Stressfire Shotgun Recommendations? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stressfire Shotgun Recommendations?

Brad737
08-27-2011, 09:17
Hello Mas,

I hope you're doing well. I recently added another of your books to my library, Stressfire II Advanced Combat Shotgun. I've really enjoyed it, and learned a lot. But since the book was published in 1992 (mine is the 5th printing, 2002), I'm just wondering if you've changed your mind regarding the different shotguns that have come to market since publishing?

I think your choices for pumps are timeless classics, the 870 in 12, and Mossberg 500 in 20. As for 12 gauges, are the Benellis still your preferred 12 gauge autos? There have been some new models since the Super 90. As for Remington, do you still advise caution with the 1100, or are the newer models better (Tac 4, etc...)? Are the 11-87s still looking like the best Remington 12 gauge auto? (Versa Max?) As for 20 gauge auto, is the Remington still the preferred model? The LT20 is kind of difficult to find. From Bud's Gun Shop, it looks like the only 20 gauge Remington auto available is the 11-87? Are any of the 20 gauge Remington autos good to go?

For the record, my current home defense shotgun is a 12 gauge Remington 870, 18.5" barrel, +2 Wilson mag extension, jumbo head safety, XS tritium sight, and factory Speedfeed assault stock. I'm absolutely going to have it Proported by Magnaport as well, but I'd like to get another shotgun before sending it off. I have plenty of other guns in the house , but after getting acquainted with the 870, a shotgun certainly adds a lot of peace of mind.

I'm leaning heavily towards a 20 gauge auto, but just wanted to see if any new models have earned your endorsement.

Many thanks,
Brad

Mas Ayoob
08-27-2011, 22:24
Benelli's still tough to beat, but the Remington does kick softer. I'm kinda belt and suspenders about stuff, but I prefer to clean a Remington auto every 50 rounds and a Benelli, every 100.

Remington now makes a youth stock version of the 11-87 that's a bit heavier than the old LT-20, but still has great handling characteristics. Benelli came out with a 20 gauge that I thought had great potential, but I never saw enough of them in action to get a feel for how they'd stand up and work.

These days, my default gun in a 20 gauge auto is the Remington 11-87.

best,
Mas

Mas Ayoob
08-27-2011, 22:28
Whoops, sorry Brad, it's been a long day and I just realized I didn't fully answer your question. In a 12 gauge today, I'd be inclined toward the Remington 11-87 also. They're available in a wide variety from the factory.

best,
Mas

Brad737
08-27-2011, 22:38
Mas,
Many thanks. The Benellis sure look nice. But in these trying economic times, I'm glad to hear that an American company is still churning out good products. Unless I find a deal I can't refuse (or find an LT-20) I'm going to add a 20 gauge 11-87 to the collection.
Thanks,
Brad