What sidearm is LASD carrying?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What sidearm is LASD carrying??

Line Rider
08-28-2011, 17:25
Recently I've seen serveral ads on gunbroker and gunsamerica with Beretta 92F's for sale that are LA Sheriff's Department trade ins. The prices have been about $350 to $370.

What has LASD gone to if they've retired the Beretta 92F? :crying:

Chico Bill
08-28-2011, 22:35
LASD has not retired the 92FS but it's slowly on its way out. The department is now issuing the S&W M&P9 to new recruits but there are no plans to retrofit existing deputies firearms. So if we trained with a Beretta, that's what will stay issued to us. Of course, There are still several optional pistols approved including 9mm Sigs HK P2000 and the M&P and .45 cal HK UPS's, S&W 3rd Gen, Sig P220, and Beretta 8045.

There may be some trade-in LASD Berettas from excess inventory but the only mark you may see is a stamped "6" on the trigger guard, indicating internal part replacement upgrade. LASD doesn't serial or otherwise mark their issue pistols (They used to mark the old S&W Model 15 revolvers).

lawman800
08-28-2011, 22:57
Saw a lot of deputies at CCB still wearing the 92FS, but the straight back strap lips like it's the Vertec model with a tac light attached.

CAcop
08-28-2011, 23:15
Chico what is up with the assortment of firearms authorized there? Usually a PD does DAO, TDA, Decocker, decocking safety, etc only vs. a little bit from here and there. Completely different operating systems yet specific about each one.

lawman800
08-28-2011, 23:23
From what I've seen, it's getting to the point where it's everything but the glock.

Which is different since I expected LASD to go glock before LAPD, which is not the case.

Both are the biggest in socal with respect to city and county and very regulated with their equipment. It's kind of a mash up. SD allows nylon gear while PD allows glock. SD allowed crimson trace but no flashlight, then PD allows the M3 light, no laser. Go figure... Glad we are a bit more relaxed in the small places.

At one time, it was very similar, both allowed beretta and smith da/sa autos and j-frames for backup, and that was pretty much it.

SAR
08-28-2011, 23:31
The root cause of all the variations out there now is Department size and economics. Nothing else.

Back when we all carried revolvers, the Department bought revolvers for every new recruit and issued them. When the Beretta 92 became the new LAPD issue, they bought enough to outfit each new recruit, but no way were they going to buy 8,000 more to equip all the veterans. So they made the Beretta optional for veteran officers. So now, there were revolvers and Berettas out there. When the LAPD authorized the .45 S&W, no way were they going to buy 9,000 more to equip all the officers who trained under Berettas and revolvers, so then they had revolvers, Berettas, and S&W semi-autos out there. When LAPD went to Glock, no way were they going to buy Glocks for everyone, so you get the picture, now we have revolvers, Berettas, S&Ws, Glocks, and now 1911s out there.... I am sure if the Department could enforce a single weapon policy, they would. But they just don't feel like buying 10,000 new weapons, and sending all the officers to a transition school.

lawman800
08-28-2011, 23:41
Hey, lieutenant, let me pick your brain on exactly what is contained in the transition school. My LAPD buddy mentioned he had to take the 45 school, then the glock school. I know it involves shooting a lot of rounds in the course and that's a great thing, but is there a classroom component with anything technical pertaining to either the 45 round our the glock weapons platform?

If we transition weapons or caliber, we just bring it to the armorer to have it inspected to make sure it's in safe condition to use, then shoot the appropriate course (duty, off-duty, backup, or alternate duty) to get the gun listed on our qual card for authorized carry.

SAR
08-28-2011, 23:50
Hey, lieutenant, let me pick your brain on exactly what is contained in the transition school. My LAPD buddy mentioned he had to take the 45 school, then the glock school. I know it involves shooting a lot of rounds in the course and that's a great thing, but is there a classroom component with anything technical pertaining to either the 45 round our the glock weapons platform?

If we transition weapons or caliber, we just bring it to the armorer to have it inspected to make sure it's in safe condition to use, then shoot the appropriate course (duty, off-duty, backup, or alternate duty) to get the gun listed on our qual card for authorized carry.

Lieutenant? lol.... are you trying to get me fragged? :rofl:

Transition schools typically involve three days. The first day is mostly class. They go over range and gun safety. They inspect your weapon for illegal mods, etc. They go over weapons break down. They may do some dry firing. Then they usually do a little shooting to get your gun patterned and sighted in.

The next day is usually a full day of shooting. They go through tactical drills, live fire exercises and basically run you through all sorts of shooting scenarios.

The final day usually represents testing day. You have to qualify with the new weapon using both range loads and duty loads. For Glocks and .45s, I think it was two quals with range loads and one qual with duty loads. Finally there is a written test, and YES, I have seen officers fail the entire course by missing one question on the written test and get sent home. In fact, every transition class I have gone to has had someone wash out, usually more than one. One guy got booted for being five minutes late. One dufous got one word wrong on the gun safety rules, and finally, a lot of guys don't qualify.

Trigger Finger
08-28-2011, 23:53
I'm just glad that LAPD has what it does! I was issued a S&W Model 15, 38 Special and there was allot of traditionalists who thought we would never deviate from that. My original partner just about had a heart attack when we first went to HP rounds. The Beretta 92 was a big improvement and going to 45 ACP Smiths was a god send. Prior to that only very specialized units could carry a 45.

I was in one of the first 45 transition schools and it is much like SAR said but we did not have a written test. I mainly remember the class room first day and qualifying three times on the last day. This was just several months after North Hollywood and I think there was a push to get officers on the streets with 45 pistols and Remington slug guns for which I also went through a three day course. One of the worst parts was demonstrating the several failure drills with three instructors watching!!

We can thank Bratton for the Glock.

SAR
08-29-2011, 00:00
We can thank Bratton for the Glock.

I once drove Bratton to an OIS scene from his residence. During our trip, the subject of Glocks came up, and he admitted he ordered the transition, because that's what he was familiar with and because he could not qualify with a Beretta.

lawman800
08-29-2011, 00:37
Good things can come out of the brass not being able to shoot.

Patchman
08-29-2011, 06:28
Bratton has a long history with Glocks. I'm not certain about Boston PD and Glocks but NYC Tansit PD transitioned to Glocks when he was their Chief and I believe the NYPD transitioned to semis (with Glocks as the most popular) when he was their Commissioner.

Chico Bill
08-29-2011, 12:45
LASD has approved weapon lights since fall 2007. We can use approved CTC lasers or light/laser combos.

lawman800
08-29-2011, 13:02
Yeah, saw that at CCB. Did you guys approve the M6 or the TLR-2?

Chico Bill
08-29-2011, 13:26
Both are approved...TLR2 is more popular but CTC's are the most popular laser system and the X300 is the most popular light from what I've seen.

lawman800
08-29-2011, 13:57
My buddy loved his ctc on his beretta. He tried forever to get me to lateral based on that selling point that he gets to carry the ctc... While I was carrying the M6 back in 03....