1911 carry guys, what magazine feed lip design do you roll with? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 carry guys, what magazine feed lip design do you roll with?

nitesite10mm
08-30-2011, 16:57
Me, I'm USGI hardball feed lips all the way. Slickest chambering I've found and they have controlled round feed as JMB intended. Do you prefer wadcutter, or hybrid, or hardball feed lips?

Thanks!

oldsoldier
08-30-2011, 17:10
Check-Mate hybrid feed lips in my carry guns which have officer length frames part number CM45-7C-S-H. Check-Mate wadcutter feed lips in my range pistols part number CM45-7-S. They are reasonably priced and I have never had a problem with Check-Mate magazines. They are one of the OEM suppliers for Colt.

collim1
08-30-2011, 17:12
Wilson 47D's for me, but its not a carry gun, just a range toy.

Agent6-3/8
08-30-2011, 21:01
Wilson 47D with a low profile base plate in the gun. (would go flush fit, but I don't want to give up a round.) My two reloads are Wilson ETM. My 1911 was primarily an off duty gun, but I carried it on duty every chance I could. (which meant special assignments not requiring Class A's)

I do believe that Wilson mags use wadcutter feel lips.

trdvet
08-30-2011, 21:28
Whatever Tripp Research uses, best mags ever.

DaBigBR
08-30-2011, 21:35
I can honestly say that I didn't realize there were different feed lip designs, or at least that they could be so broadly categorized.

While I am a Wilson guy, and own ten ETMs and eight 47Ds, I roll with an ETM in the gun and three CMC Power+ ten rounders in the Safariland triple pouch. Cost me two rounds over the quad, but takes up less space on the ever-shrinking belt.

Agent6-3/8
08-31-2011, 08:06
Whatever Tripp Research uses, best mags ever.

Tripp makes great stuff! While I don't have any of their mags, I've got several CMC, Wilson and Springfield mag modes I've converted with Tripp Super 7 kits. Super smooth feeding and they just won't die. The only reason I'm currently using Wilson is that they are readily available locally.

fastbolt
08-31-2011, 13:52
I've still got a couple shoe boxes of 1911 mags I've collected and used over the years.

The ones I've been using for my 1911's as off-duty weapons in recent years, however, have been a mix of some FBI-spec Metalform, Tripp & ACT-Mag (used in both S&W and Wolff configurations). I've been meaning to try some more Tripp mags since they've changed their mag tube vendor, though (even though my older version has been running fine).

Other instructors (and SWAT) I know who are 1911's users have their own mix of favored mags. Funny how no two experienced folks seem to necessarily run all the same mags sometimes. CMC's appear favored among some.

genecole
08-31-2011, 20:37
Have Wilson 47D's in the gun and on my belt, the two Para Ordnance factory mags in the door, and a CMC 10rd in my pocket. Design doesn't matter that much to me if it feeds 100%.

itstime
08-31-2011, 20:42
For me it the Wilson 47d. Never used tripp though. May have to try them in the near future.

CAcop
08-31-2011, 21:48
What type of feed lips do Metalform/Springfield 7 rounders have? Because that is what I use. I used to use ActMag/PSI/Novak/the other half of the 1911 world but the baseplates kept cracking when they hit the ground. Their engineer told me to boil them every 6 months to get more water into them and that within a few months they were going to have better polymer to prevent cracking (should be fine by now).

Never been a big fan of Wilson's. They seem to choke on the last round every now and again. CMCs are okay but I have had the follower pop out of the mag in front. Never tried Tripp's. Maybe after I fix up my Combat Commander I'll spring for some.

BTW a no name mag with a Trip spilt follower to make it go from 7 to 8 rounds is my sleeper mag. That thing theoretically should be a dog but it runs like a raped ape. The feed lips are spread apart compared to the others.

old_pigpen
09-01-2011, 17:53
I carried a 1911 on duty as a reserve deputy, and for many years before and after. I always had the best luck with genuine military surplus (not cheap knockoffs) or Colt commerical magazines.

beatcop
09-01-2011, 18:05
A long time ago I used Chip McCormick shooting star mags with good luck. True USGI was ok also.

nitesite10mm
10-04-2011, 10:58
BTW a no name mag with a Trip spilt follower to make it go from 7 to 8 rounds is my sleeper mag. That thing theoretically should be a dog but it runs like a raped ape. The feed lips are spread apart compared to the others.

That sounds like a "follower modified for 8-rd" GI Hardball feed lip mag. The V'd lips that are full length are the secret.

GI Hardball FTW

para38super
10-04-2011, 11:08
Wilson Combat 47d, Chip power mag, and Colt 7rd mags for me.

Cochese
10-04-2011, 11:33
Wilson ETM 9mm.

I wish CMC had 9mm power mags.

CanIhaveGasCash
10-04-2011, 13:24
Currently I use Wilson ETM's, however I am waiting on some CMC Power mags because one of my guns doesn't like the ETM's or the Tripp Research upgrade kits.