Fraternal Order of Police [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fraternal Order of Police

eracer
08-25-2011, 05:23
My company gives a modest amount each year to the local FOP.

I've heard some bashing of that organization, with people claiming that they keep a lot of the money for 'administrative costs,' while distributing a relatively small percentage to fallen officers and their families.

There is a local DJ here who has a non-profit charity that contributes to the families of fallen officers. This charity is well-regarded, and I would have no problem moving our donation from the FOP to his, if I felt the money was better spent.

What say the LEO's? Or anyone else who knows whether the FOP really is a worthy cause.

MakeMineA10mm
08-25-2011, 06:13
The FOP is two entities in one. There is the Labor Council, which is the union part, and there is the "Lodge" which is the fraternal part. We've participated a LOT with the Council, but very little with the Lodge, and we've never had ocassion to use the widow-and-orphan part (thank God), so I can't speak intelligently about this.

I could ask our Council rep about it and get back to you, if you'd like. Could take a little while, since it's not an urgent-type thing, but it would get you the info. I have a feeling you could specifically state that you want the money going to the fallen officer fund and that would help. If you just give it to the FOP, it would be split amongst all the administrative and other things they do.

wprebeck
08-25-2011, 07:14
You're probably donating to an associate lodge. I'm a member of the FOP, actually a very active and involved member. Associate lodges are made up of civilians who are typically big supporters of LE, usually good friends and family. The main lodge that the associate falls under generally has final say in what the associate does, and benefits from the fund raising of the associate.

So....yeah, its legit. To be a member of a lodge (not associate,a parent lodge), you must be a full time sworn officer. Retirees and former officers are generally allowed to retain membership,but that is up to the individuals bylaws of each lodge. However, initial membership requires the person to be active in LE, and sworn, per the National Lodge.

We typically help out officers in distress (sick, injured, etc), and we also pay into a legal defense plan, that is there for our use with both administrative and criminal proceedings. That's a big bonus to being a member. Especially when you consider how antagonistic some administrations can be......so yeah, we're legit.

eracer
02-01-2012, 12:26
Revisiting this one. I forgot to thank you guys for your responses.

trdvet
02-01-2012, 14:30
FOP around here is pretty worthless. I wouldn't give any money to them and would rather give it to something or someone more in need. Shame the national people endorsed Eric Holder.

fx77
02-01-2012, 15:17
My FOP chapter gave 60,000$ last year to charities.