CrashPlan; anyone use it? Thoughts? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CrashPlan; anyone use it? Thoughts?

Drjones
08-28-2011, 13:22
I was recently turned on to CrashPlan.

It is pretty cool for how flexible it is; you can backup several PCs in your house to a single point, or to each other, but the coolest feature that I'm most geeked on right now is the ability to create your own off-site backup by backing up your PCs to another PC, located anywhere in the world.

For example, I just setup my PC to backup to my lady's PC at her place. If I wanted, I could also setup my PC to backup to my mom's, etc.

I'm considering implementing this for a few of my business clients who refuse to use a cloud-based backup for security concerns, but they'd be OK with keeping a PC at their home to backup their office.

Anyone else??

Pierre!
08-28-2011, 19:43
Hadn't heard about it... but I will check it out!

With a Windows Home Server, I am rather spoiled - unless it's a 64Bit system which is a whole nuther story.

It simply does backups of data to specific locations - internet or local based...

Could be very useful for clients that have 2 sites.

How is the pricing? and how does the pricing work?

Thanks for the heads up....

Patrick

JimmyN
08-29-2011, 08:17
Rsync. I've been using it to do all those things for years, and it's probably faster. I've never found any backup program faster than rsync.

In one setup I have three NAS's in different offices (same company). Each backs up all the PC's on it's LAN using rsync, and then all three NAS's sync together at night so the backups are stored in three different locations. Each NAS has it's own backup, plus the backups of the other two offices.

All backup files are stored in their native format, so you can start up a program, navigate to the backup on the NAS, and open the file from there. No proprietary file formats. If you're backing up across the internet it will compress before sending and uncompress at the receiving end automatically to cut down on bandwidth and speed things along. It was created for backing up/syncing files across a LAN or WAN, and it works very well.

And it will also work through SSH so all file transfers across the web are through an encrypted tunnel.

Drjones
08-29-2011, 19:30
Hadn't heard about it... but I will check it out!

With a Windows Home Server, I am rather spoiled - unless it's a 64Bit system which is a whole nuther story.

It simply does backups of data to specific locations - internet or local based...

Could be very useful for clients that have 2 sites.

How is the pricing? and how does the pricing work?

Thanks for the heads up....

Patrick

Pricing is a little strange...you can do a fixed # of PC's for unlimited data, or an unlimited # of PC's for a fixed amount of data, both at a set monthly rate.

Check it out: www.crashplan.com

Drjones
08-29-2011, 19:32
Rsync. I've been using it to do all those things for years, and it's probably faster. I've never found any backup program faster than rsync.

In one setup I have three NAS's in different offices (same company). Each backs up all the PC's on it's LAN using rsync, and then all three NAS's sync together at night so the backups are stored in three different locations. Each NAS has it's own backup, plus the backups of the other two offices.

All backup files are stored in their native format, so you can start up a program, navigate to the backup on the NAS, and open the file from there. No proprietary file formats. If you're backing up across the internet it will compress before sending and uncompress at the receiving end automatically to cut down on bandwidth and speed things along. It was created for backing up/syncing files across a LAN or WAN, and it works very well.

And it will also work through SSH so all file transfers across the web are through an encrypted tunnel.

Yeah, but what's the interface like? Is it a GUI? How difficult is it to get setup?

Also, CrashPlan encrypts the data before sending it, and it remains encrypted at the remote location, which certainly has its benefits. It depends on what you need.

I've heard a lot about rsync, started to look into it & got a little intimidated...