No Good Deed goes Unpunished [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No Good Deed goes Unpunished

HoldHard
08-30-2011, 06:49
Setting: Upscale Detroit suburban neighborhood of West Bloomfield
Event: Traffic stop for rolling through a stop sign.
Vehicle Occupants: Matthew Ureste (driver) and his wife, Township Supervisor Michelle Economou Ureste.

Officer Robert Stephens smelled alcohol on driver's breath. Driver agreed to take a portable breathalyzer test and blows a 0.11 (0.08 is DUI in Michigan) but a monitored reading is usually done at the police station. Driver informs officer that he had "a few drinks a few hours earlier". Officer Stephens decides that no ticket should be written and offers the Ureste's a ride home in his patrol car.

Police Chief Michael Patton gives Officer Stephens a five day suspension as he "did not follow proper rules and procedure".

Wow..... From this citizen's point of view, it looks like the cop got screwed over.... for trying to be a conscientious officer.

Link (http://detnews.com/article/20110830/METRO02/108300370/West-Bloomfield-cop-suspended-after-failing-to-make-arrest)

HH

collim1
08-30-2011, 07:04
Damned if you do, damned if you don't depending on what angle the media decides to "report" it.

Guarantee you press printed an article, admins inquired into it, and the officer did not notify his supervisor of the situation.

Prolly got suspended for not alerting a supervisor to the situation. But had he notified a supervisor, supervisor would have most likely told him to do the same thing.

Making me mad just thinking about it. He should have just made the arrest, and not worried about who it was and how public the case would have been and how big of a court battle it would have been.

msu_grad_121
08-30-2011, 10:14
The days of driving the OWI driver home with no ticket ended several years ago when an Oakland County Deputy drove L. Brooks Patterson (county executive) home instead of locking him up. The media got wind and it was a ****storm all the way around.

I somewhat agree with collim1, in that the driver was well over the legal limit, and pretty much every municipality in Oakland County has a standing order to arrest for OWI. It would have been different if the officer notified his supervisor and got the blessing to kick the driver loose, or if the driver blew .09 or something, but that's not the case.

It bothers me that something like this is more or less revoking the officer's descretion, but the Chief has final say in the matter, and this is what that Chief has said.

Sad all the way around.

collim1
08-30-2011, 12:03
The days of driving the OWI driver home with no ticket ended several years ago when an Oakland County Deputy drove L. Brooks Patterson (county executive) home instead of locking him up. The media got wind and it was a ****storm all the way around.

I somewhat agree with collim1, in that the driver was well over the legal limit, and pretty much every municipality in Oakland County has a standing order to arrest for OWI. It would have been different if the officer notified his supervisor and got the blessing to kick the driver loose, or if the driver blew .09 or something, but that's not the case.

It bothers me that something like this is more or less revoking the officer's descretion, but the Chief has final say in the matter, and this is what that Chief has said.

Sad all the way around.

I would never drive anyone home or put them on a cab, just my own personal policy. You either dont show impairment on my test and drive away, or you show impairment and go to jail.

verdugo60
08-30-2011, 12:14
Wait.........so the political big wig gets off scott free and the guy on the street pays for it? :wow: That has never happened before:upeyes:.

Lot of that goin' around lately.

BamaTrooper
08-30-2011, 12:26
Make the arrest and let it run its course.

MeefZah
08-30-2011, 12:45
Screw DUI's. I'll arrest every one, I don't care if they are the mayor, the police chief, my wife... I have zero tolerance for that. You do them a favor and it reinforces their negative behavior, potentially gets you jammed up, is unfair to other violators, and reflects poorly on the department.

If I'm a probationary copper and I arrest the "wrong" guy and get fired, well, at least I can sleep at night. Well, technically, I sleep during the day, but you get the idea.

ateamer
08-30-2011, 13:05
Setting: Upscale Detroit suburban neighborhood of West Bloomfield
Event: Traffic stop for rolling through a stop sign.
Vehicle Occupants: Matthew Ureste (driver) and his wife, Township Supervisor Michelle Economou Ureste.

Officer Robert Stephens smelled alcohol on driver's breath. Driver agreed to take a portable breathalyzer test and blows a 0.11 (0.08 is DUI in Michigan) but a monitored reading is usually done at the police station. Driver informs officer that he had "a few drinks a few hours earlier". Officer Stephens decides that no ticket should be written and offers the Ureste's a ride home in his patrol car.

Police Chief Michael Patton gives Officer Stephens a five day suspension as he "did not follow proper rules and procedure".

Wow..... From this citizen's point of view, it looks like the cop got screwed over.... for trying to be a conscientious officer.

Link (http://detnews.com/article/20110830/METRO02/108300370/West-Bloomfield-cop-suspended-after-failing-to-make-arrest)

HH
What was conscientious about what the officer did? He let a solid DUI arrest go because his wife is a politician. If it was Joe **** the Ragman driving, he'd be going to jail. The chief was right. The officer needs to re-read the code of ethics, and probably his department policy as well.

msu_grad_121
08-30-2011, 13:54
I would never drive anyone home or put them on a cab, just my own personal policy. You either dont show impairment on my test and drive away, or you show impairment and go to jail.

Can't argue with that. I think the big concern is that this guy (and Patterson) are politically connected, and its implied that the officer wouldn't have given the same consideration to Joe Schmuckatelli under the same circumstances. But that's a whole other can of worms that I won't be opening.

Mayhem like Me
08-30-2011, 17:54
officer has integrity issues

SPIN2010
08-30-2011, 18:07

Hear-Hear!

txleapd
08-31-2011, 03:26
The public is getting what they've always asked for consistency. No one gets a break.

ricklee4570
08-31-2011, 04:07
Screw DUI's. I'll arrest every one, I don't care if they are the mayor, the police chief, my wife... I have zero tolerance for that. You do them a favor and it reinforces their negative behavior, potentially gets you jammed up, is unfair to other violators, and reflects poorly on the department.

If I'm a probationary copper and I arrest the "wrong" guy and get fired, well, at least I can sleep at night. Well, technically, I sleep during the day, but you get the idea.

Sounds like you have integrity. The law is the law and when so many innocent people are killed by impaired drivers, there should be no grey area.

A6Gator
08-31-2011, 07:40
Wait.........so the political big wig gets off scott free and the guy on the street pays for it? :wow: That has never happened before:upeyes:.

Lot of that goin' around lately.

I think the wife was the "political big wig." You'll have to decide if she's hawt enough for a 5 mile follow on your own...:supergrin:

http://theoaklandpress.com/articles/2011/08/31/news/local_news/doc4e5c586432c62068769899.txt

nikerret
08-31-2011, 07:58
KS State Law says we must arrest with PC of DUI. PBT counts as PC!

RetailNinja
08-31-2011, 08:16

This is how I roll.

HoldHard
08-31-2011, 09:48
This comment in the Oakland Press story made me laugh:

"I feel that the officer in question did the right thing. Signed Charlie Sheen"

Too funny....

HH

Dexters
08-31-2011, 09:51
Make the arrest and let it run its course.

So right. There shouldn't be two laws - avg citizen and powerful - in this country. Unless, we want to be a 3rd world nation.

So, I don't think the police officer did a good deed in this case.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110831/NEWS03/108310420/West-Bloomfield-traffic-stop-deepens-township-s-divides

RocPO
08-31-2011, 09:56
Cop was a dope for letting him go. It's always better to make the arrest, then let the courts drop it or plea it. Plus, it was for a politician. They deserve less consideration then anyone else.

HoldHard
08-31-2011, 10:09
I think the wife was the "political big wig." You'll have to decide if she's hawt enough for a 5 mile follow on your own...:supergrin:

http://theoaklandpress.com/articles/2011/08/31/news/local_news/doc4e5c586432c62068769899.txt
The "glamor shot" picture from her political campaign is no where near reality.

http://www.twp.west-bloomfield.mi.us/images/economou.jpg

Try this:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/2011/0830/29021043_240X135.jpg

HH

MeefZah
08-31-2011, 10:40
http://www.twp.west-bloomfield.mi.us/images/economou.jpg

http://www.clickondetroit.com/2011/0830/29021043_240X135.jpg

Mmmmm....

....Ewwwwww

Hollywood D
08-31-2011, 12:39
It's always the person you don't arrest (for whatever crime) or don't write a ticket to that complains. That's why damn near everyone gets arrested or gets a ticket. Don't like it? Oh well, you did it to yourselves.

DaBigBR
08-31-2011, 13:38
"Michelle Economou Ureste"

...sounds like somebody that recently contacted me about the sum of 1,352,538$ us dollars...

JohnnyReb
08-31-2011, 14:18

...sounds like somebody that recently contacted me about the sum of 1,352,538$ us dollars...

:rofl:

HoldHard
08-31-2011, 14:20

From Nigeria? Must be her "other" job....

HH

opelwasp
08-31-2011, 15:42
From Nigeria? Must be her "other" job....

HH

What? Screwing people out of their money?:supergrin:

Hack
09-01-2011, 13:56
Treating people with discretion? Sure. Some things I would think don't allow for much discretion. Blowing high is one of those things.