Well They Took our 3rd Gen Glock 22's away and gave us 4th Gens. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Well They Took our 3rd Gen Glock 22's away and gave us 4th Gens.

BLACK Z
08-26-2011, 08:31
They just issued everyone 4th Gens so far they seem ok, the grip can be a little rough on your hands, they seem to have less recoil then the 3rd Gens, What do you guys think of them?

razdog76
08-26-2011, 08:55
I bought one, and sold it. I really liked the changes from my G22 I used as a duty weapon for ten years, and especially liked the grip until I shot it. The grip is very sharp, which was distracting enough for me for the groups to open up quite a bit compared to what I know what I do with my old G22/27, and my Sig P220.

When I retired my G22 and went to a Sig P220, I decided I really like the grip angle everyone else seems to use but Glock.

bruzer
08-26-2011, 09:39
Gen 4 G22 is my first Glock and the sharpness of the grip is the first thing I notice when shooting. I like the feeling and even with sweating palms it works. The smaller grip works well for both my Wife and I. The finish of the slide looks absolutely horrible at times but so far it shows no signs of wear. Not even in the slide rails. The plating on the frame rails has begun to flake off (Is that normal?). A dremel and buffer pad make it smooth again. A little bit of rust on the frame pins from lots of sweat (carry IWB). A quick push with a punch, rub down with some CLP and all is well.
Mike

mikegun
08-26-2011, 09:43
A little bit of fine sandpaper works wonders on the gen 4 grips....

Sam Spade
08-26-2011, 13:19
Down in Southern AZ, several agencies are transitioning to the G22 Gen 4. What I'm seeing:

Regardless of the 9mm recoil spring issues, the .40 flavor is working. No failures to feed popping up. (Officers are transitioning with 60-100 rounds in a single session, recruits are training with about 3500-4000 over a couple weeks. Multiplied by about 1100 guns, and we're statistically significant.)

The vast majority of shooters are going with the naked frame, as did I. The combination of deeper seat in the hand and the recoil spring above are making follow up shots faster. It's not a huge difference, but noticable. When I find my PACT, I'll try to get some times for you.

Some lefties are complaining about the size of the magazine release button and how it rubs the middle finger. I've found no one who's opted to switch it over. They all say that they don't want to relearn the reload under stress.

A few of the ham-handed guys are opting for an after-market beavertail. Glock promises an equivalent piece in the works, but it's not out yet.

Just some observations.

ray9898
08-26-2011, 15:44
Love em. Glock really implemented some simple designs that really improved the product.

BLACK Z
08-26-2011, 19:50
I like the bigger grip my self I dont know if it because what I am used to, I am trying the smaller grip and my next range session and see how it goes. I always added the Hogue grip to my 3 RD Gens Because I felt there wasnt alot of grip and i liked the way the handle felt being a little wider.

boomhower
08-26-2011, 20:19
We changed last year and haven't had any issues. Granted we are a smaller agency of ~40 and most guns only have 300 rounds through them. My favorite change is the larger magazine release by far.

4949shooter
08-27-2011, 04:42
Love em. Glock really implemented some simple designs that really improved the product.

Definately for the .40 /.357 the changes were improvements.

I am not so sure about the 9mm...at least as far as the inner design changes are concerned.

BobbyT
08-27-2011, 04:54
Well if no one else is going to do it:

First they came for the Gen 1s, and I did not speak out because I didn't shoot Gen 1s...

Straight Pipe
08-27-2011, 10:50
I posted this before and got greef over in another thread, but I'll do it again scince most people here actually use a Glock for work and seem more open to an opinion.

I have a Gen-4 G22 and had a Pachmeyer grip sleeve (designated for a full size frame) on it. I found that there was a deisgn flaw being that the grip sleeve did not have any receses in the finger groves on the inside of the sleeve causing it to slip around fall off the finger groves (I beleive it was originally designed for the Gen-2 / no fingergroves) plus the whole sleeve overwhelmed my hand.

I had a Pachmeyer grip sleeve for my G27 (baby Glock) that I wasn't using and tried it in the G22. Scince the finger groves are recessed it fit the gun like a glove and also scince it doesn't cover the entire grip it only fills up the palm of my hand and doesn't overwhelm my hand.

There: I said it again. Now feel free to flame away and tell me all how a bicycle innertube is cheaper and works just as well.

glocksalot
08-27-2011, 18:16
my department started getting our shipment of gen4 g22's about 4-5 months ago and it has been smooth sailing from what our training department has said...hope it continues to go smoothly because i want to upgrade from my gen3 g22 soon

BLACK Z
08-27-2011, 19:58
I hate Pachmeyer grips, Hogues to me are much better.

Ajon412
08-28-2011, 04:34
I hate Pachmeyer grips, Hogues to me are much better.

Have you tried the Lone Wolf grip sleeve? I've tried all three and prefer the LW. Give them a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.....:wavey:.... My agency is slowly transitioning over to Gen 4 / G22's from Gen 3 / 23's and 22's. So far the feedback and performance have been positive...

BLACK Z
08-28-2011, 05:24
Nah Havent tried it, it looks kind of like the hogue.

Magicmanmb
08-28-2011, 18:12
Spoke with Glock last week the RTF & gen 4 grips are going to be smoothed as the gen 3. Too many complaints of damage to uniforms seatbelts & hands.

arcanetripwire
08-28-2011, 21:45
My department issued Gen 4 G22's and I have to say I'm more fond of them over the Gen3

ucop27
08-29-2011, 11:56
The vast majority of shooters are going with the naked frame, as did I. (Same thing with my department which surprised me)

Some lefties are complaining about the size of the magazine release button and how it rubs the middle finger. I've found no one who's opted to switch it over. They all say that they don't want to relearn the reload under stress. (I switch the mag release over on 1 gun, I am a lefty and have no issues with the placement or size of the mag release)

Just some observations.

I have seen qualification scores for my department increase since we have switched over, especially for the challeneged officers. I personally like the rough finish.

Knute
08-29-2011, 15:19
Spoke with Glock last week the RTF & gen 4 grips are going to be smoothed as the gen 3. Too many complaints of damage to uniforms seatbelts & hands.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I hate how smooth their other grips are. I've always had to use something like a pachmyer or hogue grip on mine because they were too smooth.

DOrth
08-30-2011, 10:41
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I hate how smooth their other grips are. I've always had to use something like a pachmyer or hogue grip on mine because they were too smooth.

I've stippled and reduced mine because I have never cared for the rubber wrap around grips and wanted a rougher texture as well as a higher grip on the pistols (as well as wanting as slim of a frame as possible).

I bought a Gen 4 model 19 with the RTF frame just for that reason. I've carried it concealed several times since running 500+ rounds through it without any malfunctions at all. Seriously, if someone doesn't like the RTF frame all they need to do is use a bit of high grit sandpaper to smooth it to where they want it, like someone posted earlier. There's no need for Glock to jack up a perfectly good frame when they offer a smoother frame already in the Gen 4 besides the RTF.

DOrth
08-30-2011, 10:47
I have seen qualification scores for my department increase since we have switched over, especially for the challeneged officers. I personally like the rough finish.

Same here. The RTF offers a superior gripping surface of the pistol so it doesn't move nearly as much in the hand(s) ESPECIALLY if the hands are wet. I have ZERO complaints, not heard any from other officers that have Gen 4's with the RTF.

Magicmanmb
09-01-2011, 11:40
I think they were starting to lose some of there market share to Smith & Wesson. I know at least 5 departments that have switched to the M&P. There are only 4 Glocks on authorized off duty or other than issue, G21, G22, G19 & G23. only reason I want a Gen 3 G22 is for personal use to be able to change from .40 to .357sig, 9mm, & 22lr. I had the RTF G22 & traded it after
qualification wore through a pair of duty gloves leather kevlar and all the way to skin. The only modification I can make to a carry weapon is to change from a 5.0lb connector to a NY 1.

Knute
09-01-2011, 20:39
I think they were starting to lose some of there market share to Smith & Wesson. I know at least 5 departments that have switched to the M&P. There are only 4 Glocks on authorized off duty or other than issue, G21, G22, G19 & G23. only reason I want a Gen 3 G22 is for personal use to be able to change from .40 to .357sig, 9mm, & 22lr. I had the RTF G22 & traded it after
qualification wore through a pair of duty gloves leather kevlar and all the way to skin. The only modification I can make to a carry weapon is to change from a 5.0lb connector to a NY 1.

Would it make a difference if you were using the current Gen 4 grips vs. the RTF? I'm assuming, based on what I've read, that these are different.

Magicmanmb
09-02-2011, 15:54
Would it make a difference if you were using the current Gen 4 grips vs. the RTF? I'm assuming, based on what I've read, that these are different.

The RTF grips are to me like trying to shoot a already sharp recoiling pistol wrapped in 40grit sandpaper. Even in the catalog from Glock they describe them as pointed diamond paramid shape.

The Gen 4 they smoothed down but it still a rough grip. I used skate tape on my gen 3. But it gave me the option of placement and amount to use.

BLACK Z
09-03-2011, 09:45
My Gen 4 was made last Month ( August ) The Grip is Rougher then my 3 rd Gen How do I know if Ihave the toned down version or not?

The RTF Grip is difrent then any of the 4 Th Gen grips?

Sharky7
09-03-2011, 16:47

Is that for all Gen 4's or only the intended law enforcement orders?

Magicmanmb
09-03-2011, 18:19
Is that for all Gen 4's or only the intended law enforcement orders?

From what service department said it's across the board. Not just LE, having problems with the ambi mag release for all. When the stock they have is gone it'll be back to what we have had for years.

Magicmanmb
09-03-2011, 18:23
My Gen 4 was made last Month ( August ) The Grip is Rougher then my 3 rd Gen How do I know if Ihave the toned down version or not?

The RTF Grip is difrent then any of the 4 Th Gen grips?

RTF looks like pyramids and feels to me like 40 grit sandpaper or rougher.
Gen4 has a toned down version of the RTF. IMO Glock was to late with the changeable backstraps & playing catchup.