Freeze dried food companies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Freeze dried food companies

ClydeG19
08-26-2011, 18:48
I've spent a few hours looking at freeze dried food companies. So far, I've looked at Daily Bread, efoodsdirect, Honeyville Grains, Tomorrow's Harvest, and Shelf Reliance. So far, it seems that the best deal to get a basic food prep going of food we will actually eat seems like Shelf Reliance's Thrive 1 year package. That will give my family of four two months worth of prepared meals for a little over $2k. I could go with a place like Survival Acres that sell you 10 buckets of wheat, rice, and beans for $600, but I think that would get a little old.

Anyone discover any other sites, preferably where you don't have to hunt for prices, that offer food prep packages?

farmer-dave
08-26-2011, 19:46
Their is Wise food storage, and Mountain house, and the company that I can't think of their name but you can buy through sam's. Probably a bunch more out there. Buy a little prepared, buy some canned, and buy some basics like beans and rice. Never stock just one thing.

kirgi08
08-26-2011, 20:19
Get sample packs and try them,after you hear the reviews decide.'08.

Lone Kimono
08-26-2011, 23:25
Check the weight on the Shelf Reliance cans to make sure you are getting your money's worth. Honeyville Grains and Augason Farms are good. http://www.augasonfarms.com/

G29Reload
08-27-2011, 00:37
Honeyville Farms is the bomb.

It can't be all about price, because while that helps, if its crap all the savings won't taste very good!

Honeyville Farms isn't the cheapest but isnt that high, really. I latched onto them when all comments pointed towards them having the best powdered eggs on the market and I ain't starting Armageddon without breakfast!

quake
09-03-2011, 18:47
...Buy a little prepared, buy some canned, and buy some basics like beans and rice. Never stock just one thing.

+1 on diversity, and on plain-jane canned foods as well. Some here probably get tired of me soapboxing on canned-food shelf life, but listed shelf life on most canned food really is extremely conservative as long as it's in even a semi-decent environment. I had some del monte mixed fruit (basically fruit cocktail without the cherries) today with a "use by" date of January 31, 2009; still perfectly good.

Grayson
09-04-2011, 09:52
+2 on Diversity. Canned and other basic grocery store staples with decent shelf like make up quite a bit of my storage. I have some MH entree #10 cans and other #10 cans of rice n beans, etc, put back as well. The killer shelf like is a big plus. And a few MREs for "grab and go" use - those you can make your own MREs from the grocery shelf as well, just have to rotate a bit more often is all...

DustyJacket
09-04-2011, 10:02
.... listed shelf life on most canned food really is extremely conservative as long as it's in even a semi-decent environment. I had some del monte mixed fruit (basically fruit cocktail without the cherries) today with a "use by" date of January 31, 2009; still perfectly good.

We still have a GENERIC can of beets (Remember the white labelled generics way back). I don't think it has a "use by" data.... :whistling:

quake
09-04-2011, 11:26
...(Remember the white labelled generics way back)...

Those were the days, huh...? I actually bought a generic book like that once, probably 1979 or 80. Just a plain white cover with black-printed UPC and the title - "Western" - on the cover. :supergrin:

kirgi08
09-04-2011, 11:40
Ya talking about cans with b/w pics.I've got a a few cases of asst content,the pork is great for bbq.'08.