The most critical parts of an analog scale are those bearings the balance beam sits in. It may have been dropped. Now, there are digital scales that are much faster & more accurate & consistent without costing much more than an analog scale. The scale is the single most important reloading tool there is; not the place to save money.

I'd buy a set of weights to test a scale before buying a used scale.

rquintana
08-24-2011, 21:10
Thanks for the quick replies!

Before I walked into the pawn shop I was debating between the the Dillon Eliminator and the Hornady LNL digital. It is about a $30 difference between them. But when I saw the 505 there for $35 I was about to take it, then I noticed the damage. You guys are right it is not worth it.

Colorado4wheel - I have read many of your posts and your write up of getting into reloading. Thank you for posting, they are very informative.

IndyGunFreak
08-24-2011, 21:19
Let me start off by saying, I am just getting into reloading, doing a lot of research. I have bought a couple of reloading manuals and started reading them trolling the forums etc...

I was at the pawn shop today and I saw a used RCBS 505 scale for $35. The problem is, the white "leveling" wheel at the bottom is bent slightly up. If I had to guess maybe 3-4 degree bend upward. Imagine a quarter on a flat surface bent 3-4 degrees up.

I didn't get it because of this. Would it still work? Or stay away?

Thank you,
Richard

Buy it.. It has a lifetime warranty.

Call RCBS, they'll tell you where to ship it, and you'll get it back good as new. You'll be into it *maybe* $50 bucks.. and you can't touch that scale for that price.

Now that I think about it, C4W makes a good point, you can spend $50 getting that scale and getting it fixed, or just get the Eliminator new for $55... I'd offer the pawn shop $20.. if they take it, it makes the deal worth it. If they don't, just get an Eliminator.

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
08-25-2011, 06:51
Buy it.. It has a lifetime warranty.

Call RCBS, they'll tell you where to ship it, and you'll get it back good as new. You'll be into it *maybe* $50 bucks.. and you can't touch that scale for that price.

Now that I think about it, C4W makes a good point, you can spend $50 getting that scale and getting it fixed, or just get the Eliminator new for $55... I'd offer the pawn shop $20.. if they take it, it makes the deal worth it. If they don't, just get an Eliminator.

IGF

If you buy the Eliminator from Dillon you get the "Blue Press" every month. Pisses the wife off but I like it.

GIockGuy24
08-25-2011, 09:14
My RCBS 505 is 20 years old and it's my favorite scale. As long as it's stable and can be zeroed it should be alright. For a bent, dropped one I'm not sure I'd pay that much though. Maybe you can talk them down but for all the trouble of trying to maybe fix it, I think I'd go with a good one. Some things wrong with it might not be easy to see.

IndyGunFreak
08-25-2011, 11:15
If you buy the Eliminator from Dillon you get the "Blue Press" every month. Pisses the wife off but I like it.

You can call and request those w/o buying something....

It's like a free Playboy, or you can do like everybody does now days, and look at the catalog online. :)

IGF