I'm donw with my LEE dies; trying RCBS next [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm donw with my LEE dies; trying RCBS next

crsuribe
08-28-2011, 13:00
The LEE dies are fine and well made but the problem I'm having is that the bullet seater is actually round and it pushes the cavities on the hollowpoints shut. Especially the XTP's... pretty much turns them into FMJ's...

So I went back to Cabela's to inspect other dies and found that the RCBS ones have a flat bullet seater and I think that will help with this problem.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong because I haven't heard of anybody else having the same problem with the LEE dies.

sig357fan
08-28-2011, 13:04
never heard of anything like that before, pic please.

sig357fan

DoctaGlockta
08-28-2011, 13:25
My money is that you are crimping the mouth of the case before you are actually seating the bullet. Just a quick guess.

I have done a lot of stupid things while learning to reload but I never have crushed a HP into a RN.

nastytrigger
08-28-2011, 13:41
I'm new to reloading, but that's a weird problem. Hard to think a seater die would crush a hollow point. There isn't that much pressure applied, or is there? Pics please. Maybe a belling problem? Actually, RCBS comes with two seater plugs, so I think that is an easy solution.

I've had good luck with my RCBS dies in 9mm and .45ACP. Had a COAL issue at first, but once I found the best length for my barrel, I'm having no issues.

Posted Via Outdoor Hub Mobile App for iPhone

Uncle Don
08-28-2011, 13:44
My money is that you are crimping the mouth of the case before you are actually seating the bullet. Just a quick guess.

I have done a lot of stupid things while learning to reload but I never have crushed a HP into a RN.

I agree - pushing a bullet into an alredy crimed case isn't the fault of the die. Furthermore, you could fill the cavity with expoxy if necessary and you would have a flat surface to push the bullet in - all for the cost of a bullet seating stem. No offense intended, but it doesn't seem like the die is at fault here - perhaps the RCBS dies will overcome this error :)

In all my years of loading, I haven't ever experienced anything close to that.

fredj338
08-28-2011, 13:51
The LEE dies are fine and well made but the problem I'm having is that the bullet seater is actually round and it pushes the cavities on the hollowpoints shut. Especially the XTP's... pretty much turns them into FMJ's...

So I went back to Cabela's to inspect other dies and found that the RCBS ones have a flat bullet seater and I think that will help with this problem.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong because I haven't heard of anybody else having the same problem with the LEE dies.

Not uncommon, they only provide one seating stem ,but you can just buy another one from them in a FP/TC design. I need to for my 45AR dies as it does the same thing w/ my 250grLSWCHP.:crying: It's not odd at all if the HP is soft, like lead or has a large lead expeoed JHP. Done it many, many times. One reason for the epoxy fit, you can make it fit that HP precisely & avoid any possability of closing the HP.

bush pilot
08-28-2011, 13:53
Adjust your seating depth on the case/bullet and then back off the seating stem to adjust the crimp. This doesn't sound like a bad die.

How are you doing UD?

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 13:59
I've smooshed swaged HP bullets a little, or semijacketed HP a little, but I've never smooshed a fully jacketed HP. I seat XTP's no problem on my Lee die in 9mm.

GioaJack
08-28-2011, 14:55
Seating dies are seating dies, nothing magical about them and unless one happens to be defective you'll gain nothing by changing.

Seating stems are designed to seat a limited variety of bullet profiles but with a simple modification and a few minutes time you can make one seating stem work for any profile you will ever load. Buy some two-part epoxy or JB Weld and you'll be set for life.

I tend to buy very, very small tubes, but then again I don't buy green bananas.

Jack

Uncle Don
08-28-2011, 15:09
How are you doing UD?

Just taking it a day at time and scratchin' where it itches. Good to see your posts.

El_Ron1
08-28-2011, 15:30
RCBS used to come with several stem plugs, do they still?

OP, call Lee an' get hooked up.

crsuribe
08-28-2011, 15:39
Please don't be offended but I laughed when I read some suggested I was crimping the cases before seating the bullet. That would not be possible at all. I don't know about your cases but mine won't take a bullet unless they're slightly flared and I have my sating die set to not crimp at all. For that, I use a separate die at the very end of the process.

Here's some pics:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee56/crsuribe/100E0172.jpg

Before (left), after (right).
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee56/crsuribe/100E0181.jpg

These cases were brand new and had no carbon coating inside from previously burnt powder so they were a little stiffer and that contributed to the problem but I see how this concave seating stem would cause that on these particular bullets by just looking at it.

I actually did a google search (which I should've done to begin with) and found that this is NOT an uncommon problem with the stock LEE stem. LEE offers custom stems if you send them a bullet sample and $8 plus $5 for shipping, and other people just modify the stock stem with tools or epoxy/jb weld.

Though honestly this is too much trouble imo and RCBS offers a design that I know almost for sure will work better. So I'm still gonna return these dies and get the RCBS ones for just about $20 more if I include the crimping die, or $5 more without that die. I do find that the RCBS dies are better finished too.

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 15:41
This seems a bit trollish.

Uncle Don
08-28-2011, 15:55
Actually, it is possible to crimp the case prior to final bullet seating. This is done when someone turns the die body in further than they should and then uses the adjustment knob for "final adjustment".

It is my opinion that the reason some people have this issue is not necessarily through their own fault but how many die manufactures advise as to how to set themin the instructions. The idea that you can set it "x" distance from the shell holder before starting your adjustment is a mistake.

Here is how I do it and its never let me down. First, adjust the locking ring and the knob up as high as they will go. With a slightly flared case in the shell holder, run the case into an empty die hole and hold it there. Turn the die body in until it stops which is where the crimp shoulder has met with the top of your case. Set the lock ring so it doesn't go any deeper.

Next, turn the adjustment knob down a couple of turns and place your bullet on the empty case and run it into the die. Keep doing this until you get the depth you want. This is easy because you are not crimping at this point. When you have the depth at the desired point, lower the case and turn the adjustment knob back out a couple of turns and screw the die body in another half turn. Run the case into the die which will crimp it - then just turn the knob down until it stops. Now you have a die that is crimping the case at the same time the bullet reaches it's desired depth. I highly suspect your marks will go away. Works for me - but this advise along with .75 cents will get you a cheap cup of coffee.

Colorado4Wheel
08-28-2011, 15:58
So your positive your die is not crimping a little? Take a empty but flared case and insert it in the die. See if it removes the flare. Might as well check the obvious.

As far as the seating stem. Call Lee. A flat stem is NOT custom. It should be cheap. It might push a soft nose down. So I would check the other stuff as well.

Colorado4Wheel
08-28-2011, 15:59
Actually, it is possible to crimp the case prior to final bullet seating. This is done when someone turns the die body in further than they should and then uses the adjustment knob for "final adjustment".

It is my opinion that the reason some people have this issue is not necessarily through their own fault but how many die manufactures advise as to how to set themin the instructions. The idea that you can set it "x" distance from the shell holder before starting your adjustment is a mistake.

Here is how I do it and its never let me down. First, adjust the locking ring and the knob up as high as they will go. With a slightly flared case in the shell holder, run the case into an empty die hole and hold it there. Turn the die body in until it stops which is where the crimp shoulder has met with the top of your case. Set the lock ring so it doesn't go any deeper.

Next, turn the adjustment knob down a couple of turns and place your bullet on the empty case and run it into the die. Keep doing this until you get the depth you want. This is easy because you are not crimping at this point. When you have the depth at the desired point, lower the case and turn the adjustment knob back out a couple of turns and screw the die body in another half turn. Run the case into the die which will crimp it - then just turn the knob down until it stops. Now you have a die that is crimping the case at the same time the bullet reaches it's desired depth. I highly suspect your marks will go away. Works for me - but this advise along with .75 cents will get you a cheap cup of coffee.

I do the same. I do back it out 1/2 a turn after I find the shoulder of the crimp part of the die. Don't really know why I do that.

crsuribe
08-28-2011, 16:06
This seems a bit trollish.
Are you drunk again? Or just paranoid as usual? Sorry this thread isn't about the weather bud.

Yeah that's how I set my dies. Which is why on my previous post I mentioned that I have the seating die set so it doesn't crimp at all and I crimp with a separate die, the Lee factory crimp die, at the very end of the process. So that is not the issue.

But hey, I think it was you or someone else here who told me how to setup my seating die so it wouldn't crimp and it works great! So thanks for the advice.

In fact I only have this problem with the XTP's since they already have a narrow-ish cavity, in 10mm at least. The 150gr noslers I usually load do get a little bit crushed but not enough to affect expansion. Every one I recovered expanded lime a champ.

crsuribe
08-28-2011, 16:30
So your positive your die is not crimping a little? Take a empty but flared case and insert it in the die. See if it removes the flare. Might as well check the obvious.

As far as the seating stem. Call Lee. A flat stem is NOT custom. It should be cheap. It might push a soft nose down. So I would check the other stuff as well.

Just checked for the sake of science and the crimper doesn't make contact with the case at all... but I agree it was worth checking!

I will actually call LEE tomorrow and see if they'll send me a flat seater plug...

Colorado4Wheel
08-28-2011, 16:35
Let us know what they say. I would think they would have flat ones just ready to go. I would be more inclined to get a custom one. The flat one will likely push the point down some. $7 is cheap for a new custom stem (your going to spend $5 on shipping either way).

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 16:37
Are you drunk again? Or just paranoid as usual? Sorry this thread isn't about the weather bud.

Yeah that's how I set my dies. Which is why on my previous post I mentioned that I have the seating die set so it doesn't crimp at all and I crimp with a separate die, the Lee factory crimp die, at the very end of the process. So that is not the issue.

But hey, I think it was you or someone else here who told me how to setup my seating die so it wouldn't crimp and it works great! So thanks for the advice.

In fact I only have this problem with the XTP's since they already have a narrow-ish cavity, in 10mm at least. The 150gr noslers I usually load do get a little bit crushed but not enough to affect expansion. Every one I recovered expanded lime a champ.

I just think it's funny that you come on here, bash a product that no one else seems to have a problem with, then respond to advice by telling everyone you know what you're doing and the only solution is to return the Lee product and buy an RCBS product. If you weren't a troll, you would have just changed out the Lee for the RCBS and THEN started a thread about how the RCBS works better for you.

BTW, I don't drink, and there are pages of search results already coming out about what a sham the whole Irene hype is.

I wish I was smart like you though. Too much trouble to put epoxy in a seating stem, too much trouble to have lee send you a stem shaped any way you want, too much trouble to grind the stem you have flat so buy another set of dies that comes with a nearly identicel seating stem, to have the same problem.
If I posted this on a 4WD forum, people would call me a troll:

My jeep got stuck in a paved parking lot, the 4WD on jeeps sucks, I'm getting a 4Runner!!!:faint:

crsuribe
08-28-2011, 17:01
Lol shut the hell up Wisky, my god you get more idiotic with every post. No, I'm not gonna mexineer my reloading tools so they will work the way they're supposed to. If that's your thing then good for you dude.

I don't have to explain to you why I posted this and the reason I did before I bought the other dies is pretty obvious.

You're the troll and a terrible one too. The bullet seater on the RCBS dies is most certainly not "nearly" identical, but of course you wouldn't know that 'cause your head is stuck too far up your tail.

Anyway, I'm not about to argue with an Internet tough guy and my decisions and the way I spend my money is my business so if you don't agree with it and would be happier if I modified these dies instead of buying a different brand then you're all out of luck brother! But hey! At least you get to choose not to participate in my thread if you have nothing to contribute or if you don't like the thread 'cause it doesn't mention the weather enough or whatever!

--

Anyway, like I said in my first post, for those who missed it, I like the LEE dies, I just don't enjoy my bullets getting crushed that way. And this is something that other people have experienced (something I discovered after performing a quick Google search which, again, is something I should've done to begin with) so it seems I'm not alone in this one.

I expect LEE to offer me a flat seater and/or a custom one. Which would probably solve the problem. I read that the locking nut on the RCBS dies is garbage, and that is a big turn off.

We'll see what LEE says!

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 17:10
Lol shut the hell up Wisky, my god you get more idiotic with every post. No, I'm not gonna mexineer my reloading tools so they will work the way they're supposed to. If that's your thing then good for you dude.

I don't have to explain to you why I posted this and the reason I did before I bought the other dies is pretty obvious.

You're the troll and a terrible one too. The bullet seater on the RCBS dies is most certainly not "nearly" identical, but of course you wouldn't know that 'cause your head is stuck too far up your tail.

Anyway, I'm not about to argue with an Internet tough guy and my decisions and the way I spend my money is my business so if you don't agree with it and would be happier if I modified these dies instead of buying a different brand then you're all out of luck brother! But hey! At least you get to choose not to participate in my thread if you have nothing to contribute or if you don't like the thread 'cause it doesn't mention the weather enough or whatever!

--

Anyway, like I said in my first post, for those who missed it, I like the LEE dies, I just don't enjoy my bullets getting crushed that way. And this is something that other people have experienced (something I discovered after performing a quick Google search which, again, is something I should've done to begin with) so it seems I'm not alone in this one.

I expect LEE to offer me a flat seater and/or a custom one. Which would probably solve the problem. I read that the locking nut on the RCBS dies is garbage, and that is a big turn off.

We'll see what LEE says!

Well played sir, do more 180's than can be counted in one post, AND manage to fit in an ethnic slur. Lee sucks, I love Lee; RCBS is great, but they suck too; mexineer speaks for itself.

GioaJack
08-28-2011, 17:13
crsuribe:

There is nothing mexineer, what ever that means about making your own 'custom' seating stem from an existing one. It is simply a matter of being self-sufficient and making a piece of equipment produce in a manner that it was not designed for.

There is nothing wrong with your current stem you're simply asking it to do something it was not intended to do. Luckily in today's age you have several choices to remedy the situation... this was not always the case. Some of us who have been doing this for more than a few mango seasons learned very early how to modify equipment in such a way that it is easily converted back to its intended purpose or modified yet again to serve another purpose.

It's pretty much part of becoming a true hand loader and not just a production line laborer. Everyone has their own goals I guess.

Jack

crsuribe
08-28-2011, 17:43
crsuribe:
It's pretty much part of becoming a true hand loader and not just a production line laborer. Everyone has their own goals I guess.

Jack

You are right. I do not intend to become "The Chosen One", when it comes to handloading. I just wanna make ammo that I can shoot at the range.

Sorry but I didn't know LEE dies were not designed to seat hollow point bullets without crushing the cavity. I honestly didn't even suspect that but thanks for letting me know. Do you have any sort of documentation to support that claim though? It doesn't say it on the manual, however they do claim that they can make you a custom bullet seater, but I didn't expect this to be necessary for JHP's.

Either way, this thread has served its purpose and gave me some pretty good ideas that I can try before I go and buy different dies.

El_Ron1
08-28-2011, 17:45
I'ma mexineer! 'Viva Bush!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/kskiska/bush-mexican-flag-3.jpg

GioaJack
08-28-2011, 17:54
Different seating stems are designed to seat different nose profiles. I don't think it would be reasonable to expect a stem designed to seat a SWC to seat a RN without doing damage or at least marring the bullet.

Being new at this you wouldn't be expected to know all the nuances of loading or the equipment, this is how you learn and that knowledge doesn't come overnight.

Being a bit less defensive and a little more open to suggestions or alternatives to doing things might make your learning curve a bit more enjoyable.

If your goal was to learn defensive shooting would you tell someone who had survived numerous real world situations that they didn't know what they were talking about? Probably not... loading is not really any different, you're just going to load a lot more rounds than you're ever going to shoot in a social situation... if ever.

Jack

RustyFN
08-28-2011, 18:09
Sorry but I didn't know LEE dies were not designed to seat hollow point bullets without crushing the cavity.

Me either. I have seated thousands of HP's in 38 spcl with Lee dies and never had the problems you are talking about.

Zombie Steve
08-28-2011, 18:16
I've had this problem with the XTP's.

Flat seater works better, but still pinches them a tad. Never had this problem with any other hp's.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216244

And where are all the "you shouldn't load defensive ammo" folk? I figgered they'd be all worked up by now.

DoctaGlockta
08-28-2011, 18:19
Please don't be offended but I laughed when I read some suggested I was crimping the cases before seating the bullet. That would not be possible at all.

I was going to say I've never had an issue with Lee seating dies crushing my JHP too but didn't want to make the OP laugh at me anymore than he already has. And no offense taken Sir.

blastfact
08-28-2011, 18:52
I don't get it at all. I use XTP/JHP and Lee Dies all the time in 9mm, .38/357, .45 ACP and soon .40 for 10mm. I can't imagine it at all.

ursoboostd
08-28-2011, 19:23
Being a bit less defensive and a little more open to suggestions or alternatives to doing things might make your learning curve a bit more enjoyable.

Couldn't agree more.

crsuribe
08-28-2011, 22:54
Ok dude I'll go make my own dies out of paper clips and bubblegum wrappers so I can be a TRUE HANDLOADER!

Lol nah, I'm not gonna mess with the dies. If I have to fork over a few bucks to get some extra bullet seaters that's fine.

Thanks for the suggestions. Over and out.

El_Ron1
08-28-2011, 23:02
can I please get a silver name too, like all the cool cats?

http://yourtattoosucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/pay_up_sucker_tattoo.jpg

AA#5
08-28-2011, 23:23
A few years ago, I had a problem with the RCBS seating stem deforming bullets. I phoned RCBS & they asked me to send them one of each bullet I load. They sent me perfectly-fitting seating plugs for each bullet - no charge.

fredj338
08-28-2011, 23:47

We'll see what LEE says!
Well, if Lee sens you a free stem, that would be a first. I couldn't get them to send me one for my 45ar dies, but they are cheap enough to buy. What I do NOT get about the Lee dies, few 10mm or 40 bullets have a RN profile, so why a RN seating stem?:dunno:
As to the RCBS locking rings, geeze, Ford vs Chevy. Nothing wrong w/ them, many hate the Lee rings because they do NOT truely lock in place. Personnaly, I am not a fan of the Lee O-ring style & replace them w/ just about anything else, Dillon's work better on Dillon presses, they are smaller in OD. Since all dies have the same threads, they are interchangeable.:whistling:

kcbrown
08-29-2011, 04:23
Frankly, if the amount of pressure during seating is sufficient to close the hollowpoint cavity a bit, then I would be very surprised if an epoxy filler on the seating stem would hold up under the pressure well enough to give a consistent seating depth.

So while filling in the seating stem with epoxy might sound like a good idea, I'm skeptical that it would work very well for this particular problem.

A suitable seating stem from Lee is almost certainly the best way to go.

WiskyT
08-29-2011, 04:55
Frankly, if the amount of pressure during seating is sufficient to close the hollowpoint cavity a bit, then I would be very surprised if an epoxy filler on the seating stem would hold up under the pressure well enough to give a consistent seating depth.

So while filling in the seating stem with epoxy might sound like a good idea, I'm skeptical that it would work very well for this particular problem.

A suitable seating stem from Lee is almost certainly the best way to go.

Epoxy is rock hard. Most of it can be machined. While their may be a million kinds of "epoxy", the 2 part kind you buy for home use is much too hard to flex while seating a bullet.

WiskyT
08-29-2011, 04:56
I don't get it at all. I use XTP/JHP and Lee Dies all the time in 9mm, .38/357, .45 ACP and soon .40 for 10mm. I can't imagine it at all.

Your problem, dude, is that you don't seat your bullets with enough attitude.

crsuribe
08-29-2011, 09:58
Epoxy is rock hard. Most of it can be machined. While their may be a million kinds of "epoxy", the 2 part kind you buy for home use is much too hard to flex while seating a bullet.

You should take it from him Wisky. He makes all his silverware out of that stuff. He's that dang tough! :rofl:

GlockAzona
08-29-2011, 13:03
Ok dude I'll go make my own dies out of paper clips and bubblegum wrappers so I can be a TRUE HANDLOADER!

Lol nah, I'm not gonna mess with the dies. If I have to fork over a few bucks to get some extra bullet seaters that's fine.

Thanks for the suggestions. Over and out.

Just my observation, but it's apparent that You, Dremel, and a little Imagination, are all strangers.

crsuribe
08-29-2011, 15:35
Just my observation, but it's apparent that You, Dremel, and a little Imagination, are all strangers.
Got that right! I do not own a Dremel, hence why I'm not a TRUE RELOADER.

I also do not work on my own car. I pay someone to do it for me. I guess I'm not a TRUE CAR OWNER, either.

Don't work on my own guitars, either! Shocking as it may sound I pay an expert luthier to do it for me. Guess I'm not a TRUE GUITARIST either.

Gosh! I'm not a true anything, just a poser!! :crying:

Edit: dang I forgot to call them today and it's too late already. Will try to remember to do it tomorrow.

BTW I don't expect them to send me free stems, but hopefully they won't be too expensive either. We'll see.

RustyFN
08-29-2011, 16:05

I also do not work on my own car. I pay someone to do it for me. I guess I'm not a TRUE CAR OWNER, either.

Don't work on my own guitars, either! Shocking as it may sound I pay an expert luthier to do it for me. Guess I'm not a TRUE GUITARIST either.

Edit: dang I forgot to call them today and it's too late already. Will try to remember to do it tomorrow.

BTW I don't expect them to send me free stems, but hopefully they won't be too expensive either. We'll see.

Seems like you don't get along with people either so I guess you don't have any true friends. If I didn't know any better I would think you were Rickenbacker back with a new name.

Zombie Steve
08-29-2011, 16:13

I knew it!!!! This one's in league with Luthier!!!

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkt66v69LT1qzj5wdo1_500.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
08-29-2011, 17:59
No one even noticed I recommended he buy a Lee FCD?

You guys are slipping.

bamacisa
08-29-2011, 18:38
You can solve the deformed bullet problem. Unsrew the seating stem way out also dont screw the seating die down enough to remove the bell. Now make a small wad of paper and insert in the die so that it covers the end of the seating stem. The paper will be soft enough to not deform the bullet. Now lower the seating stem until the bullet is seated properly.. Unscrew (back out) the seating stem and adjust the die down and crimp the undamaged bullet. This is slower but it works every time.

RustyFN
08-29-2011, 18:46
No one even noticed I recommended he buy a Lee FCD?

You guys are slipping.

Yes we are. :rofl:

WiskyT
08-29-2011, 18:50
You can solve the deformed bullet problem. Unsrew the seating stem way out also dont screw the seating die down enough to remove the bell. Now make a small wad of paper and insert in the die so that it covers the end of the seating stem. The paper will be soft enough to not deform the bullet. Now lower the seating stem until the bullet is seated properly.. Unscrew (back out) the seating stem and adjust the die down and crimp the undamaged bullet. This is slower but it works every time.

You aint one of them Mezcans are ya?

bamacisa
08-29-2011, 18:56
You aint one of them Mezcans are ya?

NO, but I can speak Spanish.

WiskyT
08-29-2011, 19:03
NO, but I can speak Spanish.

Me neither. But I have been known to eat a lot of rice and beans and modify tools and parts as needed from time to time.

norton
08-29-2011, 20:01

I don't know how many times you have visited GTR, but the regulars on here know what they are talking about. They may not agree, and they can get a little cantankerous, but if you stroke them right and say pretty please they can help you with just about any reloading problem.

Tpro
08-29-2011, 20:03
Seems like you don't get along with people either so I guess you don't have any true friends. If I didn't know any better I would think you were Rickenbacker back with a new name.

Ok...you opened the box. Fill us newcomers in on who "Rickenbacker" is. Must be good..............:whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
08-29-2011, 20:06
Same attitude and a Guitar reference. Hmmm. Rusty may be right.

Tpro
08-29-2011, 20:09
Same attitude and a Guitar reference. Hmmm. Rusty may be right.

Rickenbacker was/is into guitars?

Colorado4Wheel
08-29-2011, 20:23
He was a argumentative, guitar loving, PITA. Seemed to lie a lot as well IIRC. I think he claimed to be a lawyer and even posted a false document to prove it (which failed). This is all from memory.

RustyFN
08-29-2011, 20:26
Ok...you opened the box. Fill us newcomers in on who "Rickenbacker" is. Must be good..............:whistling:

Rickenbacker would complain about people hording primers during the shortage and then brag about having 400,000 himself. He would ask for advice and then tell everybody who gave him advice they were wrong. He loved to argue and try to belittle everybody.

bush pilot
08-29-2011, 21:14
Rickenbacker would complain about people hording primers during the shortage and then brag about having 400,000 himself. He would ask for advice and then tell everybody who gave him advice they were wrong. He loved to argue and try to belittle everybody.

Wasn't he from Ohio?

Tpro
08-29-2011, 23:04
Ok got it. Thanks. He must have been gone for a while because I joined in May and this is the first I heard of him.

bush pilot
08-29-2011, 23:21
Ok got it. Thanks. He must have been gone for a while because I joined in May and this is the first I heard of him.

You're not missing anything. El Ron 1 pretty much took his place.

crsuribe
08-29-2011, 23:24
Well it wouldn't be hard to turn just about anybody into an argumentative PITA when a bunch of nerds jump whoever is asking for advise with their pushy suggestions even though the person who is asking for help has explained that they don't agree with those suggestions. Apparently, it is horribly wrong to disagree with these master geeks.

But hey it's like that all over the Internet. That's why I try to avoid posting serious questions on these forums. Disagree with the geeks and you'll get ganged by just about everybody who kisses their butts.

Anyway, to those who suggested going with a different seater plug and calling LEE and did not try to push their opinions on me like crazy christian fanatics, THANK YOU. That will definitely help me.

Everybody else. Eh well, enjoy the internet! :D

El_Ron1
08-29-2011, 23:55
You're not missing anything. El Ron 1 pretty much took his place.
How long they lettin' you out for this time, bp?

RustyFN
08-30-2011, 11:40
First it was Rickenbacker53, then Maninmirror, now who knows.

bush pilot
08-30-2011, 12:41
How long they lettin' you out for this time, bp?

All depends, the judge said I had to stay away from gun forums. I think he was appointed by Obama.

crsuribe
08-30-2011, 12:46
Just got done calling LEE. Got a very nice lady on the phone. She said they do not have flat point bullet seaters and that the only option is to send them a bullet sample with a $13 money order and they'll make me a custom seater. So I'm gonna do this for the XTP's.

And it almost bugs me to admit it but I picked up some epoxy and am going to modify my current bullet seater to work a little better with the Noslers that I normally load since those are getting SLIGHTLY crushed too.

For the XTP's though, I want them to be intact since I do plan on using them for hunting in the future and for that reason I am having the custom stem made for me.

Another 180 for you, by yours truly!

RustyFN
08-30-2011, 13:57
Just got done calling LEE. Got a very nice lady on the phone. She said they do not have flat point bullet seaters and that the only option is to send them a bullet sample with a $13 money order and they'll make me a custom seater. So I'm gonna do this for the XTP's.

And it almost bugs me to admit it but I picked up some epoxy and am going to modify my current bullet seater to work a little better with the Noslers that I normally load since those are getting SLIGHTLY crushed too.

For the XTP's though, I want them to be intact since I do plan on using them for hunting in the future and for that reason I am having the custom stem made for me.

Another 180 for you, by yours truly!

Hope it works out for you. $13 doesn't sound bad for a custom seater.

DoctaGlockta
08-30-2011, 14:13
Hope it works out for you. $13 doesn't sound bad for a custom seater.

For all the dorking around you would have to do I think $13 is a steal.

crsuribe
08-30-2011, 15:58
For all the dorking around you would have to do I think $13 is a steal.

Yeah me too. I might have them make another one for a flat point bullet just to have that kinda seater available in-case I need it in the future.

BLK RIFLE
08-30-2011, 16:26
Guess I've been lucky. I
I've been using Lee dies for 36 years and have never had a reload come out like that. I just loaded 200 Hornady 115 gr XTP a couple days ago and they all came out perfect. I guess I've loaded a few thousand since I went to Lee dies. I load 9mm, 38spl, 357, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 40 s&w, 460 Rowland, 400 Corbon and 223 Rem and they all have been great. BLK RIFLE

ursoboostd
08-30-2011, 17:27

Looks like GTR will end up making a "Mexineer" out of you after all......:tongueout:

El_Ron1
08-30-2011, 17:29
Yeah, you'll need to visit Los Chinos at Harbor Freight. http://www.picvault.info/images/537005589_mex.gif

GIockGuy24
08-30-2011, 18:02
Years ago I bought some RCBS steel dies before Lee made carbide dies and the coated RCBS dies were super expensive. I remember one or two of them came with both round and flat seating stems. Later I did buy Lee carbide dies in 38 Special. I think the RCBS steel dies I bought were 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 9x19. I don't remember which ones came with two seating stems but some or all of them did. Shell holders were sold separately though. I had one Lee shell holder shatter on me while loading a rifle cartridge.

crsuribe
08-30-2011, 18:09
Guess I've been lucky. I
I've been using Lee dies for 36 years and have never had a reload come out like that. I just loaded 200 Hornady 115 gr XTP a couple days ago and they all came out perfect. I guess I've loaded a few thousand since I went to Lee dies. I load 9mm, 38spl, 357, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 40 s&w, 460 Rowland, 400 Corbon and 223 Rem and they all have been great. BLK RIFLE

Probably not seating them with enough attitude man. It's already been suggested. Maybe you can try that?

Looks like GTR will end up making a "Mexineer" out of you after all......:tongueout:
Apparently! Yes! Viva la mexineering.

Yeah, you'll need to visit Los Chinos at Harbor Freight.
Trbajo trabajo?

Tpro
08-31-2011, 13:52
Probably not seating them with enough attitude man. It's already been suggested. Maybe you can try that?

Apparently! Yes! Viva la mexineering.

Trbajo trabajo?

I won't be able to follow this thread if you guys keep speaking American:whistling:

El_Ron1
08-31-2011, 13:58
Adding a LED light to your press is an easy way to ease into mexineering, crsuribe. Eliminating the batteries with a wall wort you've got laying around will get you some CRB cred. Usin' one of the free Harbor Freight lights racks up all kinda bonus points.

Zombie Steve
08-31-2011, 15:17
And make sure you save up on that unburnt powder for your WTF stash.

El_Ron1
09-01-2011, 10:58
You think there's much unburned primer residue in the empties, ZS?

http://i54.tinypic.com/24mdw0z.jpg

Koski? cohutt?

Zombie Steve
09-01-2011, 11:31
Definitely worth digging through. I bet there's at least on live primer in there too.

WiskyT
09-01-2011, 13:34
http://i54.tinypic.com/24mdw0z.jpg

Guess the number of spent primers in there correctly, and you win a Pro1000.

They are spent right?

GioaJack
09-01-2011, 15:02
Wouldn't a more valuable prize be the spent primers themselves?

Jack

El_Ron1
09-01-2011, 15:52
No reason you couldn't load up some Non Lethal shotgun rounds with them. You know, for family situations an' such.