Vest Question? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vest Question?

maddog3241
08-26-2011, 21:36
Sorry for such a dumb question, but I warned you in my first post that I probably would have some really dumb ones.

Anyway, here goes. I am basically a volunteer deputy sheriff here is Michigan. Sworn in by the county sheriff, we have to supply everything including vests. They had an old hand me down that just felt small on me. I found one that was bigger on Ebay for fairly cheap, it is only a level 2 but I was able to take the kevlar out of the one from the dept. and put it in with the kevlar from the one I bought on Ebay. Is this going to work? The one they gave me was a level 2A. Thanks for an comments/jokes or general abuse. :wavey:

collim1
08-26-2011, 21:43
Go to a cop shop and get sized for it. Spend the money and get a vest that fits, if not you will be miserable. Worse than that if it does not fit properly it will not offer the best protection.

maddog3241
08-26-2011, 21:52
Go to a cop shop and get sized for it. Spend the money and get a vest that fits, if not you will be miserable. Worse than that if it does not fit properly it will not offer the best protection.

I do plan on doing that, but after spending 1500 bucks so far for a new Glock 22, and uniforms, boots, cuffs, OC all that stuff I don't have the cash at the moment to do that.

I am going to though in the next month or 2. This one does cover both my sides and front and back fairly good, in fact tomorrow I am going to have a buddy of mine who is a "real" deputy take a look at it. Tomorrow night is my first detail, and it is a beer tent at a festival. Should be interesting about 1:30 am. haha

ETA: Thank you!!!

collim1
08-26-2011, 22:02
I definitely would not put four panels in the same carrier, it would be unbearable to wear that.

maddog3241
08-26-2011, 22:12
Ok. Yeah, it was REALLY heavy when I put it on, and it is supposed to me pretty warm tomorrow.

SAR
08-27-2011, 00:37
I would be careful with used vests from unknown sources such as ebay. Kevlar breaks down over time. You may not be able to tell, but it may not even have anti-ballistic qualities. Does the vest you found on ebay have a date stamp? I wouldn't wear a vest I found on ebay, especially if it was more than five years old.

ray9898
08-27-2011, 10:32
I would not do the 4 panels, it would be miserable.

Level II is not bad and you will probably find it is the most common vest worn in LE.

Napalm561
08-27-2011, 11:01
Try vestforlife.com If you know your measurements, they'll send you a good vest for free. I've donated several vests to them, and when they send a vest out, it is fast! They even pay the shipping. It's an option until you can afford to purchase your own.

maddog3241
08-27-2011, 13:10
Try vestforlife.com If you know your measurements, they'll send you a good vest for free. I've donated several vests to them, and when they send a vest out, it is fast! They even pay the shipping. It's an option until you can afford to purchase your own.
WOW, I will check it out. THANK YOU...

steveksux
08-27-2011, 14:43
Which vest company gives like 50% discounts to reserves? Its not second chance, it s one of the big ones... can't think of the name though..

Google is my friend. Point Blank.. http://www.masscops.com/f68/point-blank-body-armor-reserve-auxiliary-discount-program-48412/

Randy

maddog3241
08-28-2011, 01:37
Which vest company gives like 50% discounts to reserves? Its not second chance, it s one of the big ones... can't think of the name though..

Google is my friend. Point Blank.. http://www.masscops.com/f68/point-blank-body-armor-reserve-auxiliary-discount-program-48412/

Randy

Thanks for the link, I will check into it. BTW I took the extra panels out, and just went with the level 2. I found a date on them, they are 5 and a half years old. Thanks to everyone for the comments, and suggestions. I really appreciate it all.

GackMan
08-28-2011, 02:05
I think the thick, heavy, hot, evil LIIIA point black vest from galls is under $350.

not super light and flexible but not a bad price to have a known history, new vest, on a budget.

COLOSHOOTR
08-28-2011, 02:45
I also have to say that I would not wear an Ebay vest that I didn't know the history of! Most vests only have a 5 year warranty because the material starts to degrade over time. You also can get a vest made of one of the recalled materials like zylon. So you're pretty much taking your chances with a unknown vest hoping that it will even work. If you can't afford anything at least ask a friend, co-worker or officer from another agency if you can have or borrow an old one. At least then you'll have an idea if it was even taken care of!

pal2511
08-28-2011, 05:32
Try bulletproofme.com. they arevsupposed to have good customer service. Our reserves got vests through the highway patrol. They were surplus and used vests. That would be something to look at