Call me crazy but.................. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy but..................

Hogpauls
08-26-2011, 22:52
..............I really enjoy my Rock Chucker single stage press and don't envision myself getting a turret or a progressive.

I guess a little background info might be helpful to see where this is going. I'm a kept man, I almost worked myself into the grave until my beautiful wife took over that responsibility. So when the kids are at school, the wife is at work and things around the house are done I shoot or reload. Yeah, I know some are saying, "what a sweet gig". No not really, I'd give my left nut to be back at work. As men we aren't well suited for domestic duties. I digress.

I like to have things to do especially if it involves guns and reloading. The single stage press keeps me busy doing what I enjoy. I like the process of each step taken to complete a loaded round. Every now and then I look into purchasing a more efficient machine and ultimately decide the money is better spent on more components. Also why would I want to reduce the amount of time that I find satisfying? Of course if my time was drastically limited as when I did work a Dillon progressive or such with a metric ton of gizmos would be adorning my workbench instead of the trusty Rock Chucker.

Anybody with me?

Zombie Steve
08-27-2011, 01:16
I hear ya.

I load so many different calibers that I'd spend half my time converting progressives, or I'd have to have half a dozen of them. Not even Jack is that stupid. Well, close.

All hail hermit time in the garage!!!!

g29guy
08-27-2011, 02:21
I'm with you on the enjoyment of the hobby. If i did get a progressive or turret it would be for mass plinking loads and I'd still make hand loads and spend a fair amount of my time developing loads.

Colorado4Wheel
08-27-2011, 07:46
I know a guy who makes 30K a year on a SS. He has been married for years. I think the press deserves all the credit.

DWARREN123
08-27-2011, 07:48
I like my Lee single stage. Let's me check each step and make good ammo.

fredj338
08-27-2011, 08:43
I started w/ a ss press 36yrs ago & still use it today quite a bit. I load all my precision rifle on it as well as occasional handgun stuff. I am not breaking down my 550B or 650 to load 20 test rounds of 44mag or heavy 45colt. The progressive are great though for popping out 200rds the night before a match though. In much less than 20min, I am ready for a days shooting.

El_Ron1
08-27-2011, 09:26
http://i56.tinypic.com/24mreiv.jpg

Great presses, had mine since 1981. Gets mounted for some chores at least once every two to three years or so. I need to come up with a die that will crush SPP .45 ACP brass into harmless buttons and sell them on etsy.

norton
08-27-2011, 10:11
My rock chucker is mounted next to my Dillon 550. When I load on the dillon I feel like I'm on the assembly line. The R/C feels like crafting ammo. I load my low volume rounds-.44 mag, .40 S/W, .17 Remington on the Chucker.
Sounds like you have a sweet gig.
Load on.

PCJim
08-27-2011, 12:06
I can't call you crazy. If I had plenty of spare time and limited funds, I too would (probably) be loading on my RCBS Reloader Special 2, purchased back in '83. It loaded many a round for me before I bought the 550b which is my mainstay now. Like Fred, I still use the RS2 for working up pistol and rifle loads where I want to trickle charge the powder for as consistent as possible testing of rounds. It also sees the first of the case prep work for .223, where I'll use the resizing die and run all the lubed cases thru (they get finished off on the 550b after the remaining prep is completed).

No, I can't find any fault with anyone wanting to load on a SS press. I still think that it is the best way to truly learn the process without encumbering oneself with the distractions of other stages on a turret or progressive press. But, that could also be because that is how I learned to reload. Batch work, each step completed on the batch before the next step is performed.

Nothing like seeing three reload trays full of powder charged cases, all with even height charges.

DoctaGlockta
08-27-2011, 12:36
Great presses, had mine since 1981. Gets mounted for some chores at least once every two to three years or so. I need to come up with a die that will crush SPP .45 ACP brass into harmless buttons and sell them on etsy.

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/109171/Oh,%20the%20humanity-500x301.jpg

rewster
08-27-2011, 14:32
Ok ! You're crazy !!! :wow:

BUT, I use a Lee single stage and I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Ceapea
08-27-2011, 15:12
I too have an old RCBS RS2, SS press and love it!!
I got it from my brother last year at this time. So far, I have 14,ooo loaded and another 4k prepped to the point of just needing powder and bullet seating. That's a lot of handle pulling, but I can keep up with my 200-500 rounds/week need on that press and I still haven't found the need to step up to a progressive.

So, I'm with you too.

Have fun, be safe.

AA#5
08-27-2011, 15:17
I'm crazy too. I've been using my Rockchucker for 30 years & never considered a progressive. I also prime with a hand primer away from the press. I keep several boxes of primed, belled & inspected brass in my favorite calibers & that makes me about 1 hour away from each 100 rounds loaded.

I've never had any problems or unpleasant surprises at the range, either.

unclebob
08-27-2011, 17:35
Like Fred, I still use the RS2 for working up pistol and rifle loads where I want to trickle charge the powder for as consistent as possible testing of rounds.

Why not just remove the button from station 3 pull the case out add the powder and put it back in station 3 add the bullet and seat the bullet. All stations are full and you are using the same dies as when you start loading with the progressive. You just use the powder measure to bell the case.

ron59
08-27-2011, 20:15
I started reloading just over 2 years ago. Yes, it was a blast. Now it's a chore. I shoot ~1500 rounds per month. That's a lot. I can't even imagine producing that many on a single stage. I don't even like doing that on my 550B.

PCJim
08-27-2011, 21:39
Why not just remove the button from station 3 pull the case out add the powder and put it back in station 3 add the bullet and seat the bullet. All stations are full and you are using the same dies as when you start loading with the progressive. You just use the powder measure to bell the case.

Bob, that would certainly work, but I'd have to dedicate another toolhead for cartridges that, up to this point, have had limited reloading. I hadn't reloaded 44mag for two years or more, as the last batch was more than ample for the limited shooting I've done since with the Blackhawk. I recently picked up a Contender in 44mag and have developed those rounds on the SS. When I figure out how much use the cartridge will see, I may set up the dies on a spare toolhead.

Then again, I do like the nostalgic feeling I get when I set down with that press.

EL_NinO619
08-27-2011, 21:52
I love my LEE SS as much as my LnL

Colorado4Wheel
08-27-2011, 21:55
You guys are all SICK.

meleors
08-28-2011, 02:06
Well, you asked for it. You're crazy! But yeah, the simplicity of a SS loading session can be a calm, relaxing, and stress reducing pleasure. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race.

PhantomF4E
08-28-2011, 08:32
I'm in on the Rockchucker club. All I have used in over 30 years. Now I do have two set up on the bench though.

Zombie Steve
08-28-2011, 08:50
You guys are all SICK.

I'm still open to getting a 650 for Christmas just for .45 auto. :whistling:

I will admit that gets tedious.

tjpet
08-28-2011, 09:48
If you shoot a few hundred rounds a year for hunting or range work a SS is all that's needed. If competition or large scale varmint hunting enters the picture then a progressive is almost a necessity.

I've never bought into reloading as a hobby in and of itself. It's boring drudge work that has to be done to be able to keep shooting as much as I need. The guys that use it as an excuse to snag free time away from the old lady have bigger issues then whether to get a progressive or not.

Zombie Steve
08-28-2011, 10:03
If you shoot a few hundred rounds a week for hunting or range work a SS is all that's needed. If competition or large scale varmint hunting enters the picture then a progressive is almost a necessity.

Fixed it for you.

I've never bought into reloading as a hobby in and of itself. It's boring drudge work that has to be done to be able to keep shooting as much as I need. The guys that use it as an excuse to snag free time away from the old lady have bigger issues then whether to get a progressive or not.

Some guys build cars. Some collect stamps. I like to cast and reload.

meleors
08-28-2011, 10:13
To some, cooking is boring drudge work. I enjoy cooking. I consider it a hobby as I create new delicious meals. I enjoy reloading as I create ammo that is better than I can buy as it is tailored for my gun. I also enjoy turning pens on the lathe. Sure, I can buy pens, but the pleasure of turning my own is worth it.
To me all the above beats sitting in front of the boob tube for hours on end as much of America does.
To each his own.

PhantomF4E
08-28-2011, 11:14
One man's hobby is another man's drudgery. Viva la drudgery. My wife and I currently have plans for a combination sewing/reloading room if my son ever gets his PHd and gets out of my RELOADING room, errr,,,ahhhhh yeah sewing room tooo dear..... LOL. You can make it time together, heck she might teach me something. Maybe I can get some realtree camo and make my own seatcovers for the tree stand. LOL while she loads her own .38's she fires out of her 642. I still dig the absolute precision I can get out of a single stage. I have total, abeit slow control over every step in the process.

jfrey
08-28-2011, 18:54
While I admit to using a progressive to keep my pistols well fed, the reloading experience is relaxing to me. I can be up tight about something that happened at work and sit down and run off two or three hundred rounds and feel a lot better. I can shoot those two or three hundred and feel even better than that. There's just something satifying about making your own ammo.

Historian
08-28-2011, 18:58

And that is why I don't get a progressive.

PCJim
08-28-2011, 20:44
Had my nephew and his fiance over for the weekend. This morning, on the RS2 ss he reloaded his first 30-06 rounds. Cases were prepped in advance, so I didn't bore him with trimming, chamfering and deburring. But, he did prime, weigh, charge and seat on his own under my guidance. His fiance watched the entire process and even made her very first round.

Just another example of the benefits of having a ss press available for quick, small quantity reloads.

unclebob
08-29-2011, 07:14

What checks are you making that you can not do on a progressive?

Zombie Steve
08-29-2011, 08:02
Sanity.

unclebob
08-29-2011, 08:05
Sanity.

I think a lot of us are past that stage.

freakshow10mm
08-29-2011, 08:06
I use my RC for bullet pulling and swaging jacketed bullets. If I actually had to load ammo on my RC and not my progressive, I'd give up handloading and just buy factory.

unclebob
08-29-2011, 10:09
The only thing I use the RC for is deprime primers that did not seat right. Small runs, load development, etc. is all done on the 650.When I first stated loading on a single stage it was fun loved pulling the handle. After about 200,000 rounds and over triple of what I was shooting the single stage got old fast.

Duck of Death
09-03-2011, 13:45
Anyone who reloads on a RC doesn't shoot much. When I was getting into IDPA/USPSA I went to the basement and reloaded 300 40SW.

When I finished I came upstairs and ordered a LNL progressive.. There's a Lyman turret on one side and a old Herter's C press on the other side. But when there's 500 to 600 rounds to reload the LNL get the nod.

ron59
09-03-2011, 15:08

Ridiculous.

I've loaded 40,000+ 9mm rounds on my Dillon progressive in just over 2 years. Not one squib, not one overcharged. And it didn't take me a bazillion years to get it done as it would have on a SS.

You don't shoot much pistol if you do it on a SS. Or you have a LOT of spare time on your hands one. Heck, I have a 550B and it's still too slow for me, going to a 650 next.

Zombie Steve
09-03-2011, 15:19
Anyone who reloads on a RC doesn't shoot much.

You don't shoot much pistol if you do it on a SS.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

GioaJack
09-03-2011, 15:42
I guess there were more hours in a day way back when than there are now. When I was in the service I loaded 800 to a 1000 rounds each and every week for 4 years on a RC and 2 other SS presses. (Had 'em set up so I could do batch loading.)

Granted, I was a dog handler and only worked nights and it gets way to hot to sleep in Miami during the day in a single wide mobile home without A/C so what the hell else was there to do.

After I got on the department and tripled my salary I bought two Star progressives but if you want to do it a 1000 on a SS is certainly not impossible.

(Remember, there was no internet, no cell phones, only 3 TV stations and just like now... I didn't have any friends. :crying:) Unlimited supply of military brass and range lead certainly helped the cause.

Jack

El_Ron1
09-03-2011, 16:42
Sanity.

http://i56.tinypic.com/24mreiv.jpg

An' tranquility, Dawg. Don't it make you feel all relaxed just lookin' at it layin' there? Gonna be just like that tonight, an' tomorrow, an tomorrow night...

SERENITY NOW! :steamed:

ron59
09-05-2011, 10:49
I guess there were more hours in a day way back when than there are now. When I was in the service I loaded 800 to a 1000 rounds each and every week for 4 years on a RC and 2 other SS presses. (Had 'em set up so I could do batch loading.)

Granted, I was a dog handler and only worked nights and it gets way to hot to sleep in Miami during the day in a single wide mobile home without A/C so what the hell else was there to do.

After I got on the department and tripled my salary I bought two Star progressives but if you want to do it a 1000 on a SS is certainly not impossible.

(Remember, there was no internet, no cell phones, only 3 TV stations and just like now... I didn't have any friends. :crying:) Unlimited supply of military brass and range lead certainly helped the cause.

Jack

I think I made the comment about how long it takes... that was more a secondary statement to my *primary* comment that Historian made that "a progressive doesn't let you make good ammo" (my paraphrasing of the statement he quoted along with his statement). In my opinion, that is a preposterous and ridiculous stance.

CAN you make 1000 rounds a week on an SS? Sure you can. Jack... are you still doing that? No, you realized your time is more valuable to you so you've migrated to something that makes ammo faster. Those 2 1050s tell me that.

Zombie Steve? You quoted my statement as well. You loading your pistol ammo on a SS? Not.

If you're single, and got plenty of time, sure you can. I'm married, I drive 2 hours commute each day (one hour each way), and would like some "me" time, to watch TV or surf the net. Need to relax sometime. So when I want ammo, I want to make it as fast as I can, safely.

Colorado4Wheel
09-05-2011, 10:56
Zombie Steve? You quoted my statement as well. You loading your pistol ammo on a SS? Not.

Yes, he only owns a RC. Plus, he now makes his own bullets as well. He dreams of a 550/650 that he gets to use but doesn't have to pay for.

GioaJack
09-05-2011, 11:09
Ron:

There is no question that loading a thousand rounds a week on a SS stage takes a long time and if finances allow for the purchase of a progressive that it certainly the way to go... obviously.

One can not discount, however, that loading is considerably easier now than it was 40 or 50 years ago. Back then the only progressive was a Star and it was nothing more than a dream on a $121 a month Air Force salary.

You are absolutely correct in all of your assertions, I was merely pointing out that there was a time when you needed a thousand rounds a week you found a way to get it done on a SS. Pretty much falls in line with the concept that in the absence of alternatives the mind becomes very clear... you simply get it done.

Of course you might end up with a lot of ammo and a lot of ex-wives. :supergrin:

Jack

ron59
09-05-2011, 12:00
Ron:

There is no question that loading a thousand rounds a week on a SS stage takes a long time and if finances allow for the purchase of a progressive that it certainly the way to go... obviously.

One can not discount, however, that loading is considerably easier now than it was 40 or 50 years ago. Back then the only progressive was a Star and it was nothing more than a dream on a $121 a month Air Force salary.

You are absolutely correct in all of your assertions, I was merely pointing out that there was a time when you needed a thousand rounds a week you found a way to get it done on a SS. Pretty much falls in line with the concept that in the absence of alternatives the mind becomes very clear... you simply get it done.

Of course you might end up with a lot of ammo and a lot of ex-wives. :supergrin:

Jack

Jack,
Certainly nice to have choices these days. Gonna add a 650 to my stable, and probably eventually my own SS. Probably a Coax like you have, wanna get into rifle eventually.

BTW, I did order your book. I haven't read it yet, but I'm going camping the last week of September... gonna have plenty of down time and plan to read it then. Looking forward to it.

GioaJack
09-06-2011, 08:31
Jack,
Certainly nice to have choices these days. Gonna add a 650 to my stable, and probably eventually my own SS. Probably a Coax like you have, wanna get into rifle eventually.

BTW, I did order your book. I haven't read it yet, but I'm going camping the last week of September... gonna have plenty of down time and plan to read it then. Looking forward to it.

Guess I'll have to make more room on the bench... with the $1.87 royalty check I'll be well on my way to another 1050.

BTW, thank you, I hope you don't find it to be a total waste of money. (Buy 30 of 'em, soak 'em in water and use 'em for penetration tests.)

Jack

sigman69
09-06-2011, 11:08
I agree with Duck of Death and Ron59, you can do it on a SS and that is ok but for ME well I use a turret press and it is getting long in the tooth spending all the time reloading....I can see a progressive taking care of the time issue.

Jack, you sure make some funny youtube videos...and have TIME too since you have a most excellent of reloading presses that gives you more free time FROM reloading.

Zombie Steve
09-06-2011, 11:45
I'm wondering if some people load what they're going to shoot for the week and then stop.

I suppose I'm a little more spread out. I could shoot a few thousand .45's this week, then next week shoot nothing but .357 mag. The following week .308, after that, .45 Colt. and on and on and on... It doesn't take long to stockpile quite a bit of ammo with a single stage press. Do I shoot a few thousand when I go out? No. I'll most likely shoot 200-300 pistol rounds or 50 .30 caliber, a few hundred .223's.

I'll never be in a position where Jack or Stevie calls me to go shoot and I can't do it because I don't have the ammo.

...and Stevie - my dreams are coming true. Ray is in A-stan again, and he's ordering a 650 and sending it to my house to hide from his wife. :whistling:

ron59
09-06-2011, 15:34
I'm wondering if some people load what they're going to shoot for the week and then stop.

That sounds like me, primarily because I just don't *enjoy* it that much. Call me lazy, but I really hate inefficiency. I really think that with at least a 650 and casefeeder, (and maybe even a BULLET FEEDER?)... the improved efficiency will make it way more enjoyable. Let me pull the handle, focus on the powder drop.... and away we go.

So for now... I make 400-500, and then I'm done until next week. I haven't been "ahead" ammo wise since last winter. Then, because I wasn't doing that much shooting/yardwork on the weekends, I'd sit down and crank out some both Saturday and Sunday. This winter I hope to have my new press. :devildance:

Colorado4Wheel
09-06-2011, 15:54
So for now... I make 400-500, and then I'm done until next week. I haven't been "ahead" ammo wise since last winter. Then, because I wasn't doing that much shooting/yardwork on the weekends, I'd sit down and crank out some both Saturday and Sunday. This winter I hope to have my new press. :devildance:

Let me guess, your getting a LnL with a Bullet Feeder and a Casefeeder when you get your tax return.:rofl:

Zombie Steve
09-06-2011, 15:56
To each his own. Some people collect stamps.

Colorado4Wheel
09-06-2011, 16:02
You don't get the joke do you?

Tpro
09-07-2011, 12:20
You don't get the joke do you?

He missed it:rofl:

Hogpauls
09-07-2011, 16:54
I suppose I'm a little more spread out. I could shoot a few thousand .45's this week, then next week shoot nothing but .357 mag. The following week .308, after that, .45 Colt. and on and on and on... It doesn't take long to stockpile quite a bit of ammo with a single stage press. Do I shoot a few thousand when I go out? No. I'll most likely shoot 200-300 pistol rounds or 50 .30 caliber, a few hundred .223's.

^This is how I stay ahead on ammo working with the RC. I'll crank out about 500 rounds a week and whatever caliber I'm working on in a particular week, I don't shoot. I usually only shoot a couple hundred rounds each of .40, 10mm, .45 and .223 during an outing. The extra rounds I haven't shot adds up pretty quick and faster than not I have a nice reserve. Alot of work? You bet!, but I still find the tedium enjoyable and it keeps me away from trouble and questionable websites. :whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
09-07-2011, 17:00
Even a LCT is boring for that many rounds. I honestly don't know how you guys do it. I guess if you have never done it the other way you don't know what your missing as much. Zombie has loaded on my 550 and Jacks stuff. It must be killing him.

g29guy
09-08-2011, 02:02
I too enjoy the time spent reloading on a single stage press.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine