First time deer hunting. Advice? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First time deer hunting. Advice?

IndianaMatt
08-29-2011, 12:07
What advice would you give to a newbie who's observed, but never actually done the deer hunting himself?

I'll be going this November in Wisconsin. Any words of wisdom or philosophy for my first time out?

K1500
08-29-2011, 13:47
Bring something warm to sit on (foam pad). Bring good warm gloves and a good warm hat. Bring rubber gloves and an illustrated field dressing guide with you. Get out of the truck and off the road (that's not hunting). Have fun and don't be dissapointed if you don't get/see a deer. It is a great sport when done right.

IndianaMatt
08-29-2011, 16:21
Bring something warm to sit on (foam pad). Bring good warm gloves and a good warm hat. Bring rubber gloves and an illustrated field dressing guide with you. Get out of the truck and off the road (that's not hunting). Have fun and don't be dissapointed if you don't get/see a deer. It is a great sport when done right.

Wise words. I'm actually almost going with the expectation that I won't bag anything my first time out, and if I do that'll just be a big bonus to getting to march around the woods with my rifle.

Esox357
08-29-2011, 17:36
Bring a couple of PBJ's sandwiches, protein bars, gatorade or water, and sit the entire day. Do not get up and leave for lunch stay in the field all day especially the first day of hunting. Make sure your rifle is sighted in before going. Use scent spray and the wind to mask your human odor. You will be suprised you will most likely connect on something? Good Luck. Be Safe.

Harper
08-31-2011, 11:21
Bring something to haul the deer out of the woods with. I often hunt pretty far from the truck and dragging deer through the woods can be very intense physical exertion.

IndianaMatt
08-31-2011, 20:14
Bring something to haul the deer out of the woods with. I often hunt pretty far from the truck and dragging deer through the woods can be very intense physical exertion.

Like what? Some sort of wheelbarrow?

K1500
09-01-2011, 08:08
Para-Cord. Tie it to the rack/head and fashion a T handle at the other end with a smooth branch and drag. If you want to get fancy (or if you are hunting out of a tree stand), you can bring a harness or strap and tie the drag to your safety harness. I frequently bring a pre-sewed loop of nylon you can wear across the chest in a manner similar to a messenger bag. Tie your drag to this and it takes the burden off your hands and arms. I typically hunt in farmland, where access is fairly easy. I can usually drag the deer a short distance to the edge of the field and leave it while I go get the truck. It can give you a good cardio workout, wspecially if you have to go uphill.

You can get a game cart or sled, but you wouldn't want to bring it into the woods until after you get one. It would be a bit cumbersome and presumptuous to stroll through the woods with a wheelbarrow BEFORE you get a deer. Leave it in the truck and go get it if you really need it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
90%+ of the stuff out there you don't need. Good boots, warm and dry clothing, knife and rifle, and a small fanny pack or ruck with lunch and some simple survival and comfort gear is all you really need. I would also add a book such as the deer hunter’s bible, geared toward new hunters (the book is for before you go). Have fun.<o:p></o:p>

Glock30Eric
09-01-2011, 08:18
Get a pistol with you, I have read several stories that a hunter went out to hunt, got a deer, but another hunter approached to him and got him at gun-point to steal his deer. Remember this, we are in a really bad economy and people would do crazy stuff to survive.

Glock30Eric
09-01-2011, 08:33
Don't drink a coffee because you will be smelly with the coffee's odor emitting out from your skin.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Don't urine nearby your hunting area because that will scare the deer away from that area.<o:p></o:p>

Don’t walk in the path of deer’s trail because if deer will know if someone walked in his trail.

Deer aren’t dumnb. That is why deer hunting is so addictive.

Don't return to the same spot that you hunted because deer will remembers where you were at. If you change your hunting spot so often and that will confuses the deer; you'll have a better chance to hunt a deer. For clarifitication purpose, you could hunt in one spot for a whole day but in the next day, you’ll need to find a new hunting spot; maybe 150-250 feets away from your previous spot.

If you saw a deer, control your breathing and your heart beating. Don't move in when the deer is staring at you. Only move when the deer isn't staring at you and you are out of his sights. MOVE VERY SLOWLY AND DON'T MAKE ANY SOUNDS!!!

I am deaf and I hunted several deer. :)

Zombie Steve
09-02-2011, 16:34
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360916

:whistling:

Zombie Steve
09-02-2011, 16:39
Oh yeah. Bundle up, or it will be a short day. I agree with the comments about the boots, hat, et cetera, but they won't keep your extremities warm if your torso isn't warm. Core temp. Core temp. Core temp. Cotton kills. Get some poly base layers (expedition weight if you won't be moving around much, mids if you will be moving).

sourdough44
09-03-2011, 05:08
The 1st objective is to have a safe hunt. Of course gun handling & any tree stand climbing can be key areas. Starting out I would hook up with a guy or 2 who have been doing it a while. As mentioned by yourself don't feel you HAVE to bag something. You need POSITIVE I.D. of your target & what's beyond before you take the safety off. Be all the more careful in low light,but legal, minutes.

If you don't have connections it can be as simple as getting a plat book & going to a likely spot on public access land, preferably up Nor't & giving it a go. It was better hunting up there before the wolves ate most of the deer though.

The wind/breeze is very important while deer hunting. You can stink to high heavens as long as the breeze is drifting from you AWAY from the direction you expect deer to approach from. Some from of scent control is good though. I'd rather hunt in thick/moderate cover than overlook a wide field that deer aren't comfortable in anyway. In thick cover you'll have more comfortable deer, stopped or walking, & the shots a reasonable distance.

The quintessential WI deer rifle is a 308, though many others can be almost as perfect.:cool:

BK63
09-03-2011, 07:17
It's kind of tough going some place you have not been to before. The best thing to do is scout the area before the season. Find out where they run and then find a good place to sit. This is not as easy as it sounds and sometimes takes a lot of walking and looking for weeks or months sometimes. I hunted for several years before I actually found a place where they were running through from all directions and then sat there and finally started getting one every year. As for dragging them out, even a 100 pound doe is dead weight and is a lot of work to drag. I found one of the portable sleds are best. They make a rollup type that you can easily carry with you. It's like a big piece of heavy plastic. If you get one, you unroll it and the deer sits inside and you tie it up around him. Makes dragging it out 100% easier. Good luck.

eracer
09-03-2011, 07:26
Get a pistol with you, I have read several stories that a hunter went out to hunt, got a deer, but another hunter approached to him and got him at gun-point to steal his deer. Remember this, we are in a really bad economy and people would do crazy stuff to survive.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/eracer1111/lolcat/OMGWTF.jpg

vafish
09-03-2011, 20:03
Don't drink a coffee because you will be smelly with the coffee's odor emitting out from your skin.

Don't urine nearby your hunting area because that will scare the deer away from that area.

Don’t walk in the path of deer’s trail because if deer will know if someone walked in his trail.

Don't return to the same spot that you hunted because deer will remembers where you were at. If you change your hunting spot so often and that will confuses the deer; you'll have a better chance to hunt a deer. For clarifitication purpose, you could hunt in one spot for a whole day but in the next day, you’ll need to find a new hunting spot; maybe 150-250 feets away from your previous spot.

I break just about every one of those rule on my hunts (well I gave up coffee about 2 years ago) and have no trouble shooting deer.

I've shot deer out of a stand in the afternoon that someone else shot a deer out of that same morning. I've shot deer on consecutive days out of the same stand.

I've peed out of my tree stand and shot deer a short while later.

The trails I take into and out of my stands are the same trails the deer walk on.

Paying attention to the wind and being able to sit still are the two most important things in my opinion. Growing up hunting in northern Minnesota you can't sit still if you can't stay warm. But don't hike in wearing all your warm clothes. You just get all sweaty and then you get really cold when you sit down.

Jonesee
09-03-2011, 20:14

WTF???

You are already carrying a rifle!!!

Cite 2 news reports showing this really happened.

Harper
09-04-2011, 09:12
Like what? Some sort of wheelbarrow?

Game cart.

It's kind of tough going some place you have not been to before.

Yep, especially in the morning when it's pitch black outside. I only made that mistake once.

IndianaMatt
09-05-2011, 10:15

http://thenextbarstool.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/wtf.jpg

Glock30Eric
09-05-2011, 13:35
http://thenextbarstool.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/wtf.jpg

Ok I must wrote it in an bad English written.

My point is that, you won't have a rifle in your hands while you are hauling a deer. A criminal hunter will call his friends to trail and sneak around you to ambush you, to take your deer, your weapons, your cell phone away from you. It is common in a deep wood.

I will carry pistol with me all the time. I don't care if you think I'm crazy but I'm more well prepared than you. I can depends on my glock than your 911 call.

Keep in mind, hunting deer could means a deer bowing, or black-powder, knife, pistol, javelin hunting.

Be safe and be a smart hunter.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Jonesee
09-05-2011, 17:32
Glock30Eric:

Do you have a lot of knife and javelin deer hunting in the deep woods of Maryland?

Glock30Eric
09-06-2011, 09:56
Glock30Eric:

Do you have a lot of knife and javelin deer hunting in the deep woods of Maryland?

I don't know but I am sure someone is doing it in Maryland.

BierGut
09-09-2011, 07:17
Bring a couple of PBJ's sandwiches... Be Safe.

Best advice EVER!

Nothing tastes better after 3.5 hours sitting motionless in the cold!

vafish
09-09-2011, 12:36
Ok I must wrote it in an bad English written.

My point is that, you won't have a rifle in your hands while you are hauling a deer. A criminal hunter will call his friends to trail and sneak around you to ambush you, to take your deer, your weapons, your cell phone away from you. It is common in a deep wood.

I will carry pistol with me all the time. I don't care if you think I'm crazy but I'm more well prepared than you. I can depends on my glock than your 911 call.

Keep in mind, hunting deer could means a deer bowing, or black-powder, knife, pistol, javelin hunting.

Be safe and be a smart hunter.

You must be hunting in PG County.

(For those of you not familiar with Maryland, Prince Georges County is right up next to the South Eastern part of Washington DC and shares the same political and criminal (oops I repeated myself) elements.)

kimo
09-09-2011, 14:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiEUDzIrEQE

smokeross
09-09-2011, 14:41
This thread makes me wonder how I was ever able to bag so many deer. And I never had one stole from me either. Just under 100 deer by the time I was 29. Also Elk, bears, Dahl sheep, ect. You guys make it sound dangerous and nearly impossible. LOL. I must be lucky.

Jonesee
09-09-2011, 15:50
I think Glock30Eric has already shown what his level of experience hunting is when he commented on deer hunting by knife and javelin...

Glock30Eric
09-10-2011, 13:18
I think Glock30Eric has already shown what his level of experience hunting is when he commented on deer hunting by knife and javelin...

Go check out on YouTube and there are video of them on it. That's where I was amazed with how far people would do anything to hunt the deer.

Glock30Eric
09-10-2011, 13:23
You must be hunting in PG County.

(For those of you not familiar with Maryland, Prince Georges County is right up next to the South Eastern part of Washington DC and shares the same political and criminal (oops I repeated myself) elements.)

Nice wild guess. I live in St. Mary's. I don't have problems with that in So. Maryland since I hunt on my friend's property.

Anyway, I learned the advice from father-in-law, that he went to East Washington State for mule deer hunt. His friends were robbed at gun-points and took everything they had. They were alike to wolves, ambushed by surprise.

From now on he carry his Glock 21 all the time when he hunts in E. WA. He also sleep with it. I'm going to take his advice. It's up to you.

Jonesee
09-10-2011, 14:45
Glock30Eric,

After you spend a few decades hunting feel fee to offer real world advice. I think the OP wanted more than he could have watched on youtube.

BK63
09-11-2011, 08:05
The spot I used to go to was a mile walk in the woods. The first 100 yards was up a steep mountain then I followed a trail and then through some thick woods and down into a valley and then I would climb a ridge where I could sit and look down into that valley. Doing that at 4am in the pitch black dark I needed to go during the day and put those reflective trail tacks on trees to find my way. I also brought extra shirts because by the time I got in there carrying a gun and back pack for the day, I was soaked in sweat even though it was winter. Nothing worse than getting there and sitting in wet clothes. I would change in the dark and then be good for the day. Just figure out what you need to be prepared for the day. I can't stress one of those portable deer sleds enough. It made my drags out so much easier.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Original-Deer-Sleighr-Game-Sled.aspx?a=450188&pm2d=CSE-SPG-1-SHOPPING&utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse

ctaggart
09-11-2011, 23:50
Dress warmer than you think that you need to. Have enough air space in your boots that your feet aren't cramped. The air space will keep your feet warmer. Don't plan on hearing the deer approach ya. If nobody is pushing the deer around they'll usually move decisively and slowly. I've had them sneak up from behind me and stand directly under my stand if there is snow on the ground.

Do you know where to aim to hit the vitals? (I'm not talking down to you, some people don't.) From my experience of roughly 40 deer harvested I've learned that a solid shot through the shoulder (or both) will drop a deer as quickly as a brain shot. Actually, not only drop the deer, but flat out kill it instantly. I don't know if this is because of the massive amount of nerve damage but I can tell ya that I have NEVER had a deer not drop dead instantly from a solid shoulder hit. (.308 and 30-30 used)

A lung shot would probably be my second preference. A shot through both lungs with a high powered rifle will result in a kill with the deer typically not running more than 100 yards. Some guys will say to aim for the heart but it's deceptively low in the chest and you can risk missing it and hitting the brisket.

After the shot you've got to track. I suggest waiting 15 minutes to a half hour before you get down from your stand. Unless of course you can see the deer and it is undoubtably dead. This will give an animal that has been hit in a not so ideal area time to lay down and bleed out.

Once you get out of the stand and have determined that the deer needs to be tracked, start out where it was standing when you shot it. When you find the first spot of blood, the color will tell you where the deer was shot. A lung shot will result in foamy blood. Very dark red blood typically means kidneys, black blood, usually stomach and guts. Very thin blood may indicate that the deer was hit in the lower leg.

If you wait and get down and find blood that appears to be a gut shot, stop, mark the stop and leave. That deer probably won't die for another six hours at least. It needs time to lay down. Gut shot deer typically don't bleed externally. The bacteria from the stomach will get into the abdominal cavity and quickly make the deer sick. They'll usually head for nearby water sources in these cases.

If you find good blood then you need to mark the spot. Use a stick or something that stands out. Surveyor flagging tape is great for this. Continue following the blood and mark it periodically. The reason you're marking the blood trail is in case you lose it. If you lose the blood trail, simply go back to the last spot you marked and start again. Still can't find it? Start walking in a circle around the last spot of blood in an outward direction.

After you've found your deer it's time to gut. I won't explain that but I will suggest having a knife that isn't too large. Make sure it's sharp and of high quality. I use a Gerber Freeman and it's got a 2.5" blade and made of S30V steel. I simply can't find a better knife. It's awesome. A low quality steel blade will pretty much instantly dull after you cut through the sternum and will only frustrate you. Maybe if you have an experienced partner, they'll walk you through the gutting process. Everybody has their own style.

There's a lot that goes in to a successful hunt. Use your head and be safe. Whether you bag a deer or not, you'll have fun and you'll be amazed at all the critters you see.

HAVE FUN!