What to keep in your BOV [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What to keep in your BOV

Kadetklapp
08-31-2011, 09:02
I'm drawing a blank on what to buy/put in my BOV now that I finally have a suitable one. As far as a BOB, I don't really have one, because I don't live far from work and as a deputy, I have most of the essentials on me (flashlight, weapon, comms) and likely wouldn't be able to go home in an event anyway.

However, if I have to get the family out of Dodge, what do I put in my Dodge??

I have quite a bit of storage available in the cab and in the toolbox in the bed. Water is a challenge due to freezing during the winter. Fuel storage is an issue, since theft is a concern. I do have a 35 gallon tank however. Installing some sort of fuel transfer system would be nice, but not sure I want to open a can of worms on this old fuel system.

The truck has a two-meter radio installed. Bull bar is installed. Got pretty good tires and a decent spare. I have a folding shovel, machete, matches, lighters, 6-shot revolver, a spare belt, some spare fluids, what else can I throw in here to make it more travel worthy in the event I had to load up and take off suddenly? I'm drawing a blank here.

kirgi08
08-31-2011, 09:45
tagged.

quake
08-31-2011, 10:00
...However, if I have to get the family out of Dodge, what do I put in my Dodge??

Curious; is this strictly "get out of dodge" as you say or is it "get to somewhere" as well? Basically do you have a likely predetermined destination? That would likely impact what, and how much, of things would be needed.

Kadetklapp
08-31-2011, 10:36
Curious; is this strictly "get out of dodge" as you say or is it "get to somewhere" as well? Basically do you have a likely predetermined destination? That would likely impact what, and how much, of things would be needed.

For the time being, my BOL is only a few miles away from my residence. However, if for some reason the entire region in which I live is unsafe, I would like to be prepared to travel a few hundred miles, however that is not something likely to happen, since, out here in Indiana, there really isn't anywhere to go.

Also, this vehicle will be counted on to traverse tough conditions, so traveling even 25 miles could take a lot of time depending on how bad things are. Situations I'm most concerned about is getting the wife picked up at her work 30 miles away in a metro area, and getting back to the BOL without driving a lot of main roads. This could be in heavy snow.

RatDrall
08-31-2011, 12:30
as a deputy, I have most of the essentials on me (flashlight, weapon, comms)

Those are actually towards the bottom of the list, far below water, which is the most important.

Akita
08-31-2011, 14:45
A way to purity water is usually better than water (unless desert, etc). Add that, camping supplies suitable for the season. Fix-a-Flat, change or 2 of cammo clothes (whatever blends in to your AO), rope or tow strap is often useful even if not bugging out, good hiking boots. I assume you have a long gun in there; might add another for wife/gf/another adult if your agency allows it.

ratf51
08-31-2011, 15:02
I do believe that getting out of Dodge in a Dodge would likely cause the space-time continuum to fold in upon itself creating a tear in the fabric of the universe and thereby bringing about the Apocalypse. Or not. Just food for thought...

TangoFoxtrot
09-01-2011, 02:50
The first decision you have to make is do I BUG IN or BUG OUT? This is an important one with many factors involved.

This is what I keep in my GHB, maybe it will help you stock yours. I do change the contents depending on season. Hope this helps you.

Glucose tablets (for my wifes sugar).
Deet for the bugs
Small trauma kit
My meds. Extra 30 day supply
Good quality first aid kit
T-Paper and wet wipes
Sunblock SPF 30
1 pair of extra underwear and socks
Protein liquid drink and energy bars
50 oz water bladder
Pulsoc meter
Pens, marker, pads
Compass, GPS, and local Topo maps
Duel-band UHF w-t UHF radio
Multi-tool, Columbia River tanto knife, and wire cutters
Onocular
pry-bar
water-purifier tabs/filter
Bandana
Signal mirror
Whistle
petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls
magnifying glass (small one for fire making)
WD-40 lube pen and 1oz of Miltec oil
100 ft of cordage with carbiners
Solar blanket and 9'x11' plastic sheet
UST Strikeforce, bic lighter, magnifier glass with pyro gel.
Ranger survival pak (various small items)
LED flashlights (2) with extra batteries
One hundred dollars in small bills
Extra pre-paid cell phone with charger
2 spare mags for my Glock pistol

In a separate bag in my vehicle I keep an extra set of clothes, hiking shoes and a case of bottled water. <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

dissthis
09-02-2011, 07:23
Just curious...as a Deputy would you not be expected to stay in the event of some event to help maintain order? How serious of an event would it have to be for you to say "We're out of here"?

Obviously, family comes first.

Luckily I (and most here) would not be put in that predicament...

R_W
09-02-2011, 20:01
I didn't see:

Chains (good for snow or mud) YOU NEED 4, a pair just doesn't cut it.
Recovery gear (tow strap, chain, come-along or winch, hi-lift jack)
Axe or saw to clear blow-down.
tire repair kit (plugger, fixaflat, compressor)
Basic engine repair kit (wrenches, radiator hose patch, hoseclamps, JB weld, WD 40)

Akita
09-03-2011, 14:02
I didn't see:

Chains (good for snow or mud) YOU NEED 4, a pair just doesn't cut it.
Recovery gear (tow strap, chain, come-along or winch, hi-lift jack)
Axe or saw to clear blow-down.
tire repair kit (plugger, fixaflat, compressor)
Basic engine repair kit (wrenches, radiator hose patch, hoseclamps, JB weld, WD 40)
I had tow strap! :wavey:

FireForged
09-03-2011, 17:36
...gas