ATF Director forced out, who's next? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ATF Director forced out, who's next?

verdugo60
08-30-2011, 11:58
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/30/sources-atf-director-to-be-reassigned-amid-fast-and-furious-uproar/

For anyone smarter than me! What's the deal with this? I know we have some Fed guys on here. I just can't seem to get the gist of what the purpose of the operation was in the first place. Some have claimed it was a way to make it look like there were more guns going to Mexico from the US than really were-another angle on shutting down gunshows and 2nd Amendment rights here.

Obviously if you have real insider knowledge or participated in the operation, you won't be blabbing it on the net, but generally, anyone know what this was really about? It really chaps me that this BP agent was killed period, but with guns connected to his own agency(DHS) and other feds. Especially since I am considering employment with some of these guys! :steamed:

Sippo
08-30-2011, 12:36
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/c46aeaf8#/c46aeaf8/89

Ajon412
08-30-2011, 13:21
It's about time....and more heads should roll, including Holder and beyond..The 2 or 3 BATFE Agents that had the courage to do the right thing (whistle blowers) should be given medals and promoted. The 3 ATF supervisors responsible, who were promoted, should be counting gains of sand at the US/Mexico border...:steamed: I suspect these moves are just for "political appeasement"....

HoldHard
08-30-2011, 13:32
Looks like he was just moved over to a different department within DoJ. Exactly what would it take to get fired in the Washington DC branch of the DoJ these days?

The acting director of ATF, Kenneth Melson, has been reassigned to a Justice Department policy office. And Dennis Burke, the U.S. attorney in Arizona who approved the "Fast and Furious" operation, resigned Tuesday. A senior Justice Department official said Attorney General Eric Holder had lost confidence in them and that ATF needed "a fresh start."

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44328901/ns/us_news-security/)

HH

verdugo60
08-30-2011, 13:48
Looks like he was just moved over to a different department within DoJ. Exactly what would it take to get fired in the Washington DC branch of the DoJ these days?

HH

An act of Congress is the running joke. Unless you are acting on orders from Congress or the Executive Branch already. Or you REALLY have to fall on your sword for the person actually responsible.

razdog76
08-30-2011, 18:23
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/30/sources-atf-director-to-be-reassigned-amid-fast-and-furious-uproar/

For anyone smarter than me! What's the deal with this? I know we have some Fed guys on here. I just can't seem to get the gist of what the purpose of the operation was in the first place. Some have claimed it was a way to make it look like there were more guns going to Mexico from the US than really were-another angle on shutting down gunshows and 2nd Amendment rights here.

Obviously if you have real insider knowledge or participated in the operation, you won't be blabbing it on the net, but generally, anyone know what this was really about? It really chaps me that this BP agent was killed period, but with guns connected to his own agency(DHS) and other feds. Especially since I am considering employment with some of these guys! :steamed:

Operation: Slow and Damage Control

Hack
08-30-2011, 19:02
I don't work for that particular agency, but call it damage control, reshuffling the deck, bringing out the scape goat, yada yada.

merlynusn
08-31-2011, 08:44
I'd actually say it's damage control. Anyone else think it's odd he gets "moved" shortly after he gives testimony to the Congressional Hearings and says "We wanted to be more forthcoming but DOJ told us not to" ???

Hack
08-31-2011, 09:36
It makes "perfect sense". Move the one likely to crack and cave in beyond accessibility of the opposition.

ronduke
08-31-2011, 14:13
Screw up, move up, cover up: Fast and Furious edition
by Michelle Malkin. Another good read by Michelle that explains the DOJ and ATF actions involved.

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/08/31/screw-up-move-up-cover-up-fast-and-furious-edition/

ronduke
09-13-2011, 01:37
"In case you missed it — and believe me, the Department of Injustice is hoping you missed it on this 9/11 memorial weekend — yet another violent crime (perpetrated by a suspected illegal alien )has been linked to Obama Fast and Furious guns."

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/09/12/fast-and-furious-update-more-guns-more-stonewall/

Ajon412
09-13-2011, 08:16
Yea, I saw this one as well. I'm sure the current administration would LOVE for this to just go away, or at least drag this out past the next election cycle. I don't believe that most Americans realize the enormity of Fast and Furiuos..I commend those in the Oversight Committee for "keeping it going" and those in the "responsible media" that recognize this as a legitimate news story. Hopefully those "higher ups" will ultimately be held accountable (if it happens at all)....We can only hope.....

verdugo60
09-13-2011, 10:49
Yea, I saw this one as well. I'm sure the current administration would LOVE for this to just go away, or at least drag this out past the next election cycle. I don't believe that most Americans realize the enormity of Fast and Furiuos..I commend those in the Oversight Committee for "keeping it going" and those in the "responsible media" that recognize this as a legitimate news story. Hopefully those "higher ups" will ultimately be held accountable (if it happens at all)....We can only hope.....

I would also like to commend those in the oversight committee. I don't know if their motives are purely unselfish, but at least the system is kind of working. The thing that scares me is how much the DOJ has been able to stonewall our own elected officials on this. Needless to say, THAT kind of power was never intended by the Founders.

Glock22C
09-14-2011, 08:01
If Joe Q Public was selling guns to drug dealers in Mexico he would be looking at a minimum of 15 years...these guys got promoted...

if people after still don't see that the federal government is corrupt nothing will.

we are dealing with a criminal element here

RussP
09-14-2011, 10:13
Once the sacrificial head roles into the basket, the crowd will disperse, go home and talk about justice being served. Then they move on the the next issue the MSM wants to bring into the consciousness of America, then once that sacrificial head roles into the basket, the crowd will disperse, go home and talk about justice being served, then they move on the the next issue the MSM wants to bring into the consciousness of America, then once that sacrificial head roles into the basket, the crowd will disperse, go home and talk about justice being served, then they move on the the next issue the MSM wants to bring into the consciousness of America, then once that sacrificial head roles into the basket, the crowd will disperse, go home and talk about justice being served, then they move on the the next issue the MSM wants to bring into the consciousness of America...

Morris
09-14-2011, 10:37
Once the sacrificial head roles into the basket, the crowd will disperse, go home and talk about justice being served. Then they move on the the next issue the MSM wants to bring into the consciousness of America, then once that sacrificial head roles into the basket, the crowd will disperse, go home and talk about justice being served, then they move on the the next issue the MSM wants to bring into the consciousness of America, then once that sacrificial head roles into the basket, the crowd will disperse, go home and talk about justice being served, then they move on the the next issue the MSM wants to bring into the consciousness of America, then once that sacrificial head roles into the basket, the crowd will disperse, go home and talk about justice being served, then they move on the the next issue the MSM wants to bring into the consciousness of America...

Quoted for the absolute truth.

ronduke
09-15-2011, 00:53
Weapons linked to ATF's controversial "Fast and Furious" operation have been tied to at least eight violent crimes in Mexico including three murders, four kidnappings and an attempted homicide.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-20106253-10391695.html

verdugo60
09-15-2011, 11:58

...But then what happens? :whistling: ...totally agree.

Hack
09-15-2011, 22:05
If Joe Q Public was selling guns to drug dealers in Mexico he would be looking at a minimum of 15 years...these guys got promoted...

if people after still don't see that the federal government is corrupt nothing will.

we are dealing with a criminal element here

Don't impugn the whole of federal government. It is what it is. Vote in the RIGHT people and you may even help make our lives better. I welcome some new bosses at the highest levels.

verdugo60
09-16-2011, 00:16
Don't impugn the whole of federal government. It is what it is. Vote in the RIGHT people and you may even help make our lives better. I welcome some new bosses at the highest levels.

Hack, I agree that we shouldn't impugn the whole federal government because of crap like this. On the other hand, it is frustrating when you THINK you voted in the right person, and crap like this always seems to keep happening. Might have something to do with the very limited choices we have in WHO we get to vote in, but that's another story.

(None of this is to be misunderstood that I thought the current occupant of the WH was the right person.)

ronduke
10-02-2011, 00:58
"This just might be the smoking gun we’ve been waiting for to break the festering “Fast and Furious” gun-running scandal wide open: the ATF apparently ordered one of its own agents to purchase firearms with taxpayer money, and sell them directly to a Mexican drug cartel."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/furious_revelation_OhK6TBqPlEpRglHjsSbiBI#ixzz1ZbaMz2CD

ronduke
10-02-2011, 01:35
New documents released by the White House detail direct communications between a local ATF manager in Phoenix and a White House national security staffer has raised interest among Congressional investigators looking into Fast and Furious.

CBS News has learned that ATF's Phoenix office led an operation out of Tucson called "Wide Receiver." Sources claim ATF allowed guns to "walk" in that operation, much like Fast and Furious.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-20114184-10391695.html

Ajon412
10-02-2011, 08:33
WOW....Now it seems that some in the MSM are actually taking a closer look at this as a REAL story.......Interesting to see just how far up this will go.....

Morris
10-02-2011, 14:41
Holder will fall on the sword when it gets too close to the WH.

ronduke
10-04-2011, 21:40
ATF Fast and Furious: New documents show Attorney General Eric Holder was briefed in July 2010.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-20115038-10391695.html

Hack
10-04-2011, 21:43
And, on it goes. I see a congressional hearing and court trial in the future.

ronduke
10-09-2011, 00:10
''We ask that you immediately appoint an independent special counsel from outside the Department of Justice to determine whether the Attorney General may have misled Congress or perjured himself in testimony before Congress,'' four Democratic senators wrote in a letter Wednesday, according to a draft obtained by The Associated Press.

''It has become apparent that the Attorney General has provided at a minimum half-truths and misleading statements'' to the Judiciary Committee, they added.

''We do not make this request lightly.'' wrote Sens. Charles E. Schumer of New York, Dianne Feinstein of California, Russ Feingold of Wisconsin and Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island in a letter to Solicitor General Paul Clement.

A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said he supports the request.

Unfortunately, this happened on July 26, 2007, with the demorats demanding an investigation into A.G. Gonzales, a republican. Now of course, you can only hear the crickets.

In 2007, all the major main stream news org. featured the above story. Now, with the F and F, only 1 reporter at CBS news seems to be following the story.

ronduke
10-09-2011, 00:22
''We ask that you immediately appoint an independent special counsel from outside the Department of Justice to determine whether the Attorney General may have misled Congress or perjured himself in testimony before Congress,'' four Democratic senators wrote in a letter Wednesday, according to a draft obtained by The Associated Press.

''It has become apparent that the Attorney General has provided at a minimum half-truths and misleading statements'' to the Judiciary Committee, they added.

''We do not make this request lightly.'' wrote Sens. Charles E. Schumer of New York, Dianne Feinstein of California, Russ Feingold of Wisconsin and Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island in a letter to Solicitor General Paul Clement.

A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said he supports the request.

Unfortunately, this happened on July 26, 2007, with the demorats demanding an investigation into A.G. Gonzales, a republican. Now of course, you can only hear the crickets.

In 2007, all the major main stream news org. featured the above story. Now, with the F and F, only 1 reporter at CBS news seems to be following the story.

ronduke
10-10-2011, 22:33
Fast and Furious weapons were found in Mexico cartel enforcer's home. 100 assault weapons acquired under Fast and Furious were transported 350 miles from Phoenix to El Paso, making that West Texas city a central hub for gun traffickers.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-atf-guns-20111009,0,6431788.story?track=rss

mrsurfboard
10-11-2011, 00:23
I read some thing where Obama is considering canning the whole ATF and transferring it's duties to the FBI. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. The ATF has been a cluster of an agency for quite some time now.

ronduke
10-17-2011, 00:57
"Grenade-walking" part of "Gunwalker" scandal. (Sharyl Attkisson, of CBS News has really been digging into the F & F mess.)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/14/earlyshow/main20120395.shtml

ronduke
12-21-2011, 09:46
NYT runs ‘Fast and Furious’ factual inaccuracy, favoring Holder

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/19/nyt-runs-fast-and-furious-factual-inaccuracy-favoring-holder/#ixzz1hBkJautl

merlynusn
12-22-2011, 08:17
Thats okay. Now AG Holder is claiming Congress is going after him because he's African American, just like the President.

Nevermind Border Patrol Agent Terry who was murdered by his actions.