reloading 201 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : reloading 201

jerzeydevil77
08-29-2011, 08:20
I'm considering a Dillon 650 to start reloading, again. I haven't reloaded in about 12 years. My question is, what size dies should I buy with my initial set up. I plan to reload 9mm, 40 S&W, & 45ACP. I want to get the most bang for my buck, so considering lead, brass, primers etc. which cal. would you recommend starting with? Also what is a good, clean powder to use? Reasonably priced place to buy brass, primers, bullets etc.? Sorry for the remedial questions but after being out of the loop for so long, much has been forgotten. Back when I used to reload I had a 550B, but always wanted the big brother, I think it's time to take the plunge. Thanks in advance.

freakshow10mm
08-29-2011, 08:43
All three work well with lead. .45 is the most expensive and will offer the most savings per round. Grafs or Powder Valley for components. Don't buy new brass, buy fired brass. Missouri Bullet Company for lead.

Three-Five-Seven
08-29-2011, 09:28
I, too, would start with the .45. I've been using WST recently and am very pleased with it in medium power factor, lead loads.

unclebob
08-29-2011, 10:00
What one do you shoot the most? Then the next then the next. If you shoot them all the same 45, 40, 9mm. Range pickup is the cheapest for brass. But if you have to buy once fired brass is cheaper.

Boxerglocker
08-29-2011, 12:55
Unless your loading at least 2000K a month in any one of the three calibers you have intended to load a 550B might be a better option. That is of course the whole "best bang for your buck" is really not too much of a issue and your willing to be patient in recovering your intial tooling cost.

Colorado4Wheel
08-29-2011, 13:07
I'm considering a Dillon 650 to start reloading, again. I haven't reloaded in about 12 years. My question is, what size dies should I buy with my initial set up. I plan to reload 9mm, 40 S&W, & 45ACP. I want to get the most bang for my buck, so considering lead, brass, primers etc. which cal. would you recommend starting with? Also what is a good, clean powder to use? Reasonably priced place to buy brass, primers, bullets etc.? Sorry for the remedial questions but after being out of the loop for so long, much has been forgotten. Back when I used to reload I had a 550B, but always wanted the big brother, I think it's time to take the plunge. Thanks in advance.

Welcome back. I would start with the one you shoot the most. I don't think primers from Win, CCI and Federal mater much unless you shoot a tuned gun prone to light strikes. Lead is nice if you gun likes it. Might want to start with jacketed like Precision Delta just to get started. If you don't have brass just buy a batch of once fired from a website.

fredj338
08-29-2011, 13:11
I agree w/ boxer, unless you just want a 650, the 550 is all the progressive most shooters will ever need. Shooting 500 a week can be done in as little as 90min on the 550.
Dies, they all work on the Dillon, but I like the Dillon dies on a Dillon press.
Powder for all three, there are several choices, depends on the vel level you want. You can use a pwoder like WST or W231 for all but not achieve top vel safely in the 9 or 40. Powders for top vel in the 9 & 40 will be borderline too slow for the 45acp IMO. Something like WSF or Unique will do for all three, but not the best for light target loads in the 45acp.
Brass, once fired is the way to buy it, Starline direct for new. Bullets, Precision Delta for FMJ & there are several manuf for lead. Do a google search for Missouri or TwoAlpha. Powder Valley or Graf's for bulk powder & primers.

Colorado4Wheel
08-29-2011, 18:02
He owned a 550. He wants a 650. As long as he is planning a casefeeder I say "more power to you, get what you want".