Magnaporting a shotgun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magnaporting a shotgun?

Brad737
08-30-2011, 21:22
Hello Mas,

I just finished Stressfire II and really liked it. I'm still definitely going to add a nice semiauto shotgun to my arsenal, when the right one comes along. Per your recommendations, I'm leaning heavily towards a 20 gauge...an LT20 if I can find a good one, or an 11-87. As of now, here's my 12 gauge 870.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/bradspence/Remington870ExpressTactical-1.jpg

It came stock with the door breech/ muzzle brake and assault stock. I tried to only add things that would make it a better weapon, no "fluff", such as rear ghost ring, laser, sling, red dot, etc.

I've added the shell holder, a Wilson Combat +2 mag extension, XS Big Dot tritium sight, Elzetta light mount with 130-lumen Streamlight Polytac, and jumbo head safety switch. I load it with Remington #1 buckshot.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to have the barrel Magnaported. It certainly seems like a great idea to reduce the recoil if possible, but I've read other folks saying that porting is a waste of money, and doesn't really have any noticeable benefit. I think for the low cost, it's definitely worth trying. I'm just wondering if you still think it's a good idea?

Any other recommendations? For the record, I just purchased a lifetime membership to Front Sight, and I'm absolutely going to attend the shotgun class among others.

Thanks,
Brad

Mas Ayoob
08-30-2011, 21:28
While I never found MagnaPorting reduced the rearward "kick" of a shotgun when held in an aggressive fighting stance, I found it did definitely reduce the muzzle rise. I have it on two or three of my own shotguns and have been happy with it.

best,
Mas

Brad737
08-30-2011, 21:55
Wow! Only 6 minutes for a response! Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to give it a try. I'm not gonna try and act macho and pretend I keep the muzzle fully on target with every shot. A full power load does flip the muzzle somewhat, so I'm all for that. I'll let you know my impressions when I get her back.
Thanks,
Brad

Mas Ayoob
08-30-2011, 22:14
I'll look forward to hearing how it worked for you, Brad.

And, by the way, please let's not anyone expect 6 minute responses. There is one patient GT-er who is still waiting after a few days for me to hear back from a manufacturer so I can answer his GATE question about a certain type of ammunition, and another who's been waiting more than a week for a similar answer from a different manufacturer.

Always appreciating patience,
Mas