357 sig dies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 357 sig dies

Snapper2
08-26-2011, 12:25
Looking into getting a sig barrel for a gen4 g23. Since(?) it headspaces off the shoulder, what dies are best? I prefer Lee w/ factory bottleneck crimp die. This setup has worked out ok in loading 400cor bon for me.

sig357fan
08-26-2011, 12:48
I use the Lee set for 357 Sig but got a 40 S&W carbide sizing die to size the body of the brass, then I use the standard 357 Sig sizing die to size the neck and shoulder of the brass, no lube required.

sig357fan

Snapper2
08-26-2011, 12:58
I use the Lee set for 357 Sig but got a 40 S&W carbide sizing die to size the body of the brass, then I use the standard 357 Sig sizing die to size the neck and shoulder of the brass, no lube required.

sig357fan

cool:cool: I tried that method with 400cb but decided to lube each case after a comparison. I will try it with 357sig though. I'm swapping barrels to see if I can group better at 25yds.:crying:

fredj338
08-26-2011, 13:11
Best, Dillon hands, down, they are carbide. You would need an expander if not loading on a dillon or LNL w/ powder thru expander. Use a 9mm powder thru. Any other brand is fine but RCBS IMO, they just got the whole headspace thing wrong.

Three-Five-Seven
08-26-2011, 13:35
Well, you're a pretty smart cookie to know that 357 sig reloads headspace off the shoulder.

Do not get RCBS dies in this caliber.

The two brands of dies that have never had a disparaging word spoken about them are Lee and Dillon in the 357 Sig caliber.

amazon
08-26-2011, 14:51

sig357fan

Same here, but rcbs dies on a 550. Same approach :)

jeffreybehr
08-26-2011, 16:05

Me too; I use all 4 dies in a Lee turret press.

PCJim
08-26-2011, 19:36
Another LEE dies user. Insert the 40S&W toolhead w/carbide sizer for the first pass on the 550, finish up with the 357Sig dies on their own toolhead.

Hopefully testing these Longshot loads this weekend.

Wil Terry
08-27-2011, 07:32
Looking into getting a sig barrel for a gen4 g23. Since(?) it headspaces off the shoulder, what dies are best? I prefer Lee w/ factory bottleneck crimp die. This setup has worked out ok in loading 400cor bon for me.

ACTUALLY, it is the ONLY bottlenecked cartridge in the history of the world that was designed NOT to headspace off the shoulder. It was designed to headspace off the case mouth just like 45ACP etc. NO...I am not kidding.
And so it goes

Smoker
08-27-2011, 08:04
I'm not a brand expert since I've only used my RCBS & loaded several thousand rounds of different weights but mine work fine for me..

Three-Five-Seven
08-27-2011, 08:38
ACTUALLY, it is the ONLY bottlenecked cartridge in the history of the world that was designed NOT to headspace off the shoulder. It was designed to headspace off the case mouth just like 45ACP etc. NO...I am not kidding.
And so it goes

Spoken like someone who's never worked with reloading this cartridge, has read too much on the internet, and is vying for the Keyboard Range Master High Honors Award.

Sir, your post is not helpful.

fredj338
08-27-2011, 08:39
And so it goes
So "they" have said, even RCBS designed the dies that way, but just about anyone reloading for it will tell you the shoulder sets the headspace. That was known from day one by early reloaders using 40 brass necked down. The result was a case too short to possibly headspace on the case mouth. So despite what the reloading books say, old info BTW, you will have best results setting the dies up to headspace off the small shoulder.

Wil Terry
08-27-2011, 18:11
Spoken like someone who's never worked with reloading this cartridge, has read too much on the internet, and is vying for the Keyboard Range Master High Honors Award.

Sir, your post is not helpful.
NO !!?? WHAT is helpful is for all here to see you know nothing and try to cover it up with balogna. TIS better for folks to think you're ignorent than open your mouth and leave NO doubt !!!
SIR.......I WAS ON THE DEVELOPEMENT TEAM THAT INTRODUCED IT TO ANOTHER AMMUNITION COMPANY AND USED THE ORIGINAL SAAMI DRAWINGS TO START WITH.
AND EVERYONE asked SIG, Whatin'ell were you thinking ??? To which their only sensible answer was uuuuuuuhhh...We didn't know then...
And so it goes....

Three-Five-Seven
08-27-2011, 18:34
NO !!?? WHAT is helpful is for all here to see you know nothing and try to cover it up with balogna. TIS better for folks to think you're ignorent than open your mouth and leave NO doubt !!!
SIR.......I WAS ON THE DEVELOPEMENT TEAM THAT INTRODUCED IT TO ANOTHER AMMUNITION COMPANY AND USED THE ORIGINAL SAAMI DRAWINGS TO START WITH.
AND EVERYONE asked SIG, Whatin'ell were you thinking ??? To which their only sensible answer was uuuuuuuhhh...We didn't know then...
And so it goes....

Well, la-de-dah.

fredj338
08-27-2011, 18:57
And so it goes....
SO you are the one responsible for all the confusiuon? It may have been thought of as to headspace on the case mouth, but most guns, most ammo, it is not. It's either being held in place by the exrctor or headspaces on the shoulder. Load it enough & it becomes easily apparent.:dunno: