So we truely have hit a new low. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So we truely have hit a new low.

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2011, 20:27
Apparently, the most interesting conversation around here lately is about the weather. And that is with WiskyT who I am pretty sure is totally in the bag most the time. SURELY, someone is doing something interesting.

-I am still trying to figure out how to cast lead bullets.

-Perhaps someone has a problem with a LnL we can talk about.

-Maybe someone has a issue with a Dillon we can talk about. Those Primer loaders are really a PITA sometimes.

ANYTHING is better then talking to WiskyT about the weather.

SOMETHING:dunno::dunno:

IndyGunFreak
08-26-2011, 20:35
Never heard the term "in the bag".. whats that mean?

As for activity, sorry.. been busy w/ life here for a while. I still check here regularly, and have noticed it's slowed quite a bit.

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2011, 20:44
Never heard the term "in the bag".. whats that mean?

in the bag Drunk; often half in the bag. This may be a shortened version of the now infrequently heard tie a bag on, which may itself be related to bag as nautical slang for ‘pot of beer.’ The precise origin is unknown.

PCJim
08-26-2011, 20:53
Well, in all the excitement, I prepped roughly 500 .223 cases last night - trimmed, chamfered and deburred. About to go swage their backsides. My nephew is coming over for a visit this weekend and wants to go shooting. I'll be teaching him how to load up some 30-06 rounds for his Rem 750. If luck holds, I'll get to chrony some of those 44mag and 357sig rounds that have been sitting around here for a while waiting on the weather to cooperate (remember, this is Florida and we get frequent rainstorms as well as the occasional named storm).

Hoser
08-26-2011, 20:55
My #2 1050 isnt working right now. I loaded up 4,000 pcs of 38 Short Colt on it earlier this week and now it is sitting idle.

Kinda like being broken I guess.

How about this?

I cant seat the Montane Gold 142s all the way to the cannelure. If I do the case bulges at the bottom and they wont easily drop in the cylinder of my 627. I bet a LFCD would fix that.

I will just take my AI-X in 243 to the range tomorrow and shoot it instead. Maybe Lizard will show up.

PCJim
08-26-2011, 20:59
Darn Steve, I just now realized your pun....

"So we truly have hit a new low."

:rofl::rofl:

Boxerglocker
08-26-2011, 21:01
I'm still moving into my new place, bought a new townhouse with a 2 car garage, still deciding on what to do as far as getting my bench set-up again. Everything is boxed up and likely to stay that way for at least 2 more weeks. :crying:

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2011, 21:02
My #2 1050 isnt working right now. I loaded up 4,000 pcs of 38 Short Colt on it earlier this week and now it is sitting idle.

Kinda like being broken I guess.

How about this?

I cant seat the Montane Gold 142s all the way to the cannelure. If I do the case bulges at the bottom and they wont easily drop in the cylinder of my 627. I bet a LFCD would fix that.

I will just take my AI-X in 243 to the range tomorrow and shoot it instead. Maybe Lizard will show up.

We need a FCD war again. It's been a long time.

Colorado4Wheel
08-26-2011, 21:04
Darn Steve, I just now realized your pun....

"So we truly have hit a new low."

:rofl::rofl:

Billy Joel would be proud.

EL_NinO619
08-26-2011, 21:21
You guys always made fun of me and my LnL, so Ive been in therapy this whole time and could not afford components.. No Ive been busy, But i did just score a 1908 Colt .25acp hammer less that I'm going to shot tomorrow and save the brass and reload... Maybe. I have got a lot of new toys but mainly gun stuff, not reloading. I will post pics. Oh ya my lucky brother got a job at GUNS magazine (he's not even really into guns).

PCJim
08-26-2011, 22:03
Lucky you - free tickets to the SHOT show?

PCJim
08-26-2011, 22:05
Gotta love the simplicity and efficiency of the Super Swage. All those .223 cases are now fully prepped and ready for priming, charging and capping.

StaTiK
08-26-2011, 22:15
I totally agree, I used to check this place multiple times per day for all of the fascinating info as well as the "characters" that you get to feel like you know after a while. Lately it's been downright boring.

I wish I had something profound to add myself... I've been buying lead lately, even though I don't cast yet. I'm temporarily in California (which doesn't help), and I've called a ton of scrap yards and recyclers but no one will sell. They do offer me an average of 8 cents per pound if I decide to sell to them though. :upeyes: Everything is mail order which is less than ideal when it comes to lead.

I found a deal on a Dillon 650 on Craigslist: press and casefeeder plus 9 conversions (with dies) for $900. Unfortunately I found it 2 hours after posting and it was long gone.

Google also provided me a lead on a progressive Ammomaster at a garage sale out of state for a good price. I called and left a message assuming that it didn't sell in Podunk, Nowheresville but never received a call back.

-StaTiK-

Angry Fist
08-26-2011, 22:23
Ummm.... I picked up some sawdust today!

crsuribe
08-26-2011, 22:46
The weather sucked today. It was humid as hell and hotter than usual. I hate this weather. So who else is mad about the weather?

Angry Fist
08-26-2011, 22:49
The weather sucked today. It was humid as hell and hotter than usual. I hate this weather. So who else is mad about the weather?
Wednesday sucked, but it's been nice for a few weeks! :supergrin:

How's it goin', bud?

davesretired1
08-26-2011, 23:09
114 today!! Actually felt pretty good after Tuesday ( 116 ). :rofl:

Zombie Steve
08-27-2011, 01:11
Well, I'm a little anxious about tomorrow morning.

Earlier in the week, my wife made a big pot of chili. It really was pretty good. Wednesday night we had something else, then last night we had the chili again because it was just easy. This morning, I was amazed at the sheer volume and how little the chili seemed to change going through me.

Tonight, we went to see Ray up the pass. Guess what was for dinner.

Let's just say that when I start casting tomorrow morning I'm going to make sure I'm never more than 4 feet away from some shop towels... just in case.

:ack:

DoctaGlockta
08-27-2011, 03:52
Well I finally got my Hi Point 45 carbine back from the manufacturer. They took care of a lot of things for me and upgraded several items as well. It came back with an extra mag. Shoots sweet and on target (even for me).

I scored some extra 45ACP brass Thursday and yesterday at the ranges I went to. The stuff from yesterday has to be sorted out as it was contaminated with SPP. I'm now quite sure that I will never use all the 45 acp brass I have stocked up.

There are a few guys that don't frequent around here. Perhaps someone should start a 'Where are they now' thread. That might spice things up a bit.

WiskyT
08-27-2011, 05:52
I don't drink.

My wife cleans her minivan out by dumping everything on my side of the garage, then complains that I have too much junk in the garage. Yesterday, I took all of her half drank water bottles, half empty party favor bags from the never ending stream of kiddie parties, a flat soccer ball, and various other junk from my side of the garage and through it on her side of the garage. She had to clean it all up to pull her car in.

My car doesn't fit in the garage (too long) so my side is for the mower, tools bicycles, and bullet casting.

I have peewee soccer practice this morning and my daughter's soccer game after that.

WiskyT
08-27-2011, 06:12
Okay, which one of these guys is more likely to be a reloader?

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/Untitled-1.jpg

RYT 2BER
08-27-2011, 06:15
How about caliber war.. I love the. 40! :supergrin:

Beanie-Bean
08-27-2011, 08:06
Speaking of .40 S&W...

I read about this Redding die (dual-ring carbide) which is supposed to properly size those cases. Didn't know if I could do this at Station 1 on the 550, or if I'd have to get a single-stage press to do that.

Looks like there is a decapping pin there, so perhaps for the .40 toolhead, I could just get this:

Dillon die set (good for .40/10mm)
Redding dual-ring sizing die (for .40 only...didn't look like 10mm was available)
Dillon Powder Funnel
Dillon Locator Pins

I already have the correct shell plate, which shipped with my 9mm set, which I still have to get setup, but not until I get some test loads done for .45 ACP.

I had to wait for the kinetic bullet hammer to arrive, as I created way too many dummy rounds, in an effort to get the correct OAL and crimp size down.

Here's what I've learned so far from some of the more recent readings:

OAL can be quickly brought in by placing a completed round at Stations 3 & 4 while setting up the dies. I'll do this for the 9mm set I still need to do.
Resizing the .357 SIG can be done with the .40 die.
Small pistol primers exist in some .45 ACP.
Reloading is a great way to curb gun-purchasing activities. However, it does present some costs of its own.
I will never look at small plastic bins the same way. I even went to get some label maker tape to fire up my old label maker. I've been trying to pick up some technique on how folks are setting up their benches and work areas, and the one thing I've noticed are lots of those Akro and Tupperware-type bins. Of course, you know that I had to get some at Lowe's yesterday while getting some keys made for my wife's new front door. She loves it, and if she's happy...well, I think you guys know the rest of that story.
I have been pouring through as many load cook books (Hornady, Lyman, Speer, Vitavhuori) as I can to make sure I don't create some bad stuff.

My mother has been in and out of the hospital lately, and it's been really hard on everyone here--I picked up my sister and niece from Chicago at the airport the other night because it's not looking too good for our mom. My other sister from La. will be coming over next week, that way, all of her kids could be there at her side.

Meanwhile, I've been able to get small things done on the reloading bench setup, even if it's a few days between tasks. You guys have made this a good place to hang out to keep me going, even in the face of some bad stuff here, and for that I thank you.

My next "major" practical will be to setup the priming system for SPP. I want to load up the .45 ACP first, then I'll setup the toolhead for 9mm, and the priming system for SPP. That way, I can just adjust the .45 dies for .45 GAP, which I will load up after getting some 9mm loads done.

polizei1
08-27-2011, 08:08
Well, if anyone wants to send me some 147gr FMJ bullets and some different powders I'll do some more testing, but I don't have the money to order that stuff so I can't do it on my own.

If anyone wants to buy me a 650 I'll post a review on it and forever be your friend! :rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
08-27-2011, 08:41
Speaking of .40 S&W...

I read about this Redding die (dual-ring carbide) which is supposed to properly size those cases. Didn't know if I could do this at Station 1 on the 550, or if I'd have to get a single-stage press to do that.

Looks like there is a decapping pin there, so perhaps for the .40 toolhead, I could just get this:

Dillon die set (good for .40/10mm)
Redding dual-ring sizing die (for .40 only...didn't look like 10mm was available)
Dillon Powder Funnel
Dillon Locator Pins

I already have the correct shell plate, which shipped with my 9mm set, which I still have to get setup, but not until I get some test loads done for .45 ACP.

I had to wait for the kinetic bullet hammer to arrive, as I created way too many dummy rounds, in an effort to get the correct OAL and crimp size down.

Here's what I've learned so far from some of the more recent readings:

OAL can be quickly brought in by placing a completed round at Stations 3 & 4 while setting up the dies. I'll do this for the 9mm set I still need to do.
Resizing the .357 SIG can be done with the .40 die.
Small pistol primers exist in some .45 ACP.
Reloading is a great way to curb gun-purchasing activities. However, it does present some costs of its own.
I will never look at small plastic bins the same way. I even went to get some label maker tape to fire up my old label maker. I've been trying to pick up some technique on how folks are setting up their benches and work areas, and the one thing I've noticed are lots of those Akro and Tupperware-type bins. Of course, you know that I had to get some at Lowe's yesterday while getting some keys made for my wife's new front door. She loves it, and if she's happy...well, I think you guys know the rest of that story.
I have been pouring through as many load cook books (Hornady, Lyman, Speer, Vitavhuori) as I can to make sure I don't create some bad stuff.

My mother has been in and out of the hospital lately, and it's been really hard on everyone here--I picked up my sister and niece from Chicago at the airport the other night because it's not looking too good for our mom. My other sister from La. will be coming over next week, that way, all of her kids could be there at her side.

Meanwhile, I've been able to get small things done on the reloading bench setup, even if it's a few days between tasks. You guys have made this a good place to hang out to keep me going, even in the face of some bad stuff here, and for that I thank you.

My next "major" practical will be to setup the priming system for SPP. I want to load up the .45 ACP first, then I'll setup the toolhead for 9mm, and the priming system for SPP. That way, I can just adjust the .45 dies for .45 GAP, which I will load up after getting some 9mm loads done.

Switching 9mm - 40 is easy on the 550. It's just a toolhead swap and the pins. All you need to buy is the Pins and the right Powder funnel for your toolhead.
For the record my Lee Dies size EVERYTHING to fit a tight barrel. I wouldn't worry about some fancy Redding Die for your Glock. Even a KKM barrel is not that hard to get running right with proper setup. I do think it's a little ironic that Redding needed a two ring setup to size a straight wall round properly. Lee has a tapered carbide ring in the 9mm die and it works perfectly making a nice tapered case. Don't know why Redding is make sizing a .40 so complicated. I think most this "fancy" stuff for .40 is bunk. But it makes manufactures money.
Sorry to hear about your mom. My dad went through that a little while back. In and out, near death every time. He is doing great now.

purrrfect 10
08-27-2011, 08:46
Weather we like it or not...
We are going to have weather here today :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Beanie-Bean
08-27-2011, 09:14
Yup, I've got the .40/10mm conversion kit up next in the queue, and would like to bring that one in, perhaps in the next few weeks. I'm planning on just building out a big 4X4 piece of lumber (now that I have a new saw...) to drilling out some holes to put metal rods to hold the toolheads. It'll be less expensive than the fancy trays @ $21/ea. I'm worried about the pins getting bent by just sitting on the bench.

I really wanted to go with .357 SIG first, since I have a lot of brass for that, and also because it's more expensive to buy factory ammo than .40 S&W. That is really why I wanted to get into the reloading arena--I'm silly and bought all these calibers, for which there are no low-cost ammo places here in Austin: .357 SIG, .45 GAP, .380 ACP. Of course, the 9X19, .40 S&W, .45 ACP rounds can be found just about anywhere, so I've got a bunch of brass for those.

I've been researching steel pin media, and didn't know if that was really worth the cost/trouble.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

For now, it'll be some corn and some polishing compound.

bush pilot
08-27-2011, 23:25
I picked up a Ruger 1911 yesterday and shot it today (Saturday) This gun is really nice and shoots like a million bucks. There were plenty of people wanting a look today at the range, luckily, they were paying more attention to the gun than my shooting.

jeffreybehr
08-28-2011, 00:08
114 today!! Actually felt pretty good after Tuesday (116). :rofl:

You must live in Phoenix.

meleors
08-28-2011, 02:37
I know, I know! Steve, get another LNL AP, that will spice things up. :whistling:

Fox
08-28-2011, 05:11
One of the things that killed this forum is that some of the old timers really get annoyed at the newbies that come here to ask questions.

Rather than simply avoid those threads, they had a post tacked up on the top of this forum with a list of canned answers for the usual newbie questions. If a newbie should not see it and dare to post a question, some of the more irate old timers here will post a nasty reply that said newbie should have seen the pinned thread at top so as not to bother them with newbie questions.

That is when this forum started to lose alot of volume here. Too many of the old timers had to chase away the newbies.

Colorado4Wheel
08-28-2011, 07:34
I know, I know! Steve, get another LNL AP, that will spice things up. :whistling:

Those were good times.

My 650 is boring. I did have to lube something on it yesterday.

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 07:40
Those were good times.

My 650 is boring. I did have to lube something on it yesterday.

The 650 is a snoozefest. Maybe we should fly Steve into Charlotte and I can show him how to use a Pro1000. Jack could shoot a docudrama. He could make two versions, a PBS style highbrow documentary with a highpowered voice like James Earl Jones doing the naration, and a reality show for the CMT types out there. It would be one shoot, but the editing could be used to make two products.

Season two would be him shooting liquid alox lubed, unsized bullets out of a stock barreled Glock using Unique and getting good results.

Colorado4Wheel
08-28-2011, 07:50
Season two would be him shooting liquid alox lubed, unsized bullets out of a stock barreled Glock using Unique and getting good results.

Unique must be some magical stuff because I tried just that setup with Power Pistol and it didn't work at all. Your bullets. I can't see how Unique would have worked any different then Power Pistol.

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 07:51
Unique must be some magical stuff because I tried just that setup with Power Pistol and it didn't work at all. Your bullets. I can't see how Unique would have worked any different then Power Pistol.

I had great results with PP too:wavey:

Colorado4Wheel
08-28-2011, 07:54
Exactly. It's barrel by barrel. Just like any other person shooting lead. No quarantine it will work.

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 08:15
Exactly. It's barrel by barrel. Just like any other person shooting lead. No quarantine it will work.

Try a Pro1000. That's how I do it.

meleors
08-28-2011, 10:26
Try a Pro1000. That's how I do it.

Cool, let's start another Lee vs Hornady vs RCBS vs Dillon thread. The last 50 or so weren't quite enough! :supergrin:

Glock XIX
08-28-2011, 15:26
Let's not forget the infamous thread on Okie's WTF powder. :faint:

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 15:42

That was epic.

meleors
08-28-2011, 16:27

Truly a classic! :rofl:

PCJim
08-28-2011, 20:25
Okie hasn't been around here in a while. Kinda leads one to wonder if that WTF specialty powder finally caught up with him?

michael e
08-28-2011, 20:36
Anyone want to post the cheapest place to find small pistol primes/ large pistol primers. Im out and too lazy to look online for the best deal. I got enuff loaded up to get me threw the next 3 months befor the stash gets to way to low for comfort levels.

meleors
08-29-2011, 06:41
Anyone want to post the cheapest place to find small pistol primes/ large pistol primers. Im out and too lazy to look online for the best deal. I got enuff loaded up to get me threw the next 3 months befor the stash gets to way to low for comfort levels.

Sure. I'll make it even easier for ya. Send me your components and I'll load them for ya too!
Best to send your guns also and I'll shoot them for you. Hate to see you have to make an effort.
You wouldn't happen to be a welfare liberal, would you?

DoctaGlockta
08-29-2011, 07:30

I'd try the 5 Finger discount bin at your local Gun/Reloading shop. They have great prices.