New sighting system for EDC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New sighting system for EDC

Mudcat
08-28-2011, 06:39
I have been running the XS Big Dot sights for several years now on my EDC G19 They have worked very well for me. They are a fine combat sight designed for getting a quick sight picture.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/mudcat47537/guns/015.jpg

Just put the big front sight on the target and squeeze at combat distances. To do anything past 12í or so just put the ball on the target and line it up to where the front sight dots the (i) of the rear sight and squeeze. Very simple to do, even under stress. My problem with them was when I started to shoot some of the ďgamesĒ like IDPA. They didnít work at farther distances very well for me. I know others have great luck doing this but they obviously have more skill, better eye sight or whatever. I struggled to make -0 hits. Now I play the games strictly for practice not really to win. I like the courses of fire and the way they set them up and I believe it is great practical practice. Even though I donít think it is any good for training tactics, but that is another story. I make my hits with the Big Dots but at distance they were slower for me to use and harder. It showed me the weakness I have with this sighting system. Yes I practiced with more than 13,000 rounds through this set up. Then one match I shot my G34 with the Sevengy carry sights and shot much better, but they are not durable enough for EDC with the fiber optic front sight. I began to look around and found the Ameriglow i Dot Pro sighting system. These are the sights that come on some of the Glock EXC pistols. They have a red outline around the front sight tritium tube making it easy to pick up in the regular and low light. The rear sight is a wide notch that the front sight sits down inside of like a regular post and notch sight, with just 1 tritium tube in the center of the notch.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/mudcat47537/d8687c80.jpg

So in dark or low light just line the 2 dots up on top of each other (:) and squeeze. You can get fast shots with the big front outlined sight just like the Big Dots but you have a notched rear sight like a regular sight for precision work or those longer shots. The tubes are made by Trijicon in both the XS Big Dots and the Ameriglows so they should be very durable. The rear sight of the i Dot Pro is rounded to prevent snags but is high enough and squared off making one handed slide manipulations against the belt, holster or what ever easy. The only downside I can possibly see to the i Dots is that the front sight seems to be kind of high but it is steel so should be no worries of it breaking off. The rear sight has started to rust but every steel sight I have had on a Glock has rusted probably because I donít wipe the gun down with oil. A little oil and a brush and they are fine, that is minor in my book.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/mudcat47537/35e36958.jpg

I have run these now for a couple months and now have them on my G26. I have a new favorite. I also recommend you check them out if you are looking for a better sighting system. My son runs the same sights on his EDC but he opted for the 3 dot with the larger outlined front sight and a traditional 2 dot rear sight.

2 Hawks
08-28-2011, 18:02
I run I dots on my 29. I'm really satisfied with them and the customer service I always get from Ameriglo..

texas 48
09-03-2011, 20:07
I have I dots on my 23 and 19 but prefer Heinies Slant pro straight 8's on my other Glocks that I carry every day. The I dots are a great alternative. Just wish the rear dot was a little larger.

JYogi
09-17-2011, 09:05
I run 10-8 sights on mine and am VERY happy!