So I respond to a bank robbery in progress... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So I respond to a bank robbery in progress...

ar-steve
08-31-2011, 13:39
and my new Eo-Tech 512 takes a crapp. Just kept shutting itself off. This thing was made in June 2010. I bought it new, and put it on my rifle in Feb.2011. They are fixing me up good though. They are sending out a more expensive model at no charge. I love the timing though. *****bank robbery turned out to be a non-event.****

UrbanOps
08-31-2011, 13:49
What are they trading it out for? XPS hopefully!

ar-steve
08-31-2011, 13:51
552, basicly the 512 but NV compatible.

phred119
08-31-2011, 15:46
I had some issues with my EOTech when I had it. It ate batteries for one, but also, like yours, it would turn itself off.
For now, I've moved to Aimpoint for my working rifle. Hopefully the 552 works out well for you.

Morris
08-31-2011, 17:15
Head over to Lightfighter. Plenty of threads about the unreliability of EOTechs, especially the 5XX series. Ask Pat Rogers what he thinks of them and then take cover. :)

Mine became an issue enough that I went to Aimpoint only for RDS.

collim1
08-31-2011, 17:19
I want one of these BAD! I have never been a huge fan of the eotechs.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

Big House
08-31-2011, 20:10
Lucky you didn't need to depend on a piece of equipment to save your life. Insert sarcasm! This is something that irritates me to the point of chocking someone. They know that there are issues, yet they do nothing and wait for someone to have issues, or worse, get shot. The freaking bean counters have decided that it will cost less to wait than to fix it.

As much as I hate lawsuits, this is one that needs a class action filed.

greenman19
08-31-2011, 20:28
maybe it got scared!

toddmog
08-31-2011, 20:53
As crazy as it sounds, my Primary Arms M4 clone has been more relaiable than several of the Eotechs on our SO range. There has been at least one crap out the last three trainings. When I do upgrade from the PA, it will be an Aimpoint.

RetailNinja
08-31-2011, 21:32
A deputy I work with goes to a high speed low drag shoot every year out of state with his uncle. He said this year he noticed that no one single person had an Eotech, and almost everyone had AIMpoints.

msu_grad_121
08-31-2011, 21:42
As crazy as it sounds, my Primary Arms M4 clone has been more relaiable than several of the Eotechs on our SO range. There has been at least one crap out the last three trainings. When I do upgrade from the PA, it will be an Aimpoint.

I'm not surprised. Primary Arms is a heck of a sleeper company. I had one of their lights for my personally owned M4 and it was incredibly bright and well made, and a heck of a deal.

I owned an Eotech on the same rifle and it served me well. I'm surprised they've got such a crap reputation.

CAcop
08-31-2011, 21:52
Ever since a San Jose PD swatologist had a suspect in his sights and clear to fire only to have the EOtech go TU at that moment we have run our rifles with the back up sights permanently up.

Which of course totally overloads my brain for some reason so I just stopped using the EOtech and use iron sights only.

GPalmer
08-31-2011, 23:48
I have several EOTech's which so far haven't failed on me but I have heard so many tales of this failure I've switched to Aimpoints for anything serious.

Morris
09-01-2011, 00:14
One of the biggest issues traced back to EOTech failures has been the battery case. For me, I found the reticle to be too busy but yet, can run irons in the lower 1/3 without issue (fixed front, Larue fixed rear BUIS). The simple dot was a winner for me, regardless of the durability of the EOTech.

Cochese
09-01-2011, 00:16
I've never had an issue with my old 2006 512 or my 2010 XPS.

A co-worker just had this happen with his 512 two days ago, while we were doing a warrant service with USMS. :wow:

He needs to send his back.

COLOSHOOTR
09-01-2011, 03:41
Dead batteries have been the biggest issued I've had with my EoTech's but I have heard of many issues such as the OP's. One guy had a Aimpoint at my rifle class that would not turn on due to some sort of switch problem. That just proves the problems can happen with any of them....

I really want to like the Aimpoint for the battery life but I just like the EoTech reticle better. I think the EoTech is more precise and faster. You can use the the outer ring for CQB work while having the 1 MOA center dot zeroed for 100-200yds. The 65MOA ring accounts for your sight offset at close range (Inside 15yds). You place the bottom of the ring where you want the round to go and you get fairly precise head shots on hostage targets. Plus I I like the more open field of view with the EoTech.

If the Aimpoint came with a reticle more suited for the varied enviroments of LE work I'd switch in a heartbeat so I never have to worry about batteries again!

Cochese
09-01-2011, 08:44
Agreed on all points. I want to like the Aimpoint and have toyed with getting a micro but they need.to offer the L3 reticle. I also much prefer the larger viewfinder on the L3. Luckily, I have had no problems.

DaBigBR
09-01-2011, 09:20
Dead batteries and corrorded contacts will get those things. My 552 had a contact go to hell and it never was reliable after that. Sent it in to EOTech well out of warranty and they refurbed it for something like $75 with return shipping. I couldn't complain.

The XPS series with the transverse battery and screw on battery door is substantially better designed.

Hollywood D
09-01-2011, 09:54
Hmm, never had any issues with mine. I can't remember what model mine is but it has the buttons on the side. I still prefer iron sights for anything over 50 yards tho.

nitesite10mm
09-01-2011, 10:02
I don't pound my XPS EoTech with a hammer or anything, but it has been 100% reliable. I did take into account at the time of purchase the vastly improved battery compartment on the XPS. Compared to an Aimpoint I like the wider FOV window of an EoTech, and since it shuts itself off well then the "turn it on leave it on" fun factor of the Aimpoint is a moot point for me. In CQB I think the EoTech 65-MOA circle is wonderful when aiming both eyes open inside of 20-feet.

I also appreciate that the EoTech just seems to sit lower for me and I like a cheekweld that keeps by eyes as low as possible.

I'll give credit to Aimpoint for making amazingly rugged and accurate dot sights and I actually like them quite a bit. But EoTech doesn't really deserve a bad rap because of a few units that malf.

NC Bullseye
09-01-2011, 11:35
I had a few of the same type of problems with mine at first but they all went away when I switched to lithium batteries instead of alkaline. A bit more expensive but they last quite a bit longer too.

Just an option.

Peace Frog
09-01-2011, 11:58
I want one of these BAD! I have never been a huge fan of the eotechs.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

Interesting.
You have any experience with this model?

Currently only run Aimpoint but I ain't LE and don't go chasing bad guys either.

Y'all stay safe out there!

:wavey:

Magicmanmb
09-01-2011, 12:10
Proves the point the more dependant on technology it will fail when needed most. That's one of the reasons when we did class to be allowed to carry the instructor told everyone if they wanted to pass iron sights were it. After that it was up to the departments but to qualify you shot iron or left. Everyone stayed and passed once they learned how important it was. Brand new EOTECH batteries lasted about 15 minutes. His point hit home.

boomhower
09-01-2011, 12:13
This is why my patrol rifle wears an aimpoint. With the Pro being $400 eotechs price advantage disappears.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Hack
09-01-2011, 13:13
I have trained with iron sights for many years. That is one skill you cannot allow to fall. Everything else is extra.

collim1
09-01-2011, 13:49
Interesting.
You have any experience with this model?

Currently only run Aimpoint but I ain't LE and don't go chasing bad guys either.

Y'all stay safe out there!

:wavey:

No personal experience but I plan on buying one as soon as I can swing the funds.

They look nice. The one for the shotgun looks cool. It mounts in between the stock and the receiver.

beatcop
09-01-2011, 18:17
Aimpoint for now.

My advice to anyone getting a rifle is to have a "standard" front sight, not a shaved gas block....I want to just look at the front sight and drive-on if the dot disappears.

boomhower
09-01-2011, 18:37
Aimpoint for now.

My advice to anyone getting a rifle is to have a "standard" front sight, not a shaved gas block....I want to just look at the front sight and drive-on if the dot disappears.

You can still get a shaved block and a long rail along with a fixed front site, just get a fixed front and not a flipper.

BigLaw
09-01-2011, 18:46
I have had the 512 for about 4 years and it has never given me any problems. It stays on my rifle in the trunk, so it gets real hot in summer and real cold in the winter. I replace the batteries every year ( others still worked ) I pull it out once a month for a quick check/wipedown/lube and the EoTech always works.