Question for the hive mind...best place in Tx to become a cop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for the hive mind...best place in Tx to become a cop?

JesseCuster
08-29-2011, 17:34
I ETS from the Army in April of next year. I will have over 3 years of military service and I want to go into law enforcement. Right now I'm considering which area to relocate to.

My wife has family in Port Lavaca, Tx, and she's wanting to be close to them. I really would prefer a department that has its own academy, and for a while I was considering Corpus Christi. After some research it appears that there is a generally negative opinion about CC and its police department, so I thought I'd throw it out there for the collective Cop Talk consciousness and get some input. Any suggestions, GTers?

Hack
08-29-2011, 18:57
We have a guy from Killeen who may pop up. There used to be quite the academy that they attended.

I would suggest also the BOP since I am a BOP officer. They have facilities down in Texas, several in fact. It is a good way to go if you want to go into any other federal jobs later on as well.

A6Gator
08-29-2011, 19:00
Don't know about CCPD, but Corpus Christi is a great place to live.

JesseCuster
08-29-2011, 19:19
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I should have clarified: the general state of living in the city is also very important. My wife will be looking for work there, so that's a factor too.

trdvet
08-29-2011, 20:55
Did some training with a couple of CCPD folks and they seemed alright. Truthfully only the largest and most well funded PDs will be able to put on their own academy. These places are also receiving a lot of applicants so the competition will be tougher. The vast majority of agencies require you to already have the state license to join. You can self sponsor yourself through an academy either full time (6 months) or part time (10 months) and you may very well use your GI Bill for tuition. Just keep your eyes and ears open for testing.

texan86
08-29-2011, 23:05
Look into the DFW area. Its a good area to live, and lots of job opportunity for the wife. Several of the agencies will put you through an academy, and the pay is pretty good. I would look for a city in the area north of Dallas.

Panzergrenadier1979
08-30-2011, 01:04
Truthfully? Go wherever you get hired.

Unless you're dealing with multiple job offers, don't turn down an LE position simply because you would prefer to live somewhere else.

Cochese
08-30-2011, 03:20
Look into the DFW area. Its a good area to live, and lots of job opportunity for the wife. Several of the agencies will put you through an academy, and the pay is pretty good. I would look for a city in the area north of Dallas.

+1.

Denton, McKinney, Lewisville, Plano, Frisco...

All really good departments.

Also, Grapevine, NRH, Arlington, Garland (kick ass), Irving, Grand Prarie, Richardson, etc.

Go check it out.

I should have never left! I'd be a sergeant by now and still having a good time. :crying:

Cav
08-30-2011, 06:53
I ETS from the Army in April of next year. I will have over 3 years of military service and I want to go into law enforcement. Right now I'm considering which area to relocate to.

My wife has family in Port Lavaca, Tx, and she's wanting to be close to them. I really would prefer a department that has its own academy, and for a while I was considering Corpus Christi. After some research it appears that there is a generally negative opinion about CC and its police department, so I thought I'd throw it out there for the collective Cop Talk consciousness and get some input. Any suggestions, GTers?

Thats an issue you will have to look into.

I have friends that work the Corpus area, its seasonal for what they do, and they say they are limited on what actions they take (limited on what they enforce and have to deal with a bit more crap at times).

Some places might want 4 years of Military service, or a 4 year degree. IMHO its best to decided where you want to live, then check out all the agencys in that area. Most places will be different and everyone has their opinion on whats better.

The Academy is a very small part in the scope of things. If the Academy means a lot, look at TXDPS. They have jobs all over the state, and their Academy is one of the better ones.

Killeen has its own academy, and is near Fort Hood if you like dealing with soldiers and thugs. Most agency's dont have their own academy. The FTO program is what should be important.

Places like San Antonio might be nice to ride with a partner in a two man unit...if you get a good partner, but it might be best to know Spanish too.

Austin and Plano pay well, but the standards can be higher (harder to get hired, easy to get fired).

Another thing to look at is the work hours/shift. 12/10/8 hour shifts will decided what days you might get off.

My work is based on time in service and we work 8 hour shifts. Tue/Wed or Wed/Thu might be you days off for a year or three. New guys do not get weekends off at my agency.

You have a lot to look into and decided.

I would rate the following;

Wife
Family
Hours/days off

Then decided what seems best for you.

texmex
08-30-2011, 14:43
Check out Texas Department of Public Safety. I heard that they will now guarantee your duty station before you start the academy. In the old days it wasn't that way and they would always send you as far from friends and family as possible. They have a very good academy. Lots of PT but that shouldn't be a problem for a soldier. Google earth their driving and shooting range on County Road 240 near Florence, Texas.

Broke Hoss
08-30-2011, 14:55
Maybe a little farther away from family than you're looking, but we're hiring.

http://www.abilenepolice.org/

TexasSchool Cop
08-31-2011, 07:51
Take a look at the San Antonio area. SAPD has their own academy and pays very well. The small cities to the north and northeast pay decently. DPS is also worth looking into.

JesseCuster
09-01-2011, 16:21
Thanks for all the help guys. Lot of food for thought. I am going to start calling around tomorrow.

trdvet
09-02-2011, 15:38
Check out Texas Department of Public Safety. Google earth their driving and shooting range on County Road 240 near Florence, Texas.

810 County Road 240, Florence TX

I thought it was quite the facility when I was there.

trifecta
09-03-2011, 10:38
Thanks for all the help guys. Lot of food for thought. I am going to start calling around tomorrow.

Much info is available online too. Some places the info is under the agency, some it may be under HR.

Cities operating under state civil service will give you 5 points for being military on the civil service test. Moves you up on the list for hire.

JesseCuster
09-03-2011, 12:10
Much info is available online too. Some places the info is under the agency, some it may be under HR.

Cities operating under state civil service will give you 5 points for being military on the civil service test. Moves you up on the list for hire.

Yes sir, I'm making a list of all potential places to apply, just wanted to hear some boots on ground opinions from folks who have worked there rather than the "Our academy is the best ever!" spiel from the PDs.