Three more powders added to muzzleflash pics [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Three more powders added to muzzleflash pics

jeffreybehr
08-30-2011, 23:31
Just finished shooting, developing, and posting pics of the muzzleflash produced by Hodgdon HS-6 and Vihtuori 3N37. HS-6 is low quite low in MF and highly suitable for PD loads, while 3N37 is high in MF and as a result not suitable on that basis for PD loads. There are now 6 powders and 3 factory loads in this years' gallery, all shot with my 357SIG model 31.

http://jeffreybehr.zenfolio.com/p626353596

Beanie-Bean
08-31-2011, 05:43
The N105 loads look to be the best of the bunch. Thanks for the pics! Nice Canon rig, by the way.

Dang...just noticed that the N105 load was highly compressed and not recommended. I've got Speer Gold Dot LE and Hornady CD for the .357 SIG, so they should not light up the sky too badly if called upon.

Bombardier131
10-27-2014, 14:55
Forgive my inexperience please, would muzzle flash mean that the powder has not completely burnt before the projectile leaves the barrel?
If that is the case, is it possible to vary the powder grains to reduce muzzle flash as an indicator of maximum efficiency behind the projectile?
Less wasted powder?

fredj338
10-27-2014, 23:41
Forgive my inexperience please, would muzzle flash mean that the powder has not completely burnt before the projectile leaves the barrel?
If that is the case, is it possible to vary the powder grains to reduce muzzle flash as an indicator of maximum efficiency behind the projectile?
Less wasted powder?

Yes & no. Reducing the charge doesn't affect flash much. Slower powders need a Certain pressure vel to burn more completely.

DWARREN123
10-28-2014, 08:09
I like HS-6 for 9mm, gives me a accurate/clean load. This is another reason to like it.