550b Priming? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 550b Priming?

ALBin517
08-29-2011, 06:16
I just reloaded my second ever (small) batch of 9mm.

My biggest problem so far is priming.

Maybe every four or five rounds, the brass in Station One will fail to prime.

The bottom of the brass seemingly stays in the correct location but the top of the brass leans outward as I push out.

unclebob
08-29-2011, 06:45
First make sure your shell plate is adjusted right. Sounds like it might be to loose.

DoctaGlockta
08-29-2011, 07:19
I just reloaded my second ever (small) batch of 9mm.

My biggest problem so far is priming.

Maybe every four or five rounds, the brass in Station One will fail to prime.

The bottom of the brass seemingly stays in the correct location but the top of the brass leans outward as I push out.

You sure you don't have an LNL-AP?

Hammerdown77
08-29-2011, 08:36
You may have some crimped primer pocket cases in the mix. I get those in the range brass I pick up. Compare the primer pockets of the ones that won't prime, to the ones that will. Is there a recessed ridge around the mouth of the primer cup in the ones giving you trouble?

If so, you won't be able to reload those without swaging the primer pockets. Hardly worth the trouble on 9mm brass, unless you have a lot of crimped cases. Throw those out, otherwise.

NW-Warlord
08-29-2011, 08:44
Is your shell retainer (paper clip looking thing) adjusted right. I keep mine snug against the brass. Make sure it doesnt bind when rotating.

fredj338
08-29-2011, 09:13
Is your shell retainer (paper clip looking thing) adjusted right. I keep mine snug against the brass. Make sure it doesnt bind when rotating.

^^^This^^^ Also as UB said, make sure the shell plate is snug. If the case is moving, it's like the retaining clip.

Colorado4Wheel
08-29-2011, 12:22
1) Double check every part of the caliber conversion. Tips on tube, slider, etc. Every part.
2) Make sure you don't have crimped primers.
3) Make sure the parts are adjusted properly.
4) Read the Manual again. Check every part as you read the manual. Not being flip but it's important to read the entire manual and check the items as you go.
5) Call Dillon while in front of machine.

ron59
08-29-2011, 12:32
s&b is notorious to prime. wcc also.

ALBin517
08-29-2011, 13:06
Thanks guys

Sounds like it could be either the plate or the clip.

The clip was not getting over left when I'd put a case in. It was holding up on something so I loosened it.

Also, I had an experienced 550b guy "kick the tires" before I started reloading and he said the plate was looser than his. He didn't figure it would be a problem because it clicked through and cycled fine but maybe it had more effects than he thought.

Colorado4Wheel
08-29-2011, 13:09
You want to adjust the plate till it won't turn (with the set screw tight) and loosen it a little at a time till it moves freely. Any looser then that is bad. Use just a drop of oil on the interface as well.

Hammerdown77
08-29-2011, 13:13
You want to adjust the plate till it won't turn (with the set screw tight) and loosen it a little at a time till it moves freely. Any looser then that is bad. Use just a drop of oil on the interface as well.

Better than oil, in my experience, is a little Tetra Grease (or anything similar). Stays put.

fredj338
08-29-2011, 13:13

Yep, but I don't like oil on the plate anywhere so I use a dry graphite or moly spray.

cyberiad
08-29-2011, 13:32
A loose shell plate is definitely a problem. I tightened mine according to what I believed were the instructions in the manual but kept experiencing intermittent priming "issues."

I tightened the shell plate and now everything is as it should be. With many cases the priming stroke is so smooth it sometimes feels as if it takes almost no effort to prime now (I've been loading nothing but 38 special the past several months). Just that single change had a very large effect.

ALBin517
08-29-2011, 16:56
I just tightened the shell bolt a half turn, adjusted the clip and primed 33 rounds without a hickup.

Thanks again.

Colorado4Wheel
08-29-2011, 17:57
I use a graphite lube/grease. But I have used oil. One drop will not migrate very far.

ron59
08-30-2011, 14:21
I use a graphite lube/grease. But I have used oil. One drop will not migrate very far.

I actually use wheel bearing grease, the type we used in the Harley dealership. All I do is coat the ball in a very light amount. I go in there seldom, when I do I don't see it all "gunked up" or anything. Keeps the shellplate rotating nice and smooth.

Colorado4Wheel
08-30-2011, 14:59
You sure you don't have an LNL-AP?

Nope, he fixed it with proper setup. LnL problems involve epoxy, old primers stuck to the bottom of the punch, pulling your hair out. Stuff like that.

ron59
08-30-2011, 15:44
Nope, he fixed it with proper setup. LnL problems involve epoxy, old primers stuck to the bottom of the punch, pulling your hair out. Stuff like that.

Don't leave out:

Selling it back to the manufacturer cuz they can't get it fixed
- and -
starting a 15 page thread to convince yourself that it's okay to buy one regardless of what you read