school me on tablets....... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : school me on tablets.......

n2extrm
08-27-2011, 15:36
I need some help with tablets. I am looking for something to carry when I am on business trips. I want to surf the web e-mail Skype or video chat to keep intouch with the wife and kids. I don't want to carry a second laptop or use my work laptop so a tablet seems the way to go. I have a Droid phone so o was leaning that way. But honestly may go back to black berry for a phone. It's just better for work. A keyboard option would be nice as well as a usb port or some storage expansion back up option. I am not sure I need it but it sounds good. Being able to sync to my pc would be nice too. I only need WiFi most hotels have it for free anyway . Any thoughts on security would be good too.

Thanks guys. I know its a long list. I just don't know much about them.

jtull7
08-27-2011, 17:29
I always carry a tablet. And a Number Two pencil. They are great.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/jtull8/498243223_eaa69b8184.jpg

Ogreon
08-27-2011, 22:58
Unless a good deal came up, I would probably default to an iPad. I don't like the limitations (no usb port) but the general ubiquity has a number of advantages. I wouldn't worry about a keyboard for a tablet, if a keyboard is necessary I'd go with a laptop.

If cost is a significant factor check out the thread in General Non-Glocking about rooting the Nook Color or a look at a netbook.

n2extrm
08-28-2011, 09:29
Unless a good deal came up, I would probably default to an iPad. I don't like the limitations (no usb port) but the general ubiquity has a number of advantages. I wouldn't worry about a keyboard for a tablet, if a keyboard is necessary I'd go with a laptop.

If cost is a significant factor check out the thread in General Non-Glocking about rooting the Nook Color or a look at a netbook.

Thank you. I was looking at the iPad 2 just wasn't sure about how it would fit me running Windows and a Droid phone. Apples drug is supposed to be secure and flexible. Yeah I wonder if a key board and a usb are really needed. I just hate doing this from a phone so I thought maybe. :dunno: Droid is great and all bit I am not doing back flips about it. Maybe Apple would be better. Does Apple have a kindle reader for the iPad? I looked there site didn't see it.

Linux3
08-28-2011, 12:48
I have friends with Samsung Galaxy 10.1, Asus Transformer, Acer Iconia 10.1 and iPad.

I have been looking into buying one and it's nice that I can compare.

1) Apple iPad. I do not like the closed nature of this tablet. I want to load Images and movies from USB and or SD. But it is pretty.
2) Samsung Galaxy 10.1. The thinest and lightest of the Android tablets. Works real, real well and has a great display. Apple is suing Samsung over it. Silly as Samsung makes like 60% of the guts of the iPad. Best selling of the Android tablets and rightly so.
3) Asus Transformer. Very nice. I would rank it second to the Samsung. It has ports and a quite nice display. Not up to Samsung standards but nice. You can get a keyboard / dock attachment. Build quality looks a little cheap.
4) Acer Iconia. Well built and runs OK. Has ports. I just don't like most Acer products and this tablet is not selling real well.

Now for my main pick at this time.
Toshiba Thrive! Corning Gorilla glass, killer display. Ports and lots of ports. Nice speakers, second only to the Samsung. But, it's a little heavy. To get all the ports requires a slightly bigger chassis.

I didn't put the Toshiba on the first list because I have only plaid with one in Best Buy. But, I have a friend who just bought one and will know more soon. I am willing to add a very small amount of weight to get flexibility.

Drjones
08-28-2011, 13:10
What's a "tablet"? :dunno:

I've only ever heard of the iPad.....oh, now that you mention it, there are a bunch of lame wannabees that I occasionally see advertised, or in the stores....that what you're talking about? :supergrin:

Seriously though, Apple hit it out of the park with the iPad....just like with the iPhone, they created a whole new type of device and everyone else is just playing copycat and catchup.

The biggest problem you'll run into with an android iPad clone (apart from what is, IMO, a crappy OS to begin with) is the glaring lack of apps. The Apple iOS app store has hundreds of thousands of applications (aren't they into the millions yet?) and all the clones only have barely a fraction of that.

As for your other requirements, you can connect any bluetooth keyboard to the iPad, Skype just released a native iPad app, and there's built-in facetime, and you use iTunes to sync to your PC. But what exactly are you looking to sync, is the question?

As for expandable storage, that's a little trickier; you can't expand the built-in storage on an iPad, nor are there USB/SD card slots, but there are a few manufacturers who are making hard drives that will wirelessly connect to an iPad, here's one: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/16/goflex-satellite-is-your-ipads-portable-wireless-hard-drive/

I had the first iPad, gave it to my lady when I bought the iPad 2 earlier this year. We both love them.

For what you're talking about; email/internet/skype/basic office productivity, iPad will be great.

Drjones
08-28-2011, 13:23
Thank you. I was looking at the iPad 2 just wasn't sure about how it would fit me running Windows and a Droid phone. Apples drug is supposed to be secure and flexible. Yeah I wonder if a key board and a usb are really needed. I just hate doing this from a phone so I thought maybe. :dunno: Droid is great and all bit I am not doing back flips about it. Maybe Apple would be better. Does Apple have a kindle reader for the iPad? I looked there site didn't see it.

I'm all Windows and my iPad works perfectly. I sync movies & browser bookmarks to my iPad using iTunes, but everything else, I go with services & apps that sync over the internet or to a website, so that it doesn't matter what device I'm using.

Yes, there is a Kindle app for the iPad and the built-in iBooks is pretty sweet too....you can even load PDFs into iBooks. You can't mark them up - highlight, take notes, etc. on PDFs like you can with regular books, but there are plenty of apps that let you annotate PDFs if that's what you need to do.

There's one app I use that whenever someone emails me a PDF that needs my signature or other info, I can sign the PDF & enter any other necessary text, flatten it and email it right back. Really slick.

What's even cooler is that when you get an iPhone (hint, hint :supergrin: ) iBooks keeps completely synced between the two devices; you can start reading & taking notes on your iPad, then when you open up that book or PDF on your iPhone, all the notes are there & it resumes at the same spot you left off.

But best of all, check out www.SugarSync.com - you can view & share all of your PC files right on your iPad or iPhone. It's the greatest thing ever! Now you can even sync files to your mobile device if you know you will need offline access, such as on a plane, or if you have a wifi-only iPad.

And I never use a keyboard with my iPad. If I have to do a lot of typing, I use my desktop or laptop. For brief stuff, the on-screen keyboard is fine and I've grown surprisingly accurate & fast with it. You'll be fine.

Depending how much you travel, you might be better off getting the 3G iPad. The cheapest monthly data plans through Verizon or AT&T are around $30/month, yet most hotels charge at least $10-$15 per day for wireless. So, two hotel stays per month, and you'd be better off having it built-in. Plus you won't have to deal with what can sometimes be a hassle to connect to a hotel network, and it's really, really, really nice to be able to flip open your iPad and just be online no matter where you are - airport, hotel, backseat of a cab.

FURTHER, If you get the 3G device, you do NOT have to buy a data plan; you can purchase data at any time, and you can shut it off whenever also. It does NOT work like a cell phone where you have to buy a 2-year plan when you buy the device. VERY smart thinking on their part.

Jeeze, I oughta be an Apple salesman! :rofl:

Linux3
08-28-2011, 22:48
I've only ever heard of the iPad.....oh, now that you mention it, there are a bunch of lame wannabees that I occasionally see advertised, or in the stores....that what you're talking about?
If they are so lame why is Apple suing Samsung? And a pretty silly suit it is. Look it up, it looks like a drawing of a box with a screen. Even my tv is in danger.

The biggest problem you'll run into with an android iPad clone (apart from what is, IMO, a crappy OS to begin with) is the glaring lack of apps. The Apple iOS app store has hundreds of thousands of applications (aren't they into the millions yet?) and all the clones only have barely a fraction of that.

But how many versions of a youtube video viewer or whatever do you need? I only need 12 or so music players, not 50.

As for expandable storage, that's a little trickier; you can't expand the built-in storage on an iPad, nor are there USB/SD card slots
Yup, there's the rub. Apple locks you into the AppleStore and nothing else.
Take so images with your digital camera. Want to see them on your tablet? With the Samsung, just plug the card in the slot.
With am iPad? Well, this gets tricky.

Not saying the iPad is bad. Just way to locked down for my taste.

DreamWeaver88
08-29-2011, 00:16
Take so images with your digital camera. Want to see them on your tablet? With the Samsung, just plug the card in the slot.
With am iPad? Well, this gets tricky.

Not saying the iPad is bad. Just way to locked down for my taste.

Now you're just spreading misinformation. The Galaxy tab doesn't have a card reader built in. You can get an SD card reader adapter, but you can also get one for the iPad.

DW

boomhower
08-29-2011, 00:20
My phone is Android but my tablet is an iPad. Droid tablets are just in there first generation and aren't up to par with the iPad yet. The hardware is getting there fast but the software has some catching up to do. I have no doubt it will but it's time isn't here yet.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

n2extrm
08-29-2011, 05:16
I guess that is one of.my. concerns. The privacy of my contacts on an open OS like Android vs the closed nature of Apple. I hear rumors Apple tracks.users sells info. I maybe explaining my concern wrong or misunderstanding the subject. That's why I am here. Lol. Trying tp understand more and then go out and shop hold a few I'm the hands. Thanks so far this has been great.

Drjones
08-29-2011, 19:28
I guess that is one of.my. concerns. The privacy of my contacts on an open OS like Android vs the closed nature of Apple. I hear rumors Apple tracks.users sells info. I maybe explaining my concern wrong or misunderstanding the subject. That's why I am here. Lol. Trying tp understand more and then go out and shop hold a few I'm the hands. Thanks so far this has been great.

It's a fact that there has been a good amount of malware apps discovered in the android app market - not so with Apple. Yes, some apps (maybe even Apple) track certain types of data, but if you think your ISP and government isn't doing the same thing, you're nuts.

Who cares about "open vs. closed" - it sounds like you're stuck on the philosophy. There aren't a whole lot of things that I want to do on my iPad that I can't.

Also, if you lose the iPad or it gets stolen, you can remotely locate it and then wipe it for free using a built-in Apple service.

n2extrm
08-29-2011, 20:20
It's a fact that there has been a good amount of malware apps discovered in the android app market - not so with Apple. Yes, some apps (maybe even Apple) track certain types of data, but if you think your ISP and government isn't doing the same thing, you're nuts.

Who cares about "open vs. closed" - it sounds like you're stuck on the philosophy. There aren't a whole lot of things that I want to do on my iPad that I can't.

Also, if you lose the iPad or it gets stolen, you can remotely locate it and then wipe it for free using a built-in Apple service.

Oh I am not Stuck at all. I just don't understand a lot of it to be honest. The I pad looks better in a lot of ways. I like the wipe feature you mentioned. one of the things I value OS security and to me that edge for a to Apple. I think that is what scares me the most with Droid OS the open format. Thanks again. Once I get off this deployment I am going.to nest buy to tap on a few. If I go G3 on am iPad who is the service e provider? Is it through Apple of do I need Verizon or the similar? I saw Verizon is pay ny the month and gig. :dunno:

n2extrm
09-03-2011, 21:16
Just wanted to stop back and let folks know where I ended up. I picked up an IPad II today 16 gig with Verizon 3G for good measure. Thanks for the input. Now I just got to figure this thing out. So far I like it a lot, but I am still finding my way around. Posting from it right now.

sappy13
09-06-2011, 11:36
If you can find a HP touchpad they are well worth the 100 or 150. I got one of the firesale 32 gigs the other day for 150. i love it. especially since its easily overclockable to 1.832 with no side affects, plus ubuntu can be run on it. Im really looking forward to android being ported over, which is very close since all they have left is getting the touchscreen working. It doesnt have all the extra ports that some of the tablets do, but for the price, especially since it can be faster than all the others, its worth it

fx77
09-06-2011, 12:43
Verizon has 4G..apple does not have it yet.