kcb! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : kcb!

BabyTaz
08-25-2011, 19:36
if/when you get a chance, can you please fill us in on the whole FB/teacher drama? I hadn't realized there was something court involved! :shocked:

kcb
08-26-2011, 03:53
I will tonight!

:wavey:

smith10
08-26-2011, 04:07
I am interested to hear this also.

sweetatergal
08-26-2011, 08:39
I know here in DeSoto County Schools, Teachers and Teacher Assistants are not allowed to have anyone "friended" under the age of 18 unless they are IMMEDIATE family.....mainly their children are the only ones allowed under 18.

tous
08-26-2011, 09:00
Just what is the power, expressed in ergs, of a Southern Belle Temper Tantrum?

Dinky
08-26-2011, 09:16

Does the scale go that high?

sweetatergal
08-26-2011, 10:31

We WILL get our way! :whistling: :rofl:

sweetatergal
08-26-2011, 10:32
Does the scale go that high?

No, afraid not! :tongueout:

kcb
08-26-2011, 15:04
This is the case that was used as the example when we were informed, on our first day back for pre-planning, at school this year, that we are required to sign a form, in our county about our participation on "social networks" such as Facebook.

I work in a different county than the one in the Orlando County stated in the article. But I live in Florida, and work in a county in the greater Orlando area.
I'm not sure if it was a requirement statewide. I will find out, though. I've been way to busy to even think about it, yet!

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/08/26/class-resumes-for-florida-teacher-suspended-for-criticizing-same-sex-marriage/

This teacher in the article, stated, very strongly, his opinion on the subject.

VERY strongly.

However, I will support his right to express his opinion on any day!!!

He HAS been reinstated to his job, but he COULD have lost it just as well.

He was administratively placed in an administrative position AWAY from contact with his students.

So....Do you think his rights were violated?

I dropped my Facebook....at least for a few weeks or so.

My daughter helped me verify that I have the tighest security settings that I can have, AND I dropped my employer from my profile.

What do you think?

The statement we had to sign, basically stated, as well, that we are responsible for what our FB friends post on our wall. :shocked:

Though, I have deleted "acquaintance friends" that have used language that is very offensive to me, because that is NOT what I'm about. So, I'm already cautious. But I'm NOT responsible for everything...I do not have time to watch it every day and monitor everything like that!

Dinky
08-26-2011, 16:52
This is the case that was used as the example when we were informed, on our first day back for pre-planning, at school this year, that we are required to sign a form, in our county about our participation on "social networks" such as Facebook.

I work in a different county than the one in the Orlando County stated in the article. But I live in Florida, and work in a county in the greater Orlando area.
I'm not sure if it was a requirement statewide. I will find out, though. I've been way to busy to even think about it, yet!

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/08/26/class-resumes-for-florida-teacher-suspended-for-criticizing-same-sex-marriage/

This teacher in the article, stated, very strongly, his opinion on the subject.

VERY strongly.

However, I will support his right to express his opinion on any day!!!

He HAS been reinstated to his job, but he COULD have lost it just as well.

He was administratively placed in an administrative position AWAY from contact with his students.

So....Do you think his rights were violated?

I dropped my Facebook....at least for a few weeks or so.

My daughter helped me verify that I have the tighest security settings that I can have, AND I dropped my employer from my profile.

What do you think?

The statement we had to sign, basically stated, as well, that we are responsible for what our FB friends post on our wall. :shocked:

Though, I have deleted "acquaintance friends" that have used language that is very offensive to me, because that is NOT what I'm about. So, I'm already cautious. But I'm NOT responsible for everything...I do not have time to watch it every day and monitor everything like that!

Hope you did not get in trouble for me poking you so many times:wow:

kcb
08-26-2011, 17:35
Hope you did not get in trouble for me poking you so many times:wow:

I got in trouble because YOU started it! :poke:

NO, I haven't gotten in trouble for anything. AND I don't plan on it!

I'm usually pretty careful, but once I laughed at a joke that one of my best friend's daughters posted. She is my friend, but she's not my student. Besides, she's also my daughter's best friend, and she's now married and has
two daughters of her own.

I just don't like that I have to worry if I do laugh at a joke.

If it is okay with my God, and it's okay with my husband, then it shouldn't matter to anyone else. (My husband laughed at the joke, too. IF My God might have not been happy with it, I would delete it for that reason....not because of my employer.)

:supergrin:

BabyTaz
08-26-2011, 21:00
I don't think teachers should be FB friends with their students. And probably not with the parents, unless that was a relationship that was established prior to the child joining the teacher's class. I would be ok with the teacher having a specific FB page JUST for the students for the purpose of reminding about homework and helping with class work. But it would have to be something the school and parents were allowed to monitor. I think something more public would be prefered to teachers and students privately e-mailing each other.

I have mixed thoughts on what your work can and can't do about/with what you put on social networks. I think your thoughts and opinions on religion, values, etc. are your own and they can't "bust" you for those. However, if you are bad mouthing your job or posting about doing things that completely countermind some sort of basic core value of your job (like a teacher saying the want to have "relations" with a child) THAT can be used against you. I also think things like being on some sort of medical leave and then posting about all the fun things you are out doing can potentially be used against you.

kcb
08-27-2011, 09:10
I don't think teachers should be FB friends with their students. And probably not with the parents, unless that was a relationship that was established prior to the child joining the teacher's class. I would be ok with the teacher having a specific FB page JUST for the students for the purpose of reminding about homework and helping with class work. But it would have to be something the school and parents were allowed to monitor. I think something more public would be prefered to teachers and students privately e-mailing each other.

I have mixed thoughts on what your work can and can't do about/with what you put on social networks. I think your thoughts and opinions on religion, values, etc. are your own and they can't "bust" you for those. However, if you are bad mouthing your job or posting about doing things that completely countermind some sort of basic core value of your job (like a teacher saying the want to have "relations" with a child) THAT can be used against you. I also think things like being on some sort of medical leave and then posting about all the fun things you are out doing can potentially be used against you.

I have had a policy since I first joined facebook that I will NOT befriend my students. I was friends with a few parents, and am. Their children no longer go to our school. One in fact, lives in England now. I think I only have two.
I'd have to look to be sure. Well, I guess I have a few more than that because a few of my co-workers are my friends and they have children who are also my students. But I will not accept friendship requests from my students. When a student requests my friendship, I talk to them at school about it. NOW it is policy....we can NOT do it.

As far as communicating with the parents, we have a school e-mail account that we can use to communicate with the parents. I rarely have to do that...every student in the school IS my student. If they need to talk to me, they either call me, or see me in the morning when I'm on duty. It's rare. But when I was a homeroom teacher, it was either a conference or e-mail.
(I teach a special area class...computer technology lab now.)

I think that for most people, common sense tells you not to bad mouth your employer online. When I said I was going to leave Facebook for awhile online...my co-workers ALL asked me at work the next day WHY? If it was because of the statement. I just want to distant myself for a little while. Put some time between me and the whole issue for a little while. Most of them said they didn't blame me. Others said they aren't worried about it...how can they monitor us, and they can only see what people put on our wall. We aren't responsible for what our friends post everywhere else on facebook.

I do think that I've basically been very careful about what I say. I do agree with political statements and religious statements, and sometimes copy them into my status. We had a little coffee clutch one morning, and MY BOSS was there...when this all broke. I said probably religious comments could get one in hot water as fast as anything else. He said he wasn't sure about it, but he's not on Facebook so he's not overly concerned about the issue. I know how cautious you have to be on other websites period. But my boss is pretty open minded about everything. We have prayer meetings every Monday morning, and he supports that. One of our staff members lost their brother in a boating accident the last day of preplanning, and he called us together to announce it, and we all joined hands and prayed for the family. So, he's very open minded about EVERY view point! If he were in charge of overseeing it, I would NOT worry! He's very fair!

Freedom of speech is something that some say we never really had....but we may be seeing it slip further away.

I agree that we are professionals and as such, we have to rise to a higher calling. I try to do that with every breath that I take. I'm NOT perfect. I suppose that someone abuses something and we all pay for it.

I believe this man had the freedom of speech right to say what he did. He was a bit strong or harsh the way he said it, but it was his opinion.

IF it infringes on a child and their safety, then absolutely it is unprofessional and if it is found out, something should be done.