After 25yrs an ankle holster that works [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : After 25yrs an ankle holster that works

mikegun
08-28-2011, 13:51
I found it, after attempting to find an ankle holster that works for me, over a 25yr period, and having owned many many of them, from cheap to very costly, i have found one, that ,is most comfy, does not move around no matter what, does not need a second garter strap, and by chance i have located an ankle holster that works, it is a RENEGADE HOLSTER, MADE IN arizona, A google search will locate one for you, i am so happy i could s..t, or 50 bucks, and money well spent, i dont even know i have it on....I have a model 51, made for a kel tec 380, BUT, due to its tough stretchable material i find that i can carry my smith mod 337 2 in 11 0z, snubby as well as my kel tec 9mm pf-9, in the holster and they all stay put. run jump fall on the ground and this holster will not move and remains comfy.

Dukeboy01
08-28-2011, 14:24
What do you carry in it? I'm always looking for alternative ankle holsters for my G26. I've gone back to using a nylon Uncle Mike of late.

Sgt127
08-28-2011, 14:55
I am sorry it took you so long to discover them, you could have just asked me. :)

I discovered them about 7 years ago. Just an awesome holster for a 642. The elastic is finally getting pretty ragged on mine, I need to order another one.

MeefZah
08-28-2011, 15:23
Why Google, they finally have a website: http://renegadeholstersdirect.com/

I love 'em.

BUT - For a hammerless Smith J frame, I cannot recommend their no strap elastic holster model 50. I had a failure with that model; the elastic was too feeble and the gun came out, and this was when the holster was new. I returned it and the woman told me they had some vendor issues with a batch of elastic...

I now use their model 52 which has a leather pouch with a very wide strap; it is great and securely retains the humpback 442 J frame. I also use the model 53 with a Glock 26, it also fits the Glock 19 if you really want to shoehorn a big gun on your ankle.

They are very comfortable and the best I've used, even with the issue with the model 50.

PROSOUTH
08-28-2011, 15:48
I have a Galco non-strap retention holster I've had for ten years and worked with it everyday when I was on Interdiction with no problems.

The one mentioned above may be great, but it is going to have to be super great to beat my Galco.

fla2760
08-28-2011, 15:55
I found it, after attempting to find an ankle holster that works for me, over a 25yr period, and having owned many many of them, from cheap to very costly, i have found one, that ,is most comfy, does not move around no matter what, does not need a second garter strap, and by chance i have located an ankle holster that works, it is a RENEGADE HOLSTER, MADE IN arizona, A google search will locate one for you, i am so happy i could s..t, 40 or 50 bucks, and money well spent, i dont even know i have it on....

The RENEGADE is great.

MeefZah
08-28-2011, 16:28
I have a Galco non-strap retention holster I've had for ten years and worked with it everyday when I was on Interdiction with no problems.

The one mentioned above may be great, but it is going to have to be super great to beat my Galco.

I've tried Galco and DeSantis, and the Renegade is better.

It's "betterness" comes from the high level of comfort, quality of the velcro, the boot length of the strap (not cut short for skinny ankles like DeSantis), the snugness of the fit to your leg, the good stability and lack of flopping while running, the long term durability (my last one lasted 5 years of daily use and had a lot more life left in it before I switched guns), and the good customer service.

As I mentioned above I had an issue with a model 50 and they took care of it immediately. I generally don't give companies a second chance if they screw something up so for me to still be giving them a good reference means they are doing something right.

Dragoon44
08-28-2011, 18:48
Glad to see that someone picked up and carried on with the old Rogers ankle holsters. I still have one of the originals that I used for years.

The Renegade 500 is pure rogers ankle holster, one of the best designs ever for a snubbie. it holds the gun snug against your ankle and in the draw your index finger just naturally wipes the retention strap free. And it also happens to be one of the most comfortable ankle holsters ever made.

lawman800
08-28-2011, 23:06
I swear by my galco ankle glove for my glock 26. But I am looking for an alternative for my 642. Will have to give this a serious consideration.

series1811
08-29-2011, 04:42
I carried my Sig P239 in a Ken Null ankle holster. It was so comfortable, I actually found myself thinking I had forgotten it and left it at home a few times. But, I used a Glaco before, too and it was pretty decent as most Galco products are.

Even though I'm retired, I still wear my Galco belt every day. It is over ten years old and I believe it will still be going strong when I expire.

scottydl
08-29-2011, 07:40
Would one of the Renegade "Cozy Partner" be workable for use with patrol boots? I'm still looking for a good BUG option for my Glock 27 on duty. Ankle holster seems like it may be the best option. The website shows all the Renegade models but doesn't really explain what applications they're all for, just described the leather and retention. I'm open to any recommended brand/model really. In case anyone has a used one sitting around, let me know via PM.

lawman800
08-29-2011, 08:13
Go with the Galco ankle glove and the boot extension strap accessory.

MeefZah
08-29-2011, 10:59
Would one of the Renegade "Cozy Partner" be workable for use with patrol boots? I'm still looking for a good BUG option for my Glock 27 on duty. Ankle holster seems like it may be the best option. The website shows all the Renegade models but doesn't really explain what applications they're all for, just described the leather and retention. I'm open to any recommended brand/model really. In case anyone has a used one sitting around, let me know via PM.

Yes, the 53 is long enough to go around boots and fits the 26 / 27.

PROSOUTH
08-29-2011, 17:22
I'm not familiar with the RENEGADE HOLSTER, It may very well be the Cat's Meow and if it is I'd really like to see one.

One of the things about an ankle holster and any ankle holster is the Apple and Orange thing. I can see an ankle holster for an Air Weight Snubbie or similar small light weight weapon being contained and comfortable on your ankle, but a loaded Glock, even the 27 size, seems a little heavy and maybe even a little large to control with any holster positioned on your ankle.

My Galco Retention Ankle Glove has rode comfortably inside my left ankle for years with the 442 S&W riding in it. I also have the extension for the Matterhorn's and Danners to allow its use on them.

One of the most favored attributes of the Galco Retention Holster is the fact that there is no strap on the model I use. Brother let me tell you that mine has been involved in many rough fights on the side of the Interstate and foot pursuits with never a slip.

I guess ankle holsters are like wives, ya just gotta keep tryin' till you find one that is just right, and brother have I got a box full of used holsters too.

lol :rofl:

scottydl
08-29-2011, 19:25
I guess ankle holsters are like wives, ya just gotta keep tryin' till you find one that is just right, and brother have I got a box full of used holsters too.

Well with a little planning and foresight, I've managed to keep the first and only wife I ever plan on having... so ideally I wouldn't mind getting the holster right on the first try as well. :cool:

lawman800
08-29-2011, 20:12
I still prefer three thumb snap over a velcro strap though, just because I like the stealth feature of a silent release instead of the"riiiiip" of the velcro. You know, ninja stuff and all.

Dragoon44
08-30-2011, 10:14
I carried my Sig P239 in a Ken Null ankle holster. It was so comfortable,

Ken Null holsters are great, they are virtually works of art and last forever. I had one for my S&W M38 and wore it for months with no problem, ( it was the open top model that used the hand fitted molding for retention) Until the day I bailed out of the car and had to jump a big ditch to run a guy down. On the way back to the car I found my M38 laying on the ground near the edge of the ditch.

Still love Null holsters just don't use the open top models anymore.

MeefZah
08-30-2011, 11:15
I still prefer three thumb snap over a velcro strap though, just because I like the stealth feature of a silent release instead of the"riiiiip" of the velcro. You know, ninja stuff and all.

By the time you are drawing your backup gun in the line of duty, the noise it makes coming from the holster will be the least of your concerns.

buddah
08-30-2011, 13:41
I've tried them all (17.5 yrs. in L.E carrying a badge and gun)and I rank them in this order:

1)Alessi ankle holster-If you have the $$ then this is the rolls royce of ankle rigs.

2)Galco ankle rig- Very comfortable and reasonably priced. Volkswagon of ankle holsters.

3)Renegade ankle rig- Priced right. Same type of elastic and padding as galco but holster is not very molded/form fitting. Very comfortable but gun doesn't fit as well in the holster like the other 2 brands.Crown vic of ankle rigs.

Just my $.02. you can't go wrong w/ any of the above three models.

scottydl
08-30-2011, 15:52
buddah what make/models of weapons have you carried in those respective ankle rigs?

series1811
08-31-2011, 04:33
Ken Null holsters are great, they are virtually works of art and last forever. I had one for my S&W M38 and wore it for months with no problem, ( it was the open top model that used the hand fitted molding for retention) Until the day I bailed out of the car and had to jump a big ditch to run a guy down. On the way back to the car I found my M38 laying on the ground near the edge of the ditch.

Still love Null holsters just don't use the open top models anymore.

My biggest problem with Ken was that he was such a grouch to talk to. :supergrin:

lawman800
08-31-2011, 07:33
By the time you are drawing your backup gun in the line of duty, the noise it makes coming from the holster will be the least of your concerns.

I don't ankle carry on duty. This would strictly be off duty carry where I have to maintain total stealth and ninja like invisibility.:whistling:

Sharky7
08-31-2011, 10:11
These look very similar to the Desantis apache. I think I would prefer the button snap of the apache instead of the velcro rip. I also like the button snap being on the inside so it does not get snagged. I have used the apache in the past, used it for about 4 years or so until the elastic gave out. I stretched it out quite a bit going over my fat winter boots every year.
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/90-90/opplanet-desantis-apache-ankle-rig-style-062.gif

Comfort wise, I really enjoy the bianchi triad, but dislike the position of the snap on it because it can get snagged.

TheGreatGonzo
08-31-2011, 11:59
I carried my Sig P239 in a Ken Null ankle holster.

You are my new hero. I carry a P239 off-duty and there is no way I could carry it in any ankle rig, be it Ken Null or Matt DelFatti! I find it perfect for belt carry, but my dainty little ankles ain't gonna' have none of that!
Gonzo

Dragoon44
08-31-2011, 12:12
My biggest problem with Ken was that he was such a grouch to talk to. :supergrin:

The one time I actually talked to him I was the grouchy one, had just gotten to sleep after working 24hrs straight wrapping up a homicide when he called. I was definitely not a great conversationalist that day.

:rofl:

lawman800
08-31-2011, 21:01
The one time I actually talked to him I was the grouchy one, had just gotten to sleep after working 24hrs straight wrapping up a homicide when he called. I was definitely not a great conversationalist that day.

:rofl:

When are you ever?:whistling:

SenorGG
09-01-2011, 12:17
+1 for Alessi. Have worn it 30+ hours straight through on a shift and forgot I had it on. Feel your pain Dragoon...

steveksux
09-01-2011, 20:10
After 25yrs an ankle holster that works
I think you were doing something wrong. A holster shouldn't take 25 years to break in...

Randy

toddmog
09-01-2011, 22:41
How is the renegade when it comes to reholstering? Is it a pain re-arming after leaving the jail?

Dragoon44
09-02-2011, 10:59
When are you ever?:whistling:

I am always a great conversationalist, I just don't always use words to get my point across.

:tongueout::supergrin:

buddah
09-02-2011, 19:11
Renegade: carried a kahr pm9 and KT Pf9. Very comfortable but reholstering was pita.
alessi: carried my s&w 642, very comfortable and great retention even w/o thumbbreak. Also had one for g27 and traded it for alessi for 642. G27 just ain't ankle gun no matter whose holster you carry it in.
currently a plainclothes investigator using galco ankle glove for kahr pm9 and galco ankle lite with a lcp.

lawman800
09-02-2011, 20:52
When I wore baggier pants, concealing a g26 with the galco ankle glove was not a problem. I couldn't use the g19 mags though. Reholstering was also a cinch since the holster held it's shape unlike the cheap nylon or elastic holsters.

Sharky7
09-02-2011, 21:03
How is the renegade when it comes to reholstering? Is it a pain re-arming after leaving the jail?

Just leave it on in the jail - solves your problems right there. Then bad guy doesn't watch you get the BUG out and lock it up.

I'm a bad boy and usually bring mine in. I'm not too comforted when I hear about this junk-
http://www.correctionsone.com/corrections/articles/1843846-Man-sneaks-gun-into-Cook-County-jail-complex/

lawman800
09-02-2011, 21:37
Bringing a firearm into a corrections facility is a pretty serious offense in CA, and officers are not exempt from it... Just saying.

toddmog
09-02-2011, 21:56
I could probably get away with it at our jail, but still wouldn't risk it. I did a transport from a jail a couple counties over and practically had to strip down. No gun, taser, pocket knife, OC, baton, etc... The only thing left on my belt were nitrile gloves, cuffs and spare ammo. I'm glad I don't have to frequent there.