Thoughts on "Mere Christianity" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on "Mere Christianity"

ArtificialGrape
08-25-2011, 08:43
Mostly an FYI and placeholder for a later discussion, but since I have over 1.5 hours of commuting weekdays through next Friday I just started listening to the Mere Christianity audio book. Audio is never ideal since I try to keep my 80 mph note taking to a minimum, but I will be back with my thoughts, probably by Monday.

BTW, not my favorite narrator of the audio books that I've listened to.

-ArtificialGrape

Paul7
08-25-2011, 09:01
Mostly an FYI and placeholder for a later discussion, but since I have over 1.5 hours of commuting weekdays through next Friday I just started listening to the Mere Christianity audio book. Audio is never ideal since I try to keep my 80 mph note taking to a minimum, but I will be back with my thoughts, probably by Monday.

-ArtificialGrape

I'll be interested to see what you think.

Triple7
08-25-2011, 09:43
I pretty much like anything written by CS Lewis.

SamRudolph
08-25-2011, 10:16
That's unfortunate about the narrator. "Mere Christianity" actually started as a series of radio addresses Lewis made on the B.B.C. during WWII, and his voice was quite pleasant.

NMG26
08-25-2011, 18:37

-ArtificialGrape

Good Idea AG.

I have never read it.

I was raised on "Evedence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell.

I'm stumling through an interesting one now, called "The kindom of Heaven is Within you" by Leo Tolstoi.

His work is a far cry from sectarian Christainity.

Tilley
08-25-2011, 22:36
I've read the book maybe three times, and always find new insight. Not all of God's inspired words are in the Bible.

Another book you must read is "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran. You will not regret it.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-26-2011, 17:07
I thought it was interesting how Lewis compared some people's skewed views of sex with skewed views of food. He was making a point of how perverted things would be if people categorized their food that same way they categorized--say, a stripper. He said something about how odd it would be if we would obsessively drool over food the way some drool over that stripper.

I guess it was a different time. I wonder if Lewis would make that same non-comparison today, considering things like TV commercials. Viewers today drool over food that they spend a lot of their time trying to avoid.

ArtificialGrape
08-26-2011, 17:11
I thought it was interesting how Lewis compared some people's skewed views of sex with skewed views of food. He was making a point of how perverted things would be if people categorized their food that same way they categorized--say, a stripper. He said something about how odd it would be if we would obsessively drool over food the way some drool over that stripper.

I guess it was a different time. I wonder if Lewis would make that same non-comparison today, considering things like TV commercials. Viewers today drool over food that they spend a lot of their time trying to avoid.

I was planning to wait until I finished the book before commenting, but I have to say, the mutton chop striptease was hilarious.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-26-2011, 18:20
I was planning to wait until I finished the book before commenting, but I have to say, the mutton chop striptease was hilarious.

Ha ha, it's been years since reading that, so I forgot about the mutton.

If I remember right, Lewis spends too much time talking about marriage,considering that he was never married.

If you want to read more apologetics and like suggestions, then consider Hans Kung (he's sort of beyond me, though). Even basic encyclopedias on religion at the library do a comprehensive job of covering some of those philosophical arguments.

muscogee
08-26-2011, 21:43
It's an excellent book. I think Lewis makes some leaps of logic that aren't justified, but overall, it's worthwhile. He makes the case that pride is the worst sin one can commit. It's worth reading for that. I think "The Great Divorce" by Lewis is better.

Tilley
08-26-2011, 23:08
I think "The Great Divorce" by Lewis is better.
I loved the analogy how people in hell are purposely holding on to the chains of sin, and how all they have to do is merely "let go" of the chains...but they never will.

Another awesome book.

SamRudolph
08-27-2011, 08:15
Ha ha, it's been years since reading that, so I forgot about the mutton.

If I remember right, Lewis spends too much time talking about marriage,considering that he was never married.

If you want to read more apologetics and like suggestions, then consider Hans Kung (he's sort of beyond me, though). Even basic encyclopedias on religion at the library do a comprehensive job of covering some of those philosophical arguments.

Lewis actually was married, but late in life at age 58 in 1956, to Joy Gresham, who died of cancer four years after they married. His reflections on her death were, IIRC, the source of his book "A Grief Observed." He also admits in "Mere Christianity" that he had never been married at that point.

It's an excellent book. I think Lewis makes some leaps of logic that aren't justified, but overall, it's worthwhile. He makes the case that pride is the worst sin one can commit. It's worth reading for that. I think "The Great Divorce" by Lewis is better.

Agree.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-27-2011, 13:38
Lewis actually was married, but late in life at age 58 in 1956, to Joy Gresham, who died of cancer four years after they married. His reflections on her death were, IIRC, the source of his book "A Grief Observed." He also admits in "Mere Christianity" that he had never been married at that point.

Ah, thanks. I never knew he was married in later life.

Paul7
08-29-2011, 14:58

See the movie "Shadowlands" and the book "And God Came In" by Lyle Dorsett about his relationship with Joy Gresham.

Here is the inscription on Joy's headstone, written by Lewis:

"Here the whole world (stars, water, air,
And field, and forest, as they were
Reflected in a single mind)
Like cast off clothes was left behind
In ashes, yet with hope that she,
Re-born from holy poverty,
In lenten lands, hereafter may
Resume them on her Easter Day."

Tilley
08-29-2011, 16:10
Here is the inscription on Joy's headstone, written by Lewis:

"Here the whole world (stars, water, air,
And field, and forest, as they were
Reflected in a single mind)
Like cast off clothes was left behind
In ashes, yet with hope that she,
Re-born from holy poverty,
In lenten lands, hereafter may
Resume them on her Easter Day."

Nice.

Paul7
08-29-2011, 16:35
I loved the analogy how people in hell are purposely holding on to the chains of sin, and how all they have to do is merely "let go" of the chains...but they never will.

As we see on this forum, men will give up their rationality before they give up their rebellion against God.

ArtificialGrape
08-29-2011, 19:25
I did make it through the end of the audio book today, but it may take me another day or so to review my voice memos and napkin notes.

muscogee
08-29-2011, 20:49
As we see on this forum, men will give up their rationality before they give up their rebellion against God.

And what about the man who continually complains about the people in Heaven who are less deserving than him? How many of those are in this forum?

Paul7
09-01-2011, 13:34
And what about the man who continually complains about the people in Heaven who are less deserving than him? How many of those are in this forum?

None, that I know of.

NMG26
09-01-2011, 15:41

I don't think that we can rebel against God.

The All Mighty.

No.......we rebel against doctirne and dogma.
When we live according to the flesh we harm ourselves. We in no way harm God.

You can't fight God.........you can fight a concept.

muscogee
09-01-2011, 18:33
None, that I know of.

Too bad. They're everywhere.