1st reloads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1st reloads

xXGearheadXx
08-28-2011, 16:44
So, the Dillon XL650 got here in the mail tuesday. I got it set up and popped out 4 test batches of 9mm. Used Hornady XTP bullets, assorted brass, CCI 500 primers, and controlled powder 1st at 1.06 COL. 3.8gr, 4.2, and 4.5 GR accurate NO2...10 rds apeice Then dropped COL to 1.05 and pulled off 10 more at 4.2gr.

After saying a little prayer (something to the effect of "god, if these things are going to blow up and take off a finger or blow out my eyes, feel free to have someone/something crash into my new truck...i'll get the picture). Seeing that i made it to the range OK i felt pretty confident i'd be alright.

Long story short, all 40 went boom in my G17, with fairly noticeable increases in pop as i moved up in charge, then a little more pop on the lower COL length rounds. No failures, no squibs, no problems. I'm a pretty happy camper right now.

Just thought i'd share. :cool::supergrin:

Pappabacon
08-28-2011, 16:49
Awesome! I just ordered my first reloading supplies to go with my RCBS kit. Cannot wait.

Colorado4Wheel
08-28-2011, 17:01
Great news.

Why are you loading so short? Is that as long as your barrel will allow with that bullet?

xXGearheadXx
08-28-2011, 17:11
Great news.

Why are you loading so short? Is that as long as your barrel will allow with that bullet?

Hornady manual stated 1.05 COL...

Depending on source, i've seen the 124 xtps at 1.060...checked a hornady ftx bullet and it was 1.089. the bullet was significantly longer (on a digital caliper) than the 115xtps i was loading. Seemed consistent.

Curious thing though, what's the relationship between accuracy and distance between the bullet and rifling? Is closer more accurate or is further? I did notice all of my loads shot high...and i consistently kill a 0 zone on an idpa target (head or body) at 15 yds with factory loads.

Hogpauls
08-28-2011, 17:24
Good to hear your fingers are still intact. The pucker factor runs quite high with your first reloads. Enjoy your new hobby and machinery.

xXGearheadXx
08-28-2011, 17:39
Good to hear your fingers are still intact. The pucker factor runs quite high with your first reloads. Enjoy your new hobby and machinery.

U guys gonna beat Joja on Saturday? I wouldn't mind seeing the 'dawgs confidence get hammered early and often...we got em in October. Go Vols!

GioaJack
08-28-2011, 17:39
It just amazes me that some of you people still haven't figured out what ex-wives are for. It's a wonder that civilization has survived for as long as it has.

Jack

xXGearheadXx
08-28-2011, 17:48
It just amazes me that some of you people still haven't figured out what ex-wives are for. It's a wonder that civilization has survived for as long as it has.

Jack

Not sure i get this one....care to elaborate?

RustyFN
08-28-2011, 17:57

X-wives are more expendable that your fingers or eyes. I don't know if putting a gun in the X's hands while standing that close is a good idea.

GioaJack
08-28-2011, 17:59

Kind of a forum inside joke. Some of the less scrupulous members of the forum have been divorced numerous times and use their ex-wives to test fire any rounds that might be of a questionable nature.

Hang around a while, you'll learn which ones should be avoided at all costs.

You're doing fine so far, just take your time to learn and stay away from nuclear loads until you get further along. Good luck.

Jack

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 18:02
As to the point of aim being higher, heavier bullets and slower bullets hit higher. I don't know what max is with AA2 and a 115, but as you approach it, your velocity will increase and you POI should lower a bit.

Also, since you were probably a bit distracted by the natural apprehension of firing your first reloads, you could have been flinching a bit.

As for OAL, I load XTP's in my G17 and LC9 at 1.135 becuase they will fit in my gun. I like to load as long as possible. There is nothing wrong with using Hornady's recommended OAL, but loading longer will lower pressure and slightly lower velocity for a given powder charge. You can stick with the OAL you are using if you subscribe to the KISS principal and try loading longer as you get more comfortable with the reloading process.

Also, all of my Glocks, regardless of caliber, hit higher than POAim.

xXGearheadXx
08-28-2011, 18:04
Gotcha...got a problem though. When you're 4 months in with wife #1 what do you do? or should i start a separate thread for this question? :supergrin:

cowboy1964
08-28-2011, 18:04
Yeah 1.05 seems crazy short but if that's what they say...

WiskyT
08-28-2011, 18:05
Yeah 1.05 seems crazy short. I load to around 1.15.

It isn't really though as Hornady recommends around that length.

GioaJack
08-28-2011, 18:21
Gotcha...got a problem though. When you're 4 months in with wife #1 what do you do? or should i start a separate thread for this question? :supergrin:

Enjoy it while ya can young'un... when you suddenly realize you have an ex-wife in every state and all of the U.S. Territories you'll know you've been spending too much time loading.

Jack

Zombie Steve
08-28-2011, 18:23
Curious thing though, what's the relationship between accuracy and distance between the bullet and rifling? Is closer more accurate or is further?

You'll see benchrest guys push themselves to the point of aneurysms fretting over this. As long as you aren't running into the lands don't worry about it for pistol. Theoretically, it could make a difference, but that would likely change from one gun to the next. At 25 yards, it just won't matter much... if at all.

jfrey
08-28-2011, 18:28
I like to run my XTP's out to around 1.085 to 1.090 depending on bullet weight. A little longer doesn't hurt in my guns.

BTW, only four months with wife #1, don't get in a hurry. Ex-wives are never cheap and will always disrupt your fun activities. Be sure all your guns are gifts or inherited so they don't wind up in the community property.

Hogpauls
08-28-2011, 19:08
U guys gonna beat Joja on Saturday? I wouldn't mind seeing the 'dawgs confidence get hammered early and often...we got em in October. Go Vols!

From what I hear they are predicting the Broncs to win which is not going down to well with the puppies. Personally it would be fun to see them have a real good year, but football is not real high on my list unless it's my son's team. I need to change that avatar to an ISU helmet now since my daughter is over there this year.

PCJim
08-28-2011, 20:51
As Jack looks in the mirror while shaving in the morning....

Some of the less scrupulous members of the forum have been divorced numerous times and use their ex-wives to test fire any rounds that might be of a questionable nature.

Jack

And, yes, bearded men do still shave.