New keyboard and mouse question from an idiot! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New keyboard and mouse question from an idiot!

Big Dog Dad
08-25-2011, 08:53
I'm installing a new mouse and keyboard. The old ones were connected through the PS2 ports on the motherboard. Since the new ones only have the USB connectors, can I just plug these into the USB ports and will windows recognize them? Like I said, a simple question from a simple person!

-=BDD=-

kc8ykd
08-25-2011, 08:58
generally, yes.

windows contains basic drivers for things like keyboards and mice, however, if they have special features like additional buttons and other stuff, you'll probably have to load the manufacturer's drivers to access/customize them.

GIockGuy24
08-25-2011, 11:49
On some computer they work best from the rear USB ports and not so good from the front ones for some reason. There are adapters for USB to PS/2 for the mouse. Some USB mice include one. There may be some for the keyboard too but I haven' use one on the keyboard. Some computers even have a difference with inside and outside USB ports on the rear of the computerfor some reason. I kno certain USB devices work best in certain USB ports on certain computers. Usually printers and scanners with USB can be picky about USB ports. Usually they aren't a problem though. Additional drivers should be found by Windows and won't require installing drivers from a disc or the internet.