Wool Blanket Alternatives [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wool Blanket Alternatives

Lone Kimono
08-26-2011, 23:30
I need to stock up on some camping blankets, but am not a fan of wool. Could anyone suggest alternatives?

HAMMERHEAD
08-27-2011, 07:03
I've been looking for a quality polar fleece blanket. I am a fan of wool, but a good wool blanket goes for $200 or more.

Big Bird
08-27-2011, 11:37
Why not sleeping bags?

lampasaslwc
08-27-2011, 11:51
How about the military poncho liners? They work well. Larry

Lone Kimono
08-27-2011, 15:54
Why not sleeping bags?

Redundancy, I like to have both if I can.

kirgi08
08-27-2011, 15:58
I got old mil-surp blankets.'08.

bdcochran
08-27-2011, 19:48
Insulated Poncho Insulated Poncho New!
Insulation is 6 ounce Lamilite / Climashield

Color options; digital camo, marpat camo, coyote brown, foliage green.

Snaps down each side to close it and loops so it can be used as a shelter. Created for the military for use by soldiers situated in forward observer posts. Water resistant, machine washable and dryable.
Standard poncho liner size so it can be worn under and waterproof poncho

Look up Wiggy's sleeping bags. The guy makes great stuff. Poncho liner would be good in lieu of a blanket.

Alternatives - German WWII sniper sleeping bag. Or a WWII German reproduction paratrooper jump suit. You can sleep in them as well.

I am allergic to wool. I use down comforters.

AK_Stick
08-27-2011, 20:32
the woobie (poncho liner) is hard to beat.

Lone Kimono
08-28-2011, 00:37
the woobie (poncho liner) is hard to beat.
I just bought one from Sportsman's Guide.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=123876

Hopefully, it's the same as what you were suggesting.

TKM
08-28-2011, 01:02
The woobie is so much better it boggles the mind.

I like the Doobie.

Please, put down your High Times, that's not what I meant.:whistling:

http://www.kifaru.net/woobie.html

TangoFoxtrot
08-28-2011, 04:16
Why not sleeping bags?

Yeah, like the Bird said!

Commander_Zero
08-28-2011, 07:14
Had the Kifaru Woobie for a couple years and its pretty sweet, its convinced me to get one of their sleeping bags. The Wiggy's insulated poncho (http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=252&CFID=4618652&CFTOKEN=93679314) is also pretty good, although a tad bulkier...its great strength is that you can wear it instead of just wrapping it around yourself.

R_W
08-28-2011, 09:06
Very few people are actually allergic to wool, but many are allergic to the chemicals used to process it. I suggest to anyone that thinks they are allergic to wool to try a raw or naturally processed wool. Not that I think you NEED to buy wool, but that you need to know the real problem.

Wool is still the best campfire blanket (not fun to backpack it though). Fireproof has advantages.
Fleece is cheap enough to stock up on and give away
Microdown comforters are cheap (especially on clearance) and work great for car kits.
cheap poncho liners are tougher than fleece or microdown, but not baby blanket comfy
Wiggy's and Kif Woobies are AWESOME, but you are paying for it up front...

Lone Kimono
08-28-2011, 09:37
The Kif Woobie and the Wigg's look awesome and I know you get what you pay for. I'm sure they compress down very well and are light to carry. That being said Bird may be right. What about buying a cheap sleeping bag (cabelas has some from last year on sale for $30-50) and just unzipping? When I heard sleeping bag I was thinking about it zipped not open like a blanket. I usually don't hike that far in when I car camp so the extra bulk and weight wouldn't be a problem. Would the extra money still be worth it for the Wiggies and Kif?

off road
08-28-2011, 10:40
Fleece! One of the greatest inventions of the modern era.