Cops who leave thier cruiser in thier driveway when they get off duty??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cops who leave thier cruiser in thier driveway when they get off duty???

mixflip
08-29-2011, 18:00
I see alot of cops in my town do this. I personally would not do it just because it tells the world way too much information.

My hunch is that the more seasoned cops park their cruisers inside the garage and dont want anyone knowing they are a cop when off duty while younger cops like to show off their new ride? (along with wearing 511 cargo pants off duty)

How do you guys feel about this?

msu_grad_121
08-29-2011, 18:18
I agree with you, I wouldn't want a fully marked or unmarked yet obvious cruiser in my driveway, but then again, I don't have a garage, so...

I actually got a little annoyed that the last Sgt who did a surprise hom visit did so in plain clothes, yet a fully marked car. I'm with you, I don't want everyone knowing my business, especially in the neighborhood I live in.

Ajon412
08-29-2011, 18:21
Sometimes you just don't have a choice. It all depends on where you live, personal preference, department policy, marked / unmarked, etc.. If your driveway is large enough, you MAY be able to "bury it" with your other vehicles (if you have that option) and the garage is another choice. I know of some who, with the permission of their local Police Chief, leave their dept. vehicle at the local PD and swap out it out with their POV. Others use the DPW facilities / Fire House, etc. It all depends...

collim1
08-29-2011, 18:41
Sometimes you just don't have a choice. It all depends on where you live, personal preference, department policy, marked / unmarked, etc.. If your driveway is large enough, you MAY be able to "bury it" with your other vehicles (if you have that option) and the garage is another choice. I know of some who, with the permission of their local Police Chief, leave their dept. vehicle at the local PD and swap out it out with their POV. Others use the DPW facilities / Fire House, etc. It all depends...

I am in this group, we get in service from the house. I dont have a garage, so my car is parked on the street. I do try to park on the street so that it is not obvious exactly which house is mine.

I carry in my house, and keep a 870 pump behind the bedroom door. I also live in a small neighborhood with 7 of my co-workers as neighbors. We keep a close eye on each others place.

Not to mention it is not uncommon for a sheriff to require that each deputy, reserve, court security, etc... take a marked unit home. It gives the appearance of a stronger police presence in the jurisdiction. This is the way my sheriff does it.

Trigger Finger
08-29-2011, 18:57
We were required to keep our take home vehicle in a garage. Thus it was called a home garage permit. Much of this was caused from vandalism and burglaries of police vehicles, both marked and plain vehicles, in attempts to get weapons and radios!
If we could not keep it secure in a garage we had to dispersal park them at the nearest PD or Fire Station!

Ajon412
08-29-2011, 18:58
I am in this group, we get in service from the house. I dont have a garage, so my car is parked on the street. I do try to park on the street so that it is not obvious exactly which house is mine.

I carry in my house, and keep a 870 pump behind the bedroom door. I also live in a small neighborhood with 7 of my co-workers as neighbors. We keep a close eye on each others place.

Not to mention it is not uncommon for a sheriff to require that each deputy, reserve, court security, etc... take a marked unit home. It gives the appearance of a stronger police presence in the jurisdiction. This is the way my sheriff does it.

WOW, 7 from the same agency. There are a few of us (different depts) on the same block and we, also, keep an eye out for each other. Also one of the neighbors has a brother who's a town copper and he's always stopping by. When I started with my current department, I was assigned a marked take home car and I was tad concerned about having it parked in my D/W. (my former department didn't have this option / not at my level). It's a little easier now with an unmarked.

+1 for carrying at home......:supergrin:

wrenrj1
08-29-2011, 19:10
In my neighborhood, State Patrol and County Sheriff deputies have their vehicles parked on the street in front of their homes. There are 4-5 within walking distance around my neighborhood. I don't see anything wrong with it from a citizen standpoint.

mixflip
08-29-2011, 19:39
^ its not the law abiding citizens I am worried about.

Bodyarmorguy
08-29-2011, 19:44
I see alot of cops in my town do this. I personally would not do it just because it tells the world way too much information.

My hunch is that the more seasoned cops park their cruisers inside the garage and dont want anyone knowing they are a cop when off duty while younger cops like to show off their new ride? (along with wearing 511 cargo pants off duty)

So....does that mean that when a non-LEO who wears 511 cargo pants becomes an off-duty cop when he wears them? Or is he a mall ninja? So exactly who is allowed to wear 511 pants?

mixflip
08-29-2011, 20:45
So....does that mean that when a non-LEO who wears 511 cargo pants becomes an off-duty cop when he wears them? Or is he a mall ninja? So exactly who is allowed to wear 511 pants?

I meant that as a joke. I guess it wasnt funny. I just said that because I see fellow officers in my dept who like to look like an off duty cop plain as day (maybe as a deterrent? I dont know never asked) ...while I feel anonymity is my biggest advantage when amongst the public off duty.

There is nothing wrong with wearing 511 pants going to WalMart or grocery shopping or to the movies or to dinner. I just dont do it unless I am going to the range or camping or hiking. Just a personal opinion and I could be way off base. I do apologize if I offended any 511 wearers.

DaBigBR
08-29-2011, 21:13
I don't have a take-home car. If I did, I would PREFER to keep it in the garage. On-street parking restrictions prohibit cars from being parked on the street overnight here, and while I doubt the PD would ticket a marked car, I don't doubt that some of the uppity busybodies that come with any neighborhood would complain.

I have a neighbor (K9 handler) that has a take home car and there is a state trooper about a block away that has one. Both keep their cars in their driveways, neither have room in their garages for the car.

CAcop
08-29-2011, 22:22
I would never park a marked unit in the driveway. An unmarked would be iffy. Most of our detective cars are not typical police fleet vehicles (Compacts, mommy missles, small SUVs). I would fight tooth and nail a requirement to have a marked unit in my driveway. Ever since one of our few officers assigned a marked take home went out one morning to find an unexploded firebomb under their unit in their driveway I think it is retarded unless you live and work in a small town out in the middle of nowhere and eveybody knows your name and no one drifts through town.

We are targets every minute we are on duty. Why the hell would I want to make myself a target off duty?

boomhower
08-29-2011, 22:28
I agree with you, I wouldn't want a fully marked or unmarked yet obvious cruiser in my driveway, but then again, I don't have a garage, so...

I actually got a little annoyed that the last Sgt who did a surprise hom visit did so in plain clothes, yet a fully marked car. I'm with you, I don't want everyone knowing my business, especially in the neighborhood I live in.

What exactly is a surprise home visit from your Sgt?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

msu_grad_121
08-29-2011, 23:57
What exactly is a surprise home visit from your Sgt?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Actually, it was a department I was applying for, so he wasn't MY Sgt, per se. The funny thing about it is, NO ONE does home visits arunf here anymore, and the 1 or 2 depts that do, schedule them very strictly. As it turns out, the Sgt caught me in the shower, and the house was pretty messy as I hadn't been there for longer than about 7 hours a day for the preceding 3 weeks. Answering the door in basketball shorts and a towel doesn't exactly make a great first impression, I guess. Oh well, that's what he gets for popping in like that

ray9898
08-30-2011, 00:25
I don't have an issue with it. We have take homes and it comes with the job, you can't hide from everything.

NMPOPS
08-30-2011, 02:42
I had a take home car for 25 years, both marked and unmarked. It was never a secret who the neighborhood cop was so why put it in the garage. I have a two car garage but can only fit one car in it. My POV gets priority. Yes my car has been vandalized in my driveway and my house burgled. Goes with the job. My marked unit was paint balled once while I ate at IHOP at 3 AM. Again part of the job.

5.11s are just cargo pants to most non cops. I've been wearing for 20 years.

Sent from my Ally

collim1
08-30-2011, 04:57
WOW, 7 from the same agency. There are a few of us (different depts) on the same block and we, also, keep an eye out for each other. Also one of the neighbors has a brother who's a town copper and he's always stopping by. When I started with my current department, I was assigned a marked take home car and I was tad concerned about having it parked in my D/W. (my former department didn't have this option / not at my level). It's a little easier now with an unmarked.

+1 for carrying at home......:supergrin:

It used to be more...but the guys with children have started moving on to bigger homes.

It is never a secret who is a LEO in this town, no sense in worrying about the car being parked out front.

RVER
08-30-2011, 05:02
Most of our detective cars are not typical police fleet vehicles (Compacts, mommy missles, small SUVs). We are targets every minute we are on duty. Why the hell would I want to make myself a target off duty?

My issued car is a compact sedan with "clean" plates, although it has a radio discretly mounted up front on the floor. The current batch of fleet vehicles being issued are Chev Impalas with the police package - no thanks, I'll gladly keep my "Mom and Pop" ride.

Patchman
08-30-2011, 06:04
I meant that as a joke. I guess it wasnt funny. I just said that because I see fellow officers in my dept who like to look like an off duty cop plain as day (maybe as a deterrent? I dont know never asked) ...while I feel anonymity is my biggest advantage when amongst the public off duty.

There is nothing wrong with wearing 511 pants going to WalMart or grocery shopping or to the movies or to dinner. I just dont do it unless I am going to the range or camping or hiking. Just a personal opinion and I could be way off base. I do apologize if I offended any 511 wearers.

No need to apologize. In fact, choosing to not wear any "tactical" clothing (of any brand) is a running joke among many LEOs.

I used to wear the 5.11 tactical (cargo) pants for years. Until I got a little older (nearing 50 y.o.) when I realized cargo pants and such are dress-appropriate for young people, not oldsters like myself. We've all seen 60 year old women still dressing like they were only 20, with big hair, short skirts, high heels, etc... Just don't seem right.

So, in wanting to dress appropriately for my age, I now wear 5.11 and Woolrich "covert" type pants.

Of course, I still wear the 5.11 tac pants (in brown, coyote or whatever) while running around in the woods or at the range.

collim1
08-30-2011, 06:08
No need to apologize. In fact, choosing to not wear any "tactical" clothing (of any brand) is a running joke among many LEOs.

I used to wear the 5.11 tactical (cargo) pants for years. Until I got a little older (nearing 50 y.o.) when I realized tactical pants and such are dress-appropriate for young people, not oldsters like myself. We've all seen 60 year old women still dressing like they were only 20, with big hair, short skirts, high heels, etc...

So, in wanting to dress appropriately for my age, I now wear 5.11 and Woolrich "covert" type pants.

Shoot, I wear jeans, untucked shirt, and tennis shoes and still scream cop. If I wore 5.11 pants people would assume I was on duty, and would approach me and want to file a report.

Krauty
08-30-2011, 06:24
Myself and all my partners leave our squads in our driveways. Main reason is so partners can grab the squad if needed for whatever reason.

CAcop
08-30-2011, 08:00
Shoot, I wear jeans, untucked shirt, and tennis shoes and still scream cop. If I wore 5.11 pants people would assume I was on duty, and would approach me and want to file a report.

Same here. Me and two other guys went to a training up in Sac once and as we were leaving a burger joint some youths said as we were leaving, "Yep, them is cops."

We were wearing jeans, T-shirts, flannel shirts or fleece sweatshirts.

Not one thing tactical.

collim1
08-30-2011, 08:04
Same here. Me and two other guys went to a training up in Sac once and as we were leaving a burger joint some youths said as we were leaving, "Yep, them is cops."

We were wearing jeans, T-shirts, flannel shirts or fleece sweatshirts.

Not one thing tactical.

My wife says its not my appearance, but the way I check people out as they approach, and watch entry/exit points. I dont notice it, but she says its obvious.

CJStudent
08-30-2011, 08:38
My wife says its not my appearance, but the way I check people out as they approach, and watch entry/exit points. I dont notice it, but she says its obvious.

I get the same thing from my family, lol.

As to the OP, I don't have one, but the main PDs around here all have take-home cars, and it's never been a big deal around here. There are several in my parents' neighborhood (none in my apartments, though), and it's just a part of the scenery here. It actually caused one heck of a stink locally (and not just from cops) when the former mayor tried to restrict take-homes.

msu_grad_121
08-30-2011, 10:24

You too? I got "busted" at a Chicago bar several months back, which made me laugh. Walked in, right up to the bar and ordered 3 beers, to which the girl serving answered, "You're a cop, aren't you?" Never been so stone cold busted in my life! :rofl:

Ajon412
08-30-2011, 12:41
You too? I got "busted" at a Chicago bar several months back, which made me laugh. Walked in, right up to the bar and ordered 3 beers, to which the girl serving answered, "You're a cop, aren't you?" Never been so stone cold busted in my life! :rofl:

Come on, finish the story......The barmaid (a Hottie, I hope) gave you your (3) beverages of choice...:drink:..... and was sooooooo impressed with your "Copness" that she bought YOU several more rounds and offered YOU a ride at the end of the night......:rofl::rofl: Please tell us it had a happy ending......:wavey:

msu_grad_121
08-30-2011, 14:42
Come on, finish the story......The barmaid (a Hottie, I hope) gave you your (3) beverages of choice...:drink:..... and was sooooooo impressed with your "Copness" that she bought YOU several more rounds and offered YOU a ride at the end of the night......:rofl::rofl: Please tell us it had a happy ending......:wavey:

No fair, I already told you this story! :rofl:

To quote Super Troopers: "A gentleman never asks, a lady never tells." Wait...what?

Bodyarmorguy
08-30-2011, 17:45

No offense taken, just getting your take on this. I teach a class titled "Plain Clothes Carry Tactics and Off-Duty Survival" which I first taught at an IALEFI RTC in NJ about 2 years ago. One of the topics of discussion concerns off-duty attire, 5.11 style clothes in particular....does it scream "COP"? Is tht good or bad? What about the non-leo's that wear them? Many many other questions that did not have right or wrong answers, just opinions. I likened them to the take-home car that is permitted to be driven off-duty.

If you want more....invite me to come and teach the class, lol.

wrenrj1
08-30-2011, 19:00

5.11 pants/shorts are the most comfortable pants IMHO regardless of your affiliation. I wear the shorts daily in the season, and pants to work. I am not LE, Mall ninja, but have an emergency response component to my job. I just like the pockets, wallet position etc. I wore BDU's for 21+ years, these are much better.

genecole
08-31-2011, 20:41
I dont have much choice, no garage and the only spot to park my cruiser is right on the street in front of my house. All the neighbors know that my wife and I are both cops. I booked in one for weed, and my wife hooked another one for outstanding tickets.

As far as off duty wear, seems people look at you like a cop when you are always checking out who is around you and what they are doing. Shorts and a t-shirt, or 5.11's and a polo, still get the same "thats a cop" look.

Aux Bear
08-31-2011, 21:19
Being a co. reserve, our take homes are required, and must be parked in the drive or the street. Must be available to other Reserves should the need arise. We too have overnight parking restraints, however a quick conversation with the local PD Chief resolved the issue. Neighbors seem to be OK with it, never vandalized, shoveling the snow from around it can be a pain though. BIG co. and it doesn't make sense to drive to a Post to get a car and then have to double back to the assignment. Also saves time on emergency callouts. I don't like advertising, but have no choice.

RetailNinja
08-31-2011, 21:29
Take home saves on gas. I have a take home and it sits way up in the driveway because I can't park on the street or in the alley. I also have garage candy so the squad sits out. I live two blocks from another cop, and a local municipal cop is my roommate and we work opposite shifts. It's a good neighborhood so I don't worry about the locals, it's the idiots driving by on the highway with a BB gun in their car that nags at me.

igor
08-31-2011, 21:54
in my county we have had take home cars forever. i had one for 30 yrs. never had a problem with it. however i didnt leave either the shotgun or the ar 15 in the vehicle when i was not in it.
in teh annapolis area well the yuppies wear shorts and untucked polo shirts all the time i did also except a size larger. even today no one knows im armed since i look like the rest of them. in the winter well its jeans a sweat shirt and a vest to keep warm. the last dirtball who tried to accost me was qauite surprised. a glock 19 tends to do that i suppose
i even had a department helicopter assigned to me fcor a while , never could figure out how to park in front of the house, too many wires and trees.

Bullman
09-01-2011, 07:22
I don't have a garage, so I guess I am stuck parking it in the drive, can't park it on the street. I have had some issues with this in the past of people walking up to the house to report things too. I am trying to work on a parking area beside my carport where the car can be "buried" but there is only so much that I can do.

Rabbi
09-01-2011, 10:35
I am sure happy I live in San Antonio. (one of the largest Military cities in the US)

The whole "5.11 showing off/tring to look like a cop off duty" thing sucks. I dont get it. Everyone here wears them and almost to a person everyone, if they even give a crap thinks "Oh, Air Force"

I like em, I wore them before I was sworn and I wear them now. Often with a pair of Vans and an untucked Polo with no logos. I think I look more like a mechanic than any giant "all eyes on that guy he is a cop!"

REally...do some of you people live in places where the "Only" people wearing cargo pants/5.11 type pants are off duty cops? (or are you biased as well?)

mixflip
09-01-2011, 10:59
I think its not just 5.11 cargo pants that scream cop. Its the guy (off duty) who wears 5.11 cargo pants, tactical black boots, and a polo shirt that screams "cop". It probably has its pros & cons Im sure. And it probably deters crime.

In my area we just have Nellis AFB so there isnt a huge military presence compared to say...Sand Diego or Hawaii or San Antonio etc etc.

The Las Vegas valley has over 30 LE agencies so it very possible to have a few plain clothes "on duty" cops and I am just seeing them alot lol.:whistling:

Rabbi
09-01-2011, 11:14
I think its not just 5.11 cargo pants that scream cop. Its the guy (off duty) who wears 5.11 cargo pants, tactical black boots, and a polo shirt that screams "cop". It probably has its pros & cons Im sure. And it probably deters crime.

In my area we just have Nellis AFB so there isnt a huge military presence compared to say...Sand Diego or Hawaii or San Antonio etc etc.

The Las Vegas valley has over 30 LE agencies so it very possible to have a few plain clothes "on duty" cops and I am just seeing them alot lol.:whistling:

I think *we* (police) see things that most others dont.

I see things now that I never even thought to see before I did this. Not only do I notice things, I am looking for things. And what I notice and look for is only getting more and more. AND...not only that but I know what I am seeing now. I.E. instead of most people being oblivious to the guy with a few tattoos in the mall, like many people have, now I notice the guy with the tattoos....and I know what they mean.

Beside the natural inclination of people (all people) to have strong opinions on all things and to judge all things, I think we forget that we see things that most people are oblivious too. WE might see the guy in the 5.11 with the short hair cut and is carrying himself like a cop with his pants riding low one one side with a bulge....but in general, everyone else is oblivious.

I understand the corollary to that is the fact that some of the criminal element are also looking and seeing things as well. In general, so what?

MedicOni
09-01-2011, 11:49

Black or navy cargo pants, black work boots, and polo shirts is also how a lot of FD and EMS personnel here dress like when we're off duty. But then again, we have .mil and LEOs who dress that way too around here when off duty too.

nikerret
09-01-2011, 16:54
My marked patrol car sits in the street. My POV's get the garage.

Thus far, no problems at my house. There are only a couple of ways into my neighborhood and neither of those encourages thru traffic. There are two other cops' houses I drive by whenever I leave the house.

One of the cops walks with his family. I regularly see them walking in front of my house.

AR and shotgun stay locked in car in secured rack.
(Better than some guys I have seen bungee theirs in)

Small enough town people all know who the cops are. People even know the lazy ones :whistling:

I wear regular clothes off duty. BKE jeans, various t-shirts and have a trendy haircut.

CJStudent
09-01-2011, 17:33
Being a co. reserve, our take homes are required, and must be parked in the drive or the street. Must be available to other Reserves should the need arise. We too have overnight parking restraints, however a quick conversation with the local PD Chief resolved the issue. Neighbors seem to be OK with it, never vandalized, shoveling the snow from around it can be a pain though. BIG co. and it doesn't make sense to drive to a Post to get a car and then have to double back to the assignment. Also saves time on emergency callouts. I don't like advertising, but have no choice.

Hold on a second, a reserve with a take-home?! Holy crap, how do you get that gig?!

:shocked:

Bren
09-02-2011, 05:11

Unlike Glock Talk, the world is absolutely full of people who are NOT scared of every-%^$#&*%-thing. Many (not all) police officers are those people and aren't even slightly afraid to let people know they are cops - used to be a much higher percentage, 20-30 years ago. I and many others would enforce law in our own neighborhood, arrest or neighbors, and go to bed without the slightest fear. Imagine that. Now days, I guess there's a lot more "I'm afraid to let people know I'm a cop, off duty" and even more civilians who think that way.

That's my rant - I've been dealing with thieves, murderers and child molesters since the late 80's, but nothing disgusts me more than people who are afraid.

4949shooter
09-02-2011, 05:41
Car in the driveway? Yep, my patrol car stays there. I figure that since I paid good money for the cars that we own, I want to keep them out of the elements as much as possible. I would prefer to keep it out of sight though, but I just don't have the space.

Just to play the opposite side of the coin here, I have five cops living in my neighborhood. 4 of the guys live on my street, and the other guy lives 200 yards away from me around the corner. Four of us have take home cars, though two are unmarks. The other guy is a cop in town so he is always stopping home with his patrol car. Everyone knows who I am and what I do. I like to think an outward police presence helps keep the neighborhood safe.

As far as being "made" as a cop off duty goes...it has been happening to me since I came on the job over twenty two years ago. I guess it's the haircuts, the way we carry ourselves, they manner in which we speak, etc. When first married I walked into a bar/restaurant with my wife, brother in law, and sister in law. My wife noticed right away how certain people in the bar were eyeballing me. It comes with the territory. I do have a good friend from work who is all tatted up. He tells people what he does for a living and they still don't believe him Lol.

5.11 pants? Funny....my wife hates them. We were down in Alexandria, Viginia a few years ago for a school function. We were on one of the trolleys they have there in town. There is another guy on the trolley wearing 5.11's. He starts talking to me, and turns out to be retired FBI. I told him my wife hated our 5.11 pants. He turns to my wife and says, "You don't like my pants?" LOL..

Patchman
09-02-2011, 15:50
Even with the "covert" style pants, I tell everyone even remotely curious that I'm a professor of engineering at the local college. I carry an expensive pen in my shirt pocket and will occasionally carry a BIC pen (with the red cap- for grading papers) and a thumb drive around my neck to reinforce that image. What's next, walk around with a pipe and a cane?

msu_grad_121
09-02-2011, 16:18
Even with the "covert" style pants, I tell everyone even remotely curious that I'm a professor of engineering at the local college. I carry an expensive pen in my shirt pocket and will occasionally carry a BIC pen (with the red cap- for grading papers) and a thumb drive around my neck to reinforce that image. What's next, walk around with a pipe and a cane?

Chicks dig tweed jackets with leather elbow patches. I'm just sayin!

Personally, it's not about being scared for me, I just don't want to advertise who or what I am to everyone. Its the same reason that I don't OC or carry in a fanny pack, it takes away an advantage should things go horribly wrong.

If busted, I don't deny it, but I also don't advertise it. I don't think that makes me scared or paranoid, merely aware

nikerret
09-03-2011, 04:07
What's next, walk around with a pipe and a cane?

If you carry the right kind of pipe where people can see it, you will likely show everyone you're that professor who got detained and searched!

ditchdoc24
09-03-2011, 04:33
I live in a small community about 20 miles from where I work. People already know I'm a cop so there's no point trying to hide my car. That being said, my gate is always closed and my German Shepherd is always out in the yard. We haven't had any problems. I don't wear 5.11s except when I teach or go to the range and my weapon is always concealed under an untucked shirt.

Bullman
09-03-2011, 08:21
Heck, I can't afford to wear 511s on what I make.

JohnnyReb
09-05-2011, 00:40
Heck, I can't afford to wear 511s on what I make.

No kidding man, I have no idea how you do it.

Hack
09-05-2011, 07:49
Well, since we have gone to what we wear off duty, shirt that has a decent tail on it, like a polo without a logo, jeans or my navy blue pants that I wear for work, and my lesser expensive but comfy work boots. Works for me. Now, picture a guy with most of his hair on the sides of his head, cut kind of short and currently is sporting a beard and is overweight. Do I still get made. Occasionally. It doesn't matter what I wear, that I am overweight, and sporting a beard. I still get made as a cop, (even though I am fed CO). Occasionally I will use my walking cane, (which cane I bought because of a work injury), and still get made, except they may think I am a retired cop. I give up on thoroughly blending in.

buddah
09-06-2011, 07:20
I agree that parking a marked take home car at your home is a bad idea. I had my marked car parked at the local firehouse and I drove my personal car home from there.
But then again, I am paranoid when it comes to privacy. I shred all my mail, NOT a member of any social networking, my phone# is unlisted, all utilities are in my wifes name, all personal vehicles registered and insured to a P.O BOX, my drivers license has P.O BOX address on it, don't use on-line bill payments, never input my credit card info. for on-line shopping (I call the vendor and do transaction over landline). Short of wearing a tinfoil hat, I am paranoid by some standards, I like to refer to as "Heightened sense of officer safety".

scottydl
09-06-2011, 07:52
That's my rant - I've been dealing with thieves, murderers and child molesters since the late 80's, but nothing disgusts me more than people who are afraid.

There can be a thin line between fear and survival... and likewise between confidence and foolish arrogance.

I don't have a problem with people being smart and choosing whether or not they want to advertise their profession when off-duty. We all know that mopes act different when they KNOW you're around, so I almost preferred working plainclothes for several years and having criminals talk openly about whatever while riding the elevator with me, for instance. Great intel for me and they had no idea that I was a cop, and that certainly had its advantages.

Marked squad cars are kinda hard to hide. Even if it's in the garage most times, people are going to see you coming/going and know you're an officer.

Personally I would love to have a take-home car again. Had one with my last agency/assignment, but not with current one. Boy do I miss it!

dp509
09-07-2011, 08:20
Actually, it was a department I was applying for, so he wasn't MY Sgt, per se. The funny thing about it is, NO ONE does home visits arunf here anymore, and the 1 or 2 depts that do, schedule them very strictly. As it turns out, the Sgt caught me in the shower, and the house was pretty messy as I hadn't been there for longer than about 7 hours a day for the preceding 3 weeks. Answering the door in basketball shorts and a towel doesn't exactly make a great first impression, I guess. Oh well, that's what he gets for popping in like that

Did you get the Job :dunno:

msu_grad_121
09-07-2011, 08:41
Did you get the Job :dunno:

Sadly, no.

Eagle1
09-07-2011, 14:14

Speaking from experience, I have a take home and the first few weeks I had it, my neighbors would say things like "so you had to work lastnight"! My wife and I thought this was way to much info for people to know so mine has been in the garage ever since. I am a 10 yr officer and do not want people to follow me home and see which street I turn on to only come back later to find my unit parked by my residence. This is just common sense here for family safety in my own opinion. Of course some officers do not have this luxury so I feel for them. So many officers have been ambushed at their own residences whether they have a take home or not. Like anything else, there is ALWAYS a trade off.

larry_minn
09-07-2011, 14:17
Local Police Cheif parked his take home, marked squad in driveway. Well some theives broke into a closed gas station, put chain around ATM and (attempted) to pull it out with a stolen pickup.
It showed signs of planning and tracks were noticed not only by squad BUT around his home.... He lived 4 blocks from station. Tracks went directly to the station from his house.
So clearly they not only checked that the squad was in yard but that he was asleep before they attempted crime. He then parked squad in city garage. (closed limited access, can't see inside) from then on. Of course EVERYONE around knows where he lives/what he drives/etc.
Ideally a person should (in perfect world) have a garage where they could park it inside at home.

Local Deputy has a double garage, shed with auto door,etc. His squad sits outside (except if he comes home for dinner and his wife is gone) "They don't pay me for it, it can sit outside"

chuck pullen
09-07-2011, 17:00
Mixflip:

Got any more shotgun videos? I really have enjoyed yours.

mixflip
09-07-2011, 19:25
Mixflip:

Got any more shotgun videos? I really have enjoyed yours.

Lol, thanks for watching. I recently made a plain Jane Mossberg 500 video. Now that the Vegas heat is cooling down I should have LOTS more videos coming soon. I want to do some shotgun mythbusting videos for sure.

Bullman
09-08-2011, 02:07
Any particular myths you going after?

Vic777
09-08-2011, 07:26
Ya got me to thinkin'. I will see if I can rent my driveway out to a cop!

larry_minn
09-08-2011, 10:07
Ya got me to thinkin'. I will see if I can rent my driveway out to a cop!

Down in Florida there is a mall West of Tampa (name escapes me) where they have a marked squad car "parked" by enterance. I think the thing is cemented down. (practlically) IIRC it looked to me like it had not moved in months. I was thinking maybe solid rubber tires? Guess they thought it would help with crime?
I was with others/ didn't have time to walk around it but that was my impression.

mixflip
09-08-2011, 20:10
Any particular myths you going after?

1. You dont have to aim a shotgun, you could be blind as a bat and still hit your target.
2. You dont have to worry about birdshot overpenetrating.
3. Pistol grip shotguns are best for home defense for mobility.
4. Pump shotguns are more reliable than semiauto shotguns.

It sounds like fun testing these famous sayings about shotguns. They may or may not be true???

msu_grad_121
09-08-2011, 21:10
1. You dont have to aim a shotgun, you could be blind as a bat and still hit your target.
2. You dont have to worry about birdshot overpenetrating.
3. Pistol grip shotguns are best for home defense for mobility.
4. Pump shotguns are more reliable than semiauto shotguns.

It sounds like fun testing these famous sayings about shotguns. They may or may not be true???

Well #1 is (or should be) a no-brainer, but the myth persists, so...

Gonna post links? I'd love to see those!

mixflip
09-08-2011, 23:37
I'll post a video for you guys in the shotgun subforum when I get it done. The temp is dropping here in the desert so its time to go shooting more for sure.

Ajon412
09-09-2011, 12:49
There can be a thin line between fear and survival... and likewise between confidence and foolish arrogance.

I don't have a problem with people being smart and choosing whether or not they want to advertise their profession when off-duty. We all know that mopes act different when they KNOW you're around, so I almost preferred working plainclothes for several years and having criminals talk openly about whatever while riding the elevator with me, for instance. Great intel for me and they had no idea that I was a cop, and that certainly had its advantages.

Marked squad cars are kinda hard to hide. Even if it's in the garage most times, people are going to see you coming/going and know you're an officer.

Personally I would love to have a take-home car again. Had one with my last agency/assignment, but not with current one. Boy do I miss it!

I was thinking along the same lines, that it's less to do with "fear" and more to do with "concern"....Just my .02....:wavey: