First try rifle reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First try rifle reloading

deerhuntr88
08-29-2011, 20:14
Just ordered/ picked up everything I need for rifle reloading (.270). I've gotten my feet wet with 9mm and also ordered 40 S&W Dies and bullets.

Here's the bullet components that I have:

130gr Hornady SST
1lb IMR-4831
CCI BR-2 Large Rifle Primers
Winchester Brass

This is all off of a Lee Single stage press with the deluxe 3-die set plus a factory crimp die (since the bullets I'm using have a cannelure).

I'm just looking for extra knowledge from some people who know what they're doing and can give me more info than what I've researched (and I have researched ALOT).

Any and all additional tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated.

Colorado4Wheel
08-29-2011, 20:20
Pointy end goes UP.

fredj338
08-29-2011, 20:29
Rifle handloading is quite a bit diff than handgun. Mostly in the affect small changes make on accuracy. Your rifle will have a distinct preference for a bullet & powder combo. So buy small quantities to start, no more 100 bullets & 1# of powder.
Most rifles prefer cases neck sized or for a hunting rig, partila full length sized for best case to chamber fit. Then you need to determine max OAL for your rifle & bullet choice. It needs to first fit the mag then worry about relationship to the rifling. Just make sure the bullet isn't wedged into the lands.
Work up in small lots, no more than three shot groups to start, 0.5gr increase each time. Shoot from a stable rest, sand bags or commercial rest for best results. WOrk upto max book data & watch for pressure signs. If you get any stickie bolt lift or crushed primers or head stamp marking by the breech face, you are at practical max regardless fo what your book tells you. Your best group will come along someplace in that test batch. Take that load & make up 5 more & shoot those for group. If they look good, 5 more & move out to 200yds. & shoot them again. SOme loads shoot great @ 100 then the bullet gets unstable beyond 200yds.
When you think the load is perfect, now you can experiment w/ diff primers &/or diff OAL; seating the bullet longer or shorter by 0.020" a pop.

deerhuntr88
08-29-2011, 22:23
2 questions:

Since my bullets have a cannelure am I stuck at seating them to that point on the shell? Thus being stuck at only 1 OAL?

Also, I just put the IMR in the powder feeder and I can't seem to get it to throw consistently. It's been off as much as .5 gr between two throws. Anyone have this issue? Am I going to just have to throw the powder and remove/add powder to make it what I want it to be?

deerhuntr88
08-29-2011, 22:26
Pointy end goes UP.

Thanks I thought the big flat end would do more damage on impact but whatever...

Zombie Steve
08-30-2011, 08:06
2 questions:

Since my bullets have a cannelure am I stuck at seating them to that point on the shell? Thus being stuck at only 1 OAL?

Also, I just put the IMR in the powder feeder and I can't seem to get it to throw consistently. It's been off as much as .5 gr between two throws. Anyone have this issue? Am I going to just have to throw the powder and remove/add powder to make it what I want it to be?

You can seat it wherever you want. If you don't line up with the cannelure, you can't crimp it. Personally, I would skip the crimp unless you see problems with other rounds in the magazine getting setback from recoil (doubtful).

I've never used that powder, but if it's metering that bad, consider throwing a grain low then using a trickler to get up to weight.

Hoser
08-30-2011, 08:17
Make sure you size the brass enough to your bolt will close before adding powder and booolitz.

tjpet
08-30-2011, 10:38
2 questions:

IMR4831 is a long "stick" powder. It'll never run through a measure smoothly due to it's length, hence your problem with inconsistant weights. You'll have to add or subtract as necessary.

Zombie Steve
08-30-2011, 12:08
http://images1.tacticalstore.com/1020-680-ffffff/opplanet-hornady-powder-trickler-050100.jpg

PCJim
08-30-2011, 12:22
As others have stated, you will not get as consistent a throw with a stick-type powder as compared to a ball-type powder. But, you shouldn't be getting 0.5gr variances in your thrown charges if you are consistent in your methodology. You didn't state what powder throw you are using. The throw that I used long ago in my SS only reloading days would dispense a consistent charge if I bumped the handle twice at the top and at the bottom of the range of it's motion. I can see maybe a 0.1gr variance, but not 0.5gr. Try being consistent and see how that improves the throw.

BTW, in a 270Win case, 0.1gr will not make much of a difference unless you are trying for bug holes.

PCJim
08-30-2011, 12:25
Another bit of advice... Anytime you load a powder hopper, no matter what brand it is, run five or more throws thru it to help settle the powder before you start adjusting the charge.

fredj338
08-30-2011, 13:22
As noted, stick powders just don't meter well, period. So for best result, you need to weigh each charge. Crimping, not for me, not in most rifle rounds. So seat the bullet where the rifle wants it to be & forget crimping. It has little to no value in a bolt gun anyway.

ColoCG
08-30-2011, 14:08
If you hadn't already got IMR-4831 I would have suggested H-4831. It works great in the .270. It wouldn't feed any better unless you tried H-4831SC .I hand weigh all my large rifle rounds. H-4831 is a slower burning powder that IMR. But if you got it you might as well try it.

GIockGuy24
08-30-2011, 22:42
I haven't loaded 270 Win in a while but when I did Winchester brass was the best. 270 Win cases do stretch when fired and sized. This requires some trimming. I trim new cases to make sure they are all the same length. Then chamfer in the inside of the case mouths slightly to allow clean seating of the bullets. Make sure you use IMR-4831 load data and not H-4831 load data. They are different powders. I used to weigh each charge so measuring powder wasn't an issue. Crimping isn't usually required. 130 grain 277 bullets with a cannelure sounds odd. Make sure your bullets are the right ones for 270 Win.

ColoCG
08-31-2011, 08:27
I haven't loaded 270 Win in a while but when I did Winchester brass was the best. 270 Win cases do stretch when fired and sized. This requires some trimming. I trim new cases to make sure they are all the same length. Then chamfer in the inside of the case mouths slightly to allow clean seating of the bullets. Make sure you use IMR-4831 load data and not H-4831 load data. They are different powders. I used to weigh each charge so measuring powder wasn't an issue. Crimping isn't usually required. 130 grain 277 bullets with a cannelure sounds odd. Make sure your bullets are the right ones for 270 Win.

Most Hornady bullets have a cannelure, so it's not odd for them. They are fine whether you crimp or not. I never crimp most rifle rounds. In fact the only one I think I have crimped was the .416 Rigby. because of recoil and it's intended use.

Zombie Steve
08-31-2011, 08:50
Hunting bull elephants in the zoo again?

fredj338
08-31-2011, 09:42
Hunting bull elephants in the zoo again?

Hey, don't knock it till you try it. You don't have to walk 10-12K a day to get your shot.:whistling:

Zombie Steve
08-31-2011, 10:29
Probably best to do it in front of a bunch of kids too. Tough love and all that.

ColoCG
08-31-2011, 15:14
Plus much cheaper, if you don't get caught.And no taxidermy bill.:supergrin:

fredj338
08-31-2011, 16:44
Probably best to do it in front of a bunch of kids too. Tough love and all that.

HA! Better than showing them Bambi! That crap will ruin a childs mind for sure. Evil old hunters & all that.:tongueout:
Plus much cheaper, if you don't get caught.And no taxidermy bill.
Well, often w/ ele, no taxidermy bill anyway. Most just take the tusks & tail, maybe an ear, but I haven't/won't hunt ele, even in a zoo. Now buffalo, every trip, as many as I could afford.

Zombie Steve
09-01-2011, 00:17
The bull moose in the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo was lookin' at me a little cross last time I was there. I'm thinking of plugging him with a 180 mag tip. A zoo is pretty much a game preserve, so you don't need a tag, right?

deerhuntr88
09-02-2011, 23:11
Most Hornady bullets have a cannelure, so it's not odd for them. They are fine whether you crimp or not. I never crimp most rifle rounds. In fact the only one I think I have crimped was the .416 Rigby. because of recoil and it's intended use.

Yea, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to crimp or not, so I figured I'd get the die and test some rounds to see what works best.

deerhuntr88
09-02-2011, 23:11
Thanks for the help so far guys...

Zombie Steve
09-02-2011, 23:38
Let us know how it turns out. Have fun, be safe. If you aren't going to be safe, make sure it's posted on youtube.

:thumbsup:

deerhuntr88
09-04-2011, 01:21
Let us know how it turns out. Have fun, be safe. If you aren't going to be safe, make sure it's posted on youtube.

LTJohn
09-04-2011, 18:29
My favorite .270 load is a Nosler 130 gr. Partition over 60 grains of H-4831 and a CCI primer. It is a classic .270 load. I don’t crimp this load since it is for a bolt action. I have experimented with this load using both no crimp and the Lee FCD, and I found no difference.

deerhuntr88
09-15-2011, 03:39
So I tested my loads the other day and found a winner. 56gr of IMR-4831. Put holes through each other. Now I just gotta sight the gun in to it.

Zombie Steve
09-15-2011, 07:42
Cool. Any idea what speeds you were getting?

deerhuntr88
09-15-2011, 12:01
No clue. It shoots high and to the left as compared to the Remington Core-lokt 130gr that I used before, so I would think that its getting a better trajectory/ faster speed then core-lockts. I don't have a Chrono though.

The reloading book's useless for telling the probable speed since I have a different barrel length than what they used to test. I'm still probably pushing 3000. At least over 2500 I would imagine.

PCJim
09-15-2011, 14:26
So I tested my loads the other day and found a winner. 56gr of IMR-4831. Put holes through each other. Now I just gotta sight the gun in to it.

Ahhh, the joys of custom loaded ammunition. :thumbsup:

GIockGuy24
09-15-2011, 14:37
Sounds good. What distance were you shooting that it shot higher than factory ammo?

deerhuntr88
09-15-2011, 14:53
Sounds good. What distance were you shooting that it shot higher than factory ammo?

100 yds. wasn't able to test at much more than that. I mean, I shot off the car at 150 but I don't count that lol. It shot a good 2-4 inches higher than factory (can't remember exactly)

GIockGuy24
09-15-2011, 15:36
I've noticed that most factory ammo with 130 grain grain bullets goes about as fast as it's rated. The factory 150 grain loads are usually 200 fps slower than rated. That's pretty bad for the 150 grain loads. Full power loads in 270 usually stretch the cases more than 30-06 stretches.

My older manual shows a max load of 56.5 grains of IMR-4831 with a 130 grain Nosler Partition at 3.250" for 3080 fps.

My newer manual shows a max load of 55.8 grains of IMR-4831 with a 130 grain Hornady soft point at 3.180" for 3002 fps.

deerhuntr88
09-16-2011, 15:37
UPDATE:

*SIGH* So I went to the range today to sight my rifle in to the new "perfect loads". They were shooting kind of inconsistent. Not much more than 1-1 1/2 groups, but not the bug holes I wanted and got the other day. Which means the load is still in development. I'll be working on different powders after this powder is gone. I sighted the gun in anyway, and it's good enough to kill a deer out to over 150yds (I've never taken a shot past 70). But like I said, not the nail-drivers I want.

Here's another issue: After the first shot I noticed the ballistic tip on other bullets in the mag were "smooshed" in a little. It looked like the bullet was smacked onto a hard table. Has anyone else had this happen to you with ballistic tips? Do you think it might be what's affecting the accuracy?

I'll be doing more shooting come Jan. or Feb. as it is deer season here from Oct till the beginning of Jan. and the place I hunt is also where I shoot.

Any help peeples?

Zombie Steve
09-16-2011, 16:14
The load did well before. You probably found it after shooting some other work-up loads. Did you go home and get the bore all shiny clean again? A cold, clean bore usually takes a few shots to settle down and get consistent. How many did you fire this time? FWIW, I always hunt with a dirty bore. I can predict where a cold bore shot will go, but not necessarily a clean bore.

Was anything else different? An extra cup of coffee, perhaps? :supergrin: It sure makes a difference for me.

El_Ron1
09-16-2011, 19:10
PBR makes coffee?

Zombie Steve
09-16-2011, 19:12
"Coffee" is a good code word. I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze. :embarassed:

If Copenhagen made a drink, I'd drink it. :patriot:

deerhuntr88
09-16-2011, 20:39
The load did well before. You probably found it after shooting some other work-up loads. Did you go home and get the bore all shiny clean again? A cold, clean bore usually takes a few shots to settle down and get consistent. How many did you fire this time? FWIW, I always hunt with a dirty bore. I can predict where a cold bore shot will go, but not necessarily a clean bore.

Was anything else different? An extra cup of coffee, perhaps? :supergrin: It sure makes a difference for me.

I didn't clean the gun after I got home. I think it might have been too dirty I dunno. I did kinda go overboard with my shooting today and shot all 15 rounds I had so my barrel was pretty hot. It was much cooler here today then last time (a good 20+deg). Now that I think about it, there was alot of different factors....

Any ideas about the busted nose on the bullets?

Zombie Steve
09-16-2011, 20:43
I doubt the ballistic tips being flattened is a big deal at all. The base of the bullet is far more important in terms of stabilizing flight.

Regardless, the fact you shot one ragged hole before deserves some attention. Try again .2 grains short, your previous load, and .2 grains higher and see what happens.

deerhuntr88
09-16-2011, 20:46
cool. thanks man.

ColoCG
09-17-2011, 10:17
Yes Zombie's right, the flattened tips on the balistic tips won't affect accuracy at a 100yds at all. You might check to see how close the rounds fit in your magazine, if the bullet tip are close to the end of the magazine you might try seating the bullets slightly deeper and that might solve that problem.

If you want to check for an accuracy difference,shoot the rounds one at a time. Also if you plan to try other powders I really like H4831 also good are IMR4350 and RL22.