870 Bullpup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 Bullpup

mdfd
08-28-2011, 18:42
Did a quick search and did not find anything on this. When I inquired about the kit for a Mossberg 590, they said they were looking into it...
Any thoughts about a 12g bullpup kit for our tried and true platforms?

http://www.bullpupunlimited.com/

http://www.bullpupunlimited.com/images/both-guns%20cut.jpg

Victoriagotagun
08-28-2011, 20:06
I would pass because it requires tools to disassemble and the "pre-order" price is just $279 and regular is going to be $359. :upeyes: Most things that are still in the pre-order stage usually never make it to market anyways.

aippi
08-28-2011, 22:34
You used the words "Tried and True". Very appropriate. And why has it been so True for over 60 years? Becuase it is a solid basic weapon. Maybe they can take some of the components and use them in some type of design like you are asking about, but it will not be an 870.

These bull pup designs come and go and have for years. If they were of any real value they would also have been around from the day they were released until today just like the 870 has. The one so many guys went nuts for will come and go just like the rest.

Bullman
08-29-2011, 04:19
I had a Muzzlelite bullpup kit for an 870 once, it was a giant piece of crap. The Mossberg Bullpup was okay, but it could have stood a few much needed improvements as well. Right now I am waiting to see how the Keltec does before I get too terrible excited, which is hard because I love the concept.

These kits look a little bit better than the Muzzlelite kit I bought 20 years ago. If they are able to hold up and function, and if they make one for a Mossberg 590 I might be interested....... I guess I could go out a buy an 870 to for that matter.

mdfd
08-29-2011, 09:19
The issue with the KT KSG is like alot of their products, the concept and even the deisgn is quite innovative but the execution and materials are inferior. I have put relativey more $$ and effort to get my Sub2k and PLR-16 to a point where I am confident in their reliability and performance. Certainly more $$$ and effort to make right than any other guns I have owned. Why do I do it? Because their deisgns are innovative and with the right amount of aftermarket upgrades, willingness and ability, and fluff & buff, they can be great guns...With the KSG, the entire shotgun needs to be proven. With these kits, you are limiting the variables somewhat with using the 870 (and hopefully) the 590 which are proven guns.
The only reason for me to be interested in such a thing is that I believe the compactness offered by a bullpup deign in general can be convenient to store, transport, and (if designed properly) handle to shoot...I am hopefully optimistic...

planner
08-29-2011, 13:53
If it was made for the 1100 with an extended mag, I'd buy one just to try it.

vafish
08-29-2011, 18:09
One of the big problems with those bullpup designs is getting a decent trigger pull.

mdfd
08-29-2011, 18:25
One of the big problems with those bullpup designs is getting a decent trigger pull.

True, however alot of the bullpup triggers have been vastly improved by design (since the early ones) as well as the availablility of the aftermarket. My MSAR STG556 E4 is a dream to shoot with a very simple and reversible trigger mod...
I would imagine this can be similarly overcome for the shotgun to get a decent enough trigger action...

method
08-29-2011, 22:52
If it's anything like a Muzzlelite kit, don't even think about it. Mine broke after few rounds, and just sucked all around. Actually, don't think about it at all. Like others have said, a good trigger pull is damn near impossible, and shotguns deserve good triggers too.

David Armstrong
08-30-2011, 12:38
I think that if everyone who was wanting to modify their shotgun would take the same money and invest in ammo and learning to shoot the gun as it is they would be better off (no offense to aippi!).

method
08-30-2011, 22:16
I think that if everyone who was wanting to modify their shotgun would take the same money and invest in ammo and learning to shoot the gun as it is they would be better off (no offense to aippi!).

No doubt, but you know how lots of gun guys like to tinker. I just like to do something different with some of my guns, others are left entirely alone. I was also a 21 year old idiot when I bull pupped my 870 15 years ago, but it didn't take me long to figure out it was a waste of money.

vafish
08-31-2011, 06:12
True, however alot of the bullpup triggers have been vastly improved by design (since the early ones) as well as the availablility of the aftermarket. My MSAR STG556 E4 is a dream to shoot with a very simple and reversible trigger mod...
I would imagine this can be similarly overcome for the shotgun to get a decent enough trigger action...

huge difference between a gun designed as a bullpup and converting a standard firearm to bullpup configuration.

You can see the bulge at the rear of the stock where the existing trigger is. So there has to be a bar and compound linkage to get back there and pull the existing trigger. There also has to be springs to send all that stuff back in place.

That trigger pull is going to be 15 lbs or its going to be real long like a double action revolver.