Full Hard Drive - Mac [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Full Hard Drive - Mac

DGreno
08-30-2011, 22:59
Hello all, I am not really tech savvy in this aspect. My wife has a 15 in MacBook Pro. She is using it for school and her photography (mostly RAW files). It has a 320gb HD. She just told me her computer shows the drive as being full. FWIW, she does have a few external drives she uses as well but relies on the internal mostly. My question is, how hard is it to change out for a 500-750gb drive? I have no problem in the actual hardware swap, however, I don't know how to get everything off her current drive onto the new one properly.

Also, what does the GT Tech crew recommend for HD's for the Macbook? I have looked at a few on NewEgg, just not sure what to buy.

Thanks! :wavey:

Pierre!
08-31-2011, 01:08
You should be able to get the specs of your system at the Apple site... and that will tell you the interface...

BUT - then again, in the upper left hand corner you can click on the 'Apple' icon and select system specs too! (and that would be much quicker :cool: )

Once you know the interface (most likely 3Gb SATA) you should be able to order up any matching interface 2.5" notebook drive. Keep in mind that 7200 rpm will make your system a bit faster, but it will run warmer and use more battery too. 5400 rpm is a typical speed for a notebook... but check out what you have in the system now before you place your order.

If you need more info, or I just confused you, holler back! We will get you what you need to make an intelligent decsion!

Patrick

boomhower
08-31-2011, 01:52
Take a look at the hybrid drives. They combine a small SSD for speed with a regular mechanical for storage. They aren't much higher than regular drives and give a pretty solid speed boost.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

GAFinch
08-31-2011, 08:06
You can install OS X on the new drive and then use the Migration Assistant to move over everything else from the old drive.

Another simpler method would be to use the Carbon Copy Cloner program:

http://help.bombich.com/kb/usage-scenarios/i-want-to-clone-my-entire-hard-drive-to-a-new-hard-drive-or-a-new-machine

You'll put the new drive in an external enclosure, copy the disk image onto it, then install it into the MBP. OWC has a video tutorial for opening the MBP in case you need it.

DGreno
09-01-2011, 05:31
Awesome! Thanks for your help. If I install osx from the disks that came with the computer, can I use a time machine backup to restore everything as it was?

HerrGlock
09-02-2011, 11:21
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

You don't even need to do all that.

Go get the new drive and a USB or firewire drive that will hold the entire current drive.
Install the above link's software to your current drive
Plug in the USB drive
Run SuperDuper to copy to the USB drive
Reboot with the Option key pressed and boot with the USB drive (to make sure it works right)
shut down and change out the disks to the new one
boot with the SuperDuper disk and restore to the new drive
Unplug the USB drive and reboot.

You're up and running with the new drive and all your information intact as well as a bootable backup with that USB drive.

JimmyN
09-02-2011, 14:44
Good advice all around. Just remember that you'll be looking for a 2.5" drive for notebooks rather than a 3.5" drive.

Newegg has a Seagate Momentus 750GB 2.5" drive on sale. I can't speak to reliability since I've never owned one.

Normally $94.99, it's $84.99 with Promo Code. Or if you sign up for e-blast special emails you can get it for only $74.99 with free shipping. You can un-subscribe afterward if you don't want to keep getting their e-Blast emails.

Regular sale price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148599&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL083011&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL083011-_-EMC-083011-Index-_-LaptopHardDrives-_-22148599-L03B

E-Blast special listing (about three lines down from the top)
http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/aug-0-2011/labordaysale30/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL083011&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL083011-_-EMC-083011-Index-_-Header-banner-_-AllDeals

DGreno
09-02-2011, 18:54
That's the one I wound up getting, Jimmy. All the reviews that had it installed in a MBP seemed to like it.

HerrGlock, I appreciate the pointer. Would my time machine idea work as well?

GAFinch
09-03-2011, 00:19
It should.

HerrGlock
09-03-2011, 01:11
That's the one I wound up getting, Jimmy. All the reviews that had it installed in a MBP seemed to like it.

HerrGlock, I appreciate the pointer. Would my time machine idea work as well?

It should. SuperDuper and Carbon Copy don't require you to reinstall the OS, though. Just save a step and an hour or so of time.

DGreno
09-03-2011, 02:35
If I use the SuperDuper as you said, how do I transfer everything from the USB drive to the new hard drive? Is this an option in the program? Sorry for all the questions.

HerrGlock
09-03-2011, 09:20
If I use the SuperDuper as you said, how do I transfer everything from the USB drive to the new hard drive? Is this an option in the program? Sorry for all the questions.

It's even easier than you're thinking it is. If you don't want to get the extra drive, take a look here:

http://www.apricorn.com/products/notebook-hard-drive-upgrade-kits/ez-upgrade-universal-hard-drive-upgrade-kit.html?type=reg&id=1023

$40 gets you a USB caddy and software to do it.
Plug in new drive to the caddy (make sure it's a 2.5" drive)
Run the software (SuperDuper)
There are two options at the top of SuperDuper
1) Transfer from _____ (drop down menu with your internal drive already chosen)
2) Transfer to ______ (drop down menu with all hard drives available, probably only your internal drive and your USB drive)

Click "Start"

It does the rest.
Then, after it's done, you swap out drives and you're done.

banjobob
09-03-2011, 09:35
I've used time machine twice to do the same thing, it could not be easier and costs you nothing

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor inform

DGreno
09-03-2011, 19:33
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-22148599-L03B

This is the one I got. It came in yesterday. I will tackle the switch in the morning when I get off work. Thanks everyone!

DGreno
09-05-2011, 05:32
It's even easier than you're thinking it is. If you don't want to get the extra drive, take a look here:

http://www.apricorn.com/products/notebook-hard-drive-upgrade-kits/ez-upgrade-universal-hard-drive-upgrade-kit.html?type=reg&id=1023

$40 gets you a USB caddy and software to do it.
Plug in new drive to the caddy (make sure it's a 2.5" drive)
Run the software (SuperDuper)
There are two options at the top of SuperDuper
1) Transfer from _____ (drop down menu with your internal drive already chosen)
2) Transfer to ______ (drop down menu with all hard drives available, probably only your internal drive and your USB drive)

Click "Start"

It does the rest.
Then, after it's done, you swap out drives and you're done.

Ok. I've done all this. Now when I boot up, it won't do anything unless I hold the option key and select the drive (it's the only one connected, installed internally). In doing this, it boots up fine, however, holding the option key everytme is kind of a pain. What am I doing wrong?:faint:

DGreno
09-05-2011, 21:06
Anyone got any ideas?

JimmyN
09-06-2011, 10:09
Since it boots OK when you select the drive as an option I'd check the boot sequence in the BIOS. When swapping drives around I have seen the BIOS change the disk/boot order when it found a new drive.

I had one system that EVERY time I added a data drive the BIOS would automatically move it to first place in the boot order and try to boot from it on the next startup. And it would place the drive that it had always booted from at the bottom of the list for some reason.

HerrGlock
09-06-2011, 10:12
Since it boots OK when you select the drive as an option I'd check the boot sequence in the BIOS. When swapping drives around I have seen the BIOS change the disk/boot order when it found a new drive.

I had one system that EVERY time I added a data drive the BIOS would automatically move it to first place in the boot order and try to boot from it on the next startup. And it would place the drive that it had always booted from at the bottom of the list for some reason.

There is no BIOS in a Mac

HerrGlock
09-06-2011, 10:18
Ok. I've done all this. Now when I boot up, it won't do anything unless I hold the option key and select the drive (it's the only one connected, installed internally). In doing this, it boots up fine, however, holding the option key everytme is kind of a pain. What am I doing wrong?:faint:

Never had this happen before. That's not good.

Might want to install http://refit.sourceforge.net/ rEFIt. It's free.

That's a boot loader for Mac. Follow the instructions to have it run every time you boot.

On your first boot, arrow key down to the sync icon (the little disk drive) and let it sync the disk's MBR and EFI.

After it boots up a couple times remove rEFIt and see if that took care of it.

JimmyN
09-06-2011, 10:34
I didn't know that, but I've never even pressed a key on a MAC. That is really interesting, I've learned something new today. So I guess boot sequence, memory timing, enable/disable ports and on-board peripherals and other BIOS functions are done by software after it boots? Or are those options not available on a MAC?

HerrGlock
09-06-2011, 10:58
I didn't know that, but I've never even pressed a key on a MAC. That is really interesting, I've learned something new today. So I guess boot sequence, memory timing, enable/disable ports and on-board peripherals and other BIOS functions are done by software after it boots? Or are those options not available on a MAC?

That's why Macs only come from one manufacturer. All the hardware is a given, they don't need to make it adjust for various manufacturers.

The EFI rather than MBR is what gives most things fits including Linux. Your suggestion is a good one for any non-Mac Intel system. Mac's a different animal.

Another thing you (OP) might want to try is the Disk Utility and run the verify disk. Chances are there are minor issues that came over from the old disk that'll get corrected but that seems to be a universal fix all when you ask about stuff on macrumors.

Glock 1
09-06-2011, 12:40
If you can afford it and if the specs match, I have to recommend a Western Digital VelociRaptor drive. I dropped one in a HP laptop of mine and I love it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136555

Disregard, I see now you got your drive.

DGreno
09-06-2011, 13:54
In researching the issue, it appears as though the drive was not formatted in the right format the first time I plugged it in. Running verify disk did not change anything, fwiw. I think I am going to just reformat and start over unless I can find something else productive to try.

HerrGlock
09-06-2011, 15:05
In researching the issue, it appears as though the drive was not formatted in the right format the first time I plugged it in. Running verify disk did not change anything, fwiw. I think I am going to just reformat and start over unless I can find something else productive to try.

Weird. But it cannot hurt. Make sure to use the Mac Disk Utility to do it.

GAFinch
09-06-2011, 18:52
It's a long shot, but go to System Preferences->Startup Disk and make sure your hard drive is highlighted (selected).

JK-linux
09-06-2011, 19:07

DGreno
09-06-2011, 19:24
It's a long shot, but go to System Preferences->Startup Disk and make sure your hard drive is highlighted (selected).

Go to System Preferences, and then select "Start Up Disk in the lower pane. Does it show the internal drive as the startup disk and say something like "You have selected Mac OS X, 10.*.* on the disk "Whatevername." ?You may just need to specify the internal disk as the boot disk.

Awesome! This actually worked. Much easier than reformatting and starting over. Thanks everyone! :wavey:

HerrGlock
09-07-2011, 05:47
Go to System Preferences, and then select "Start Up Disk in the lower pane. Does it show the internal drive as the startup disk and say something like "You have selected Mac OS X, 10.*.* on the disk "Whatevername." ?You may just need to specify the internal disk as the boot disk.

Outstanding. I'm going to have to keep that one in the "things to try" notes :)

GAFinch
09-07-2011, 21:18
I've had it happen with my old Mac. The computer would flash the error symbol, but after about 15 or 20 seconds the computer would identify a valid OS, switch to it, and start booting.