most reliable ammo for ruger lcp [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : most reliable ammo for ruger lcp

constantvigilance
08-24-2011, 22:22
I've recently decided to purchase a ruger lcp with a Crimson Trace laser guard for concealed carry at my new job in a bad part of town where I will be working nights. I love my Glock 23 and 27 but with my uniform and body shape I can't keep from printing. Deep concealment is required. I have considered the lc9, lcr, two shot derringers, the s&w bodyguards, and numerous other subcompacts. The lcp is exactly what I want except I would prefer at least a 9mm but the lcp fits the ticket best. My main concern is proper expansion of hollowpoints because of the really short barrel. Since most of the rounds I've seen tested were fired from 4-5 inch barrels I'm concerned that the slower speed of the bullet wont allow for full expansion. Does anybody have some good advice or experience with this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mas Ayoob
08-26-2011, 08:30
If you're looking for bullets designed to expand that feed well, in .380 ACP, the Remington standard line JHP and the Hornady Critical Defense both deserve your attention. (I'd be remiss, though, if I didn't add that I personally think .380 is sub-marginal as a primary defense cartridge.)

This might be a good question to toss out in GT's Caliber Corner section.

best,
Mas

constantvigilance
08-26-2011, 12:50
Thanks Mas. I'm a big fan by the way and I agree with you about the effectiveness of the .380. My normal carry guns are both 40sw but the lcp fits my needs the best for my new job and it would make a fair backup for now as well. I really like the hornady critical defense for my glocks and was going to get it for the lcp but I saw a video where the critical defense was fired from an lcp and when it was pulled from the gel it hadn't expanded. Ill check the other forum and thanks again for the advice.