Barricaded woman in standoff w shots fired acquitted.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Barricaded woman in standoff w shots fired acquitted..

steveksux
08-30-2011, 19:41
Child protective services got court order (may be bogus depending on which ruling you believe) to take her daughter away for not giving her psych meds, mother wanted to try other means to treat the kids mental problems.

Cops were called in to enforce the order, shots fired from inside the house, woman barricaded in the house held cops at bay for a few hours.

Not guilty (almost said innocent... :embarassed:) on all counts...

Guess its ok to shoot at cops if you think their court order is not legit???? Really????

http://www.freep.com/article/20110830/NEWS02/108300383/Detroit-mom-cleared-charges-stemmed-from-standoff-home

TreverSlyFox
08-31-2011, 01:00
Ummm, maybe you should actually READ the article, there was NO trial, she wasn't found Not Guilty or Acquitted by a Jury:

The charges against Godboldo were dismissed at her preliminary examination in 36th District Court in Detroit. Judge Ronald Giles agreed with her lawyers that the court order to remove Godboldo's 13-year-old daughter was not valid.

(Judge) Giles also agreed that there was no evidence supporting the charge that Godboldo fired a gun at police during the standoff.

txleapd
08-31-2011, 03:20
One guy I work with got his throat cut by a suspect. The suspect got probation.

Another guy was in a running gunfight, where the suspect literally chased him around a car, shooting at him and screaming he was going to kill him. The DA's office dropped charges.

A guy in a car tried running down me and my partner one night when we were working bike patrol. He intentionally came up over a curb to try to hit my partner, changed direction, and then came after me. He got a whopping 5 years for both counts of Agg Assault of a PO.

Some places, it happens quite a bit....

msu_grad_121
08-31-2011, 04:53
Well, it IS 36th District, so I'm not all that surprised. However, this ruling pretty much directly contradicts the MI Supreme Court ruling from several years ago that overturned a citizen's right to resist improper arrest while at the scene. The court wisely stated that the issue would be resolved in court, rather than "on the side of the road."

I tend to believe the officers that they had been fired on by the Godboldo, but if the judge ruled there wasn't enough evidence, it's none of my concern. I don't like how this might embolden people who feel they can resist arrest tho, as it basically gives tacit approval for deadly force on the part of the resisting party.

MarcDW
08-31-2011, 05:50
So lets say the officers would have shoot this person with her rifle in her hand; would that then be a possible wrongful death law suite?

merlynusn
08-31-2011, 08:37
Not against the officers. If they are acting based on an order that a reasonable officer would deem to be valid, then they are covered even if it is later determined the order is invalid.

Unistat
08-31-2011, 08:54
I heard on the news last night that this ruling is going to be appealed.