Primary Arms compact 3x scope [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms compact 3x scope

arclight610
08-30-2011, 21:22
... back in stock. I just saw them. I was looking for a cheaper 4x scope with a BDC. Some of my top picks were going to be the Nikon M223 BDC, Hi-Lux CMR, or Burris Tac30. However they are all in the $300 range. With PA's reputation I think this scope may be a good alternative.

Reb 56
08-30-2011, 22:00
I think the PA 3x scope would be worth trying out. I have one of thier M4 Red Dots that has worked great for me. I'm tempted to get the 3x for some magnification.

SigFTW
08-31-2011, 09:49
I like mine!
Just spend a little more and get the PA Deluxe 3X magnifier.

MARSH1
08-31-2011, 10:37
... back in stock. I just saw them. I was looking for a cheaper 4x scope with a BDC. Some of my top picks were going to be the Nikon M223 BDC, Hi-Lux CMR, or Burris Tac30. However they are all in the $300 range. With PA's reputation I think this scope may be a good alternative.

A few pics

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/3Xmounted1.jpg

Reticle

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/Reticleclose-1.jpg

Fits on a carry handle also

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/CARRYHANDLE.jpg

Novocaine
08-31-2011, 14:39
Can the rails be removed? What are the reticle subtensions? Is carry handle mount a "see-through"?

If it could be low-mounted on the picatinny instead of carry handle I think it could be an ideal sight for Kel-Tec.

MARSH1
08-31-2011, 14:50
Can the rails be removed? What are the reticle subtensions? Is carry handle mount a "see-through"?

If it could be low-mounted on the picatinny instead of carry handle I think it could be an ideal sight for Kel-Tec.

There is a hole through the length of the bottom so you can see your irons on a carry handle.

Not sure how you could low mount it. The part with the logo does not come off.

Pic without rails.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/3XNorails.jpg

Novocaine
08-31-2011, 15:07
Thanks, Marshall. The height seems just right for a flat-top AR. Which is a tad too high for KT. I mean usable but not ideal. KT has this retarded disassembly procedure that requires the removal of the normal-length scope. Red-dots are short enough not to interfere with disassembly, but the rifle is accurate enough to warrant magnified optic. This scope could be just the ticket.

Do you know how short horizontal hash marks on the reticle subtend?

arclight610
09-03-2011, 22:31
I just ordered one. I will do a review after I get it.

arclight610
09-12-2011, 15:25
HOW I DECIDED

I had been looking for a scope that roughly duplicated the feel and functionality of the ACOG I used in the Marine Corps. Since I am leaving active duty in two weeks and will be without a job for a couple of months, I reconsidered forking over the $1000 for a real ACOG in lieu of other options. The main features I wanted in a scope was a fixed, low magnification and BDC (Ballistic Drop Compensator) reticle, similar to the features of the real deal ACOG. Economical scopes within this category included the Leatherwood CMR, Nikon M223 BDC, Burris AR332 for around the $300 mark. Primary Arms formerly made a 4x compact scope, but most of the forum posts I read about them were over 2 years old and they did not show up on the Primary Arms website when I was researching. So, I figured it must have been a single-run, one-time-deal sort of thing. However, the night that I was going to order the Nikon M223 from Midway, a newer 3x compact scope popped up on Primary Arms website for only $180. What luck! Being familiar with the quality of their red dots and their customer service, I ordered the PA scope instead.

PACKAGING, INSTRUCTIONS, ACCESSORIES

I ordered on the Friday before Labor Day weekend, so I had an extra long wait. However, shipping was still very fast. I received the scope that Weds afternoon. The scope came wrapped in plastic in a very simple box and nothing else came with the scope except for the receipt, 2 page of instructions, and the installed CR2032 battery. Allen wrenches to take off the top rails would have been nice to be included, as none of the ones I had at home were an exact fit.

The 2-page instructions consisted of a page of written material and a diagram that shows you what size in mils/moa the various parts of the reticle correspond to. The written instructions are very crude. It essentially tells you the "meat and potatoes" of how to use the scope such as calibrated bullet weight, how to use the BDC reticle, how prismatic scopes work, and that the scope works with most ACOG mounts. Weight, eye-relief, care, and other information that some people may find crucial is omitted.

FIT AND FINISH, INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

Of all the Primary Arms products I've been in contact with, I believe this scope has the best fit and finish of them all. The black coating is very uniform, the milling seems to be much more refined than the other PA sights/scopes. The only imperfections that I saw were some minor visible grind marks near the scope base. Also, the carry-handle peep hole that is drilled through the base is VERY rough cut. It's like looking through a dirty shotgun bore. It does not apply to me, as I have it mounted to a flat-top upper. However, it may bother those planning on mounting this to a carrying handle.

I have no scientific way of measuring the clarity of the glass, so I can only give a subjective opinion. It is significantly more clear than my Romanian LPS-1 scope, and I cannot tell any difference between looking through an ACOG and the PA compact scope. I believe it is very suitable for its price-point and intended purpose. The etched reticle is very clear (after you get it into focus) and provides for drop-compensation without appearing too busy. In addition, the reticle can be illuminated red on a scale from 1-11. I found that 1-2 is sufficient for most low-light application. If you set the illumination too high for the ambient lighting conditions, the interior of the scope will take on a reddish hue from the reflected light.

The knobs and caps are all o-ringed for water-resistance. The windage and elevation caps are wired together through the scope body just like the ACOG. This is to prevent losing them in the field or at the range. The illumination knob is very stiff to turn, which can be a good and a bad thing. It makes the knob harder to accidentally bump, but also makes it harder to engage in a hurry.

Externally, the scope closely resembles Burris's AR332. In fact, I saw a comment on another forum that oftentimes different Asian scope-makers will use the same mold for the body. I've also noticed that the reticle on both of the scopes somewhat resemble each other. The PA Compact is also pretty hefty, for its size, at around 14oz.
(More to come later after my computer quits acting up)