Gilligan's Island bike generator [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gilligan's Island bike generator

emt1581
08-28-2011, 17:20
Anyone remember that? They rigged a bamboo bike up to a battery/radio or something like that. I'm guessing most S&Pers wouldn't be able to pedal for more than a few minutes without keeling over. But for those that can...is there any way to rig such a thing? Basically looking to turn human power into electrical power.

I'm thinking a bike, few belts, motor, and some batteries would be a decent start. Those with kids could let them pedal, run on a hamster wheel, etc. to burn energy and power their devices...two birds with one stone there.

They do have quite a few dynamo products out now so doing something on a larger scale doesn't seem unrealistic IMHO.

What are your thoughts? Anyone tried it? Anyone have something that works well for them that turns their energy into electricity?

Thanks

-Emt1581

j-glock22
08-28-2011, 17:29
Interesting concept especially with a multi-speed bike that could get a generator wheel cranking.

jdavionic
08-28-2011, 17:34
If you're that desparate for electricity, I would question whether the expended calories required would be worth it.

emt1581
08-28-2011, 17:37
If you're that desparate for electricity, I would question whether the expended calories required would be worth it.

I'm looking at it more from the standpoint of needing a certain device's service but not needing to exert a ton of energy to gain the said service.

Another way to look at it would be gaining something other than staying in shape for those that usually exercise for 45min.-1.5hrs. anyway.

It's all about harnessing what might be easy or convenient/beneficial for us to exert IMHO.

-Emt1581

jdavionic
08-28-2011, 17:47
I'm looking at it more from the standpoint of needing a certain device's service but not needing to exert a ton of energy to gain the said service.

Another way to look at it would be gaining something other than staying in shape for those that usually exercise for 45min.-1.5hrs. anyway.

It's all about harnessing what might be easy or convenient/beneficial for us to exert IMHO.

-Emt1581

I just look at it from the perspective that if power is out all over, what can be gained by charging your cell phone, etc? I have a radio with a hand crank, which I'd recommend for others.

Not trying to poo all over the suggestion...just raising the point that in a bad situation, your calories vs. calories burned needs to be considered.

DoctaGlockta
08-28-2011, 18:01
Check out this site

http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen.html

And the guy doing his laundry....sort of

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s3iWGhlo5iI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="345" width="420"></iframe>

PBCounty
08-28-2011, 18:24
I do believe the DOD had a fleet of them in various shelters. I think they were two-man bikes. If they had 'em in the 50's....it could be done today.

emt1581
08-28-2011, 18:32
Here we go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BICYCLE-GENERATOR-300-WATT-ALTERNATIVE-ENERGY-DIY-KIT-/160497196914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255e60df72

I'm not sure what a blocking diode is but it says the setup can charge a 12v battery which would be the goal here...well possibly a few 12v batteries.

I'm thinking I could do it cheaper though....much cheaper.

The main question I have is how much resistance would be felt and how long it would take and at what speed/pace to charge a half-way drained 12v deep cycle battery??

-Emt1581

Sam Spade
08-28-2011, 18:53
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MIL2132-1.html

emt1581
08-28-2011, 19:21

Seems kinda cool but it doesn't look like it could charge a 12v battery from the specs.

Plus no one has any for sale. Seems like something that US importers got a small supply of and they were instantly snatched up.

-Emt1581

ravenkeeper98
08-28-2011, 19:27
Contact Sheriff Joe Arpaio, he has the female prisoners use a pedal bike to generate power if they want to watch TV

cowboy1964
08-28-2011, 19:31

Gotta burn off those multi-thousand calorie MREs somehow....

jdavionic
08-28-2011, 19:44
Gotta burn off those multi-thousand calorie MREs somehow....

I thought that's why you brought Mary Ann to Gilligan's Island???

dcc12
08-28-2011, 19:45
I remember seeing one of these on and old TV show about the black sheep squadren in WWII was being used by a spotter on a island to operate his radio.

R_W
08-28-2011, 20:09
Cheaperthandirt has a chinese surplus one that was used to power a radio in the day.

I HAD a good heavy solid cast iron flywheel exercise bike in storage for just such a project, but the wife gave it away to a charity garage sale GRRRR. My plan was to rig is as a belt drive to the wheat grinder, a barrel tumbler washing machine, a grinding wheel, drill press, etc. You can find them on youtube or the web.

Look at the math, humans can't expend too many watts of power for too long. If you are Lance Armstrong it would be worth making a genny. Otherwise, find another way. You lose too much in transition. Yes, you can say you could pedal it while watching TV but will you really be watching TV?

barstoolguru
08-28-2011, 21:05
One can be made out of an alternator from a car. an alternator puts out a/c volts and coverts it to d/c volts for a car to use <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

KaTooM
08-28-2011, 21:08
If Maryann is riding it, count me in!

Angel
08-28-2011, 21:40
About 15 years ago I bought a british ww2 back pack that unfolds into a bicycle looking generator. It was for remote units to charge their radio battery. Unlike the "cheaper than dirt" one this has a seat and back support with the generator unit down with pedals. It looks like a gym unit. It probably weighs 30 or 40 pounds and came with an illustrated instruction manual and cables. I used to have it set up in my office. Seemed to pedal with little effort. I don't know anything about electricity so it is all greek to me. I keep the manual in my field desk which is put away but if there is still interest tomorrow I will look for it and post scans.
angel

TangoFoxtrot
08-29-2011, 02:38
Calories burnt vs electrical output issues.

DoctaGlockta
08-29-2011, 06:25
If Maryann is riding it, count me in!

I would rather ride MA than the bike.

emt1581
08-29-2011, 15:56
About 15 years ago I bought a british ww2 back pack that unfolds into a bicycle looking generator. It was for remote units to charge their radio battery. Unlike the "cheaper than dirt" one this has a seat and back support with the generator unit down with pedals. It looks like a gym unit. It probably weighs 30 or 40 pounds and came with an illustrated instruction manual and cables. I used to have it set up in my office. Seemed to pedal with little effort. I don't know anything about electricity so it is all greek to me. I keep the manual in my field desk which is put away but if there is still interest tomorrow I will look for it and post scans.
angel

It's tomorrow and I'm still interested. :supergrin:

-Emt1581

Angel
08-29-2011, 17:26
Alright. I found the user handbook and scanned it into a pdf file but it was too big so I broke it up into 11 jpeg files. Sorry I am working on uploading them.

bdcochran
08-29-2011, 19:04
Pedalpowergenerator.com.

emt1581
08-29-2011, 19:06
Pedalpowergenerator.com.

Woah thanks!

-Emt1581

DustyJacket
08-29-2011, 19:09
Contact Sheriff Joe Arpaio, he has the female prisoners use a pedal bike to generate power if they want to watch TV

I was going to tout that idea - great for staying in shape. No more couch potato.

emt1581
08-29-2011, 19:10
I was going to tout that idea - great for staying in shape. No more couch potato.

What they should do is get a gym going and hook all the bikes up to ol' sparky...

-Emt1581

Angel
08-29-2011, 19:32
Got the first two out of 11 up. Can I post more pics if my upload box is full? Can I just send the pdf to someone to post? Sorry I am not good at this.

Angel
08-30-2011, 17:25
let me try again. Here is the link to my photobucket.

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m498/AngelMPerez/

Would appreciate it if someone could explain what types of batteries I can charge with it.

R_W
08-30-2011, 19:27
60 watts, 15 volts. Add a solar charge controller and you could charge any 12v battery...

Eventually

emt1581
08-30-2011, 19:44
let me try again. Here is the link to my photobucket.

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m498/AngelMPerez/

Would appreciate it if someone could explain what types of batteries I can charge with it.

I'd help you out but I'm no good at loading picks and the like. Hopefully someone else will be kind enough to help.

-Emt1581

Commander_Zero
08-31-2011, 10:50
The generators people keep mentioning are the old military GN-58 type of man-portable generators. These things were for running radios in remote (think Pacific islands) locations. They were designed to put out several different voltages for the specific radios in use at the time...however those different voltages arent usually as conducive as they could be to what we would be wanting them for. However, if you know your way around a soldering gun and have some electronics experience you can modify them to whatever voltage you want...as long as you have the strength to crank the handles. The handles were designed to be hand cranked although they can be modified to work as bicycle-style pedals. The generator units themselves are often founf on ebay and it wouldnt be hard to fab up a frame from tube steel and a drivechain or shaft from a bicycle.

There are plenty of aftermarket/DIY bicycle-generators out there. If you think about it, it wouldnt be that hard to just convert them to wind turbine, water turbine or other power source.