Hd sg? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hd sg?

venenoindy
08-31-2011, 15:57
I currently don't have a SG and since I consolidated my safe and I'm down to one centerfire rifle I think will be wise to get a SG, Since don't know much about them and the only purpose will be SD I need some help what would be best to get and this are the options.

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/243256

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_64_991/products_id/411540290

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_871/products_id/62447

http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=32

757CC
08-31-2011, 16:34
My vote is for the Remington 870 Express Tactical XS GRS Pic Rail....awsome shotgun!

Buffering
08-31-2011, 16:49
If funds are tight I would recommend this gun from Bud's until you're able to move up/modify the weapon with someone such as aippi.

While simple is better and any good Remington HD pump will serve your needs, I would be very comfortable with this gun and wouldn't lose sleep over the fact that it doesn't have a collapsible stock (never figured what the legit need was on a HD gun) Pic rail (I guess it's impressive) or a door breacher (WTF is that for on a civilian gun and what true application would it have for HD?).

I'm still wondering if the breacher feature on a HD gun is more of a mall ninja kind of thing. I mean if the bad guy has locked himself in your bathroom isn't that good place for him to stay until the cops arrive? But if one is bound and determined to breach said door, most any shotgun will do without the toothed critter at the end of the barrel however doesn't a true breacher need breaching rounds?

Anyway, just buy this gun if bucks are tight and upgrades aren't in the budget. Some people will come along and praise the Mossberg family however I don't have experience with those guns so I can't say if there's a Mossy equivalent to the linked gun.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/991/products_id/95077

k594
08-31-2011, 22:52
If funds are tight I would recommend this gun from Bud's until you're able to move up/modify the weapon with someone such as aippi.

While simple is better and any good Remington HD pump will serve your needs, I would be very comfortable with this gun and wouldn't lose sleep over the fact that it doesn't have a collapsible stock (never figured what the legit need was on a HD gun) Pic rail (I guess it's impressive) or a door breacher (WTF is that for on a civilian gun and what true application would it have for HD?).

I'm still wondering if the breacher feature on a HD gun is more of a mall ninja kind of thing. I mean if the bad guy has locked himself in your bathroom isn't that good place for him to stay until the cops arrive? But if one is bound and determined to breach said door, most any shotgun will do without the toothed critter at the end of the barrel however doesn't a true breacher need breaching rounds?

Anyway, just buy this gun if bucks are tight and upgrades aren't in the budget. Some people will come along and praise the Mossberg family however I don't have experience with those guns so I can't say if there's a Mossy equivalent to the linked gun.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/991/products_id/95077
+1 i have this exact gun.. great price and quality, shoots everything i put in it. and you can allays put some mall ninja upgrades on it later if you feel the need

mixflip
09-01-2011, 01:23
Ok I'll vote for the opposite. Mossberg 500a.

Its affordable. I got mine used for $150 off backpage.com
Its been around 50 years and is just as legendary as the Remington.
It has "dual extractors" for added reliability in extraction.
It has a light weight aluminum receiver that is anodized.
Its tang safety is extremely lefty friendly and ambidextrous (on standard stocks)
It load gate retracts into the receiver unlike the spring load gate of other shotguns.
Its slide release is easier to reach unlike others that require you to release your firing grip.

Those are my reasons. I love the 870 but just not blindly.

Nakanokalronin
09-01-2011, 05:47
I'll add another suggestion: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95077

A simple 870 works really well and is the most one needs for a HD shotgun. I have an 870 I added accessories to plus a modified Saiga but, I also have many KISS shotguns. At most, I'd add a Tac Star side saddle and some sort of rail/mount for a flashlight.

David Armstrong
09-01-2011, 10:30
Since don't know much about them and the only purpose will be SD
That is the key phrase. Starting from "Don't know much about them, it is only for HD" you should get a basic, no-frills 870 (or Mossy if you must). Anything beyond that will be of limited help/use to you until you have some training or experience with the gun, and when you have some experience or training you will be better able to decide what changes, if any, should be made.

GAFinch
09-01-2011, 15:32
Haven't heard many good things about #3.

Aceman
09-01-2011, 20:43
Basic Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with 18.5" barrel.

Add a cuff for a few slugs or extra rounds, whatever light & bracket you want, and use low recoil buck shot.

DONE. This should all be able to be done for UNDER 300.

The basic 500/870 models will work just as well as the high end. Just get one of those and start shooting. Spend the extra money on ammo and practice!

BigGunSmallArms
09-04-2011, 02:25
If you want something simple cheap and sold you should look at the Winchester sxp defender silky smooth action, worlds fastest pump shot gun. It's light weight, and the controls are well place slide release behind the trigger and wafted in front of the trigger very little finger movement involved I just picked one up a few weeks ago for a little over 300. I've only shot a few hundred rounds out of it but I put it through the paces great accuracy with slugs due to the open choke and and nice grouping with bird and buck shot easily blasting clays at 40+ yards. One down side it that there are not a lot of aftermarket parts for it. But from my experience k.i.s.s. is the way to go high pressure and jacked up on adrenalin you don't need more thing than nessasary.

BigGunSmallArms
09-04-2011, 02:29
Sorry "wafted" should be "safety" gotta love auto correct.

Aceman
09-04-2011, 09:17

Abso-FRICKIN-lutely! :rofl:

Honestly, the only thing I can see me doing with breacher end is tearing my pants and possibly cutting myself or damaging my furniture.

But - if you absolutely need to keep up with highspeed/low drag SWAT guys that you are leading to the bad guy barricaded in the bathroom, you can't be waiting a half second to carefully place the muzzle!

Personally, the interior doors in my house, just ramming my 500 into the door will pretty much take it off the hinges without firing.

It a marketing attachment for guys with more balls than brains. Heat shield, now THAT is useful. Prevented some serious burns at the range on more than one occasion!!!

aippi
09-04-2011, 09:51
The best of your list is the 5077 model. Kiss simple fighting shotgun. It is also the base model for most of the custom Remington shotguns offered on the Market.

Avoid peep sights on a shotgun. These are close quarters weapons and peep sights not only shut down your peripheral vision but can create tunnels vision. A bead sight is all that is needed for HD and this can be enhanced with a Tritium bead. Anyone thinking he needs a peep sight on a shotgun does not understand the application of these weapons nor how to use them.

For the hundreth time people. That device on the end of some of the tacti-fool models is not a "Breeching Attachment" it is an Extended tactical Choke made by Haskinator and threaded for Rem Choke, or as we call it, the " Tactical Rem Joke". It does nothing but add length to the weapon and gives you horrible patterns. It is not marketed as a breeching attachment and not for breeching.

thinkfast
09-04-2011, 10:37
+1 for Mossberg-dual extractors, ambi safety, don't have to fight the shell lifter when topping off the mag tube, can activate action release from a firing grip...

Buffering
09-04-2011, 19:21
The best of your list is the 5077 model. Kiss simple fighting shotgun. It is also the base model for most of the custom Remington shotguns offered on the Market.

Avoid peep sights on a shotgun. These are close quarters weapons and peep sights not only shut down your peripheral vision but can create tunnels vision. A bead sight is all that is needed for HD and this can be enhanced with a Tritium bead. Anyone thinking he needs a peep sight on a shotgun does not understand the application of these weapons nor how to use them.

For the hundreth time people. That device on the end of some of the tacti-fool models is not a "Breeching Attachment" it is an Extended tactical Choke made by Haskinator and threaded for Rem Choke, or as we call it, the " Tactical Rem Joke". It does nothing but add length to the weapon and gives you horrible patterns. It is not marketed as a breeching attachment and not for breeching.

Just because you say it's not a breacher doesn't mean you're not wrong.

/s/

Your Loving Ex

PlasticGuy
09-04-2011, 19:52
+1 for Mossberg-dual extractors, ambi safety, don't have to fight the shell lifter when topping off the mag tube, can activate action release from a firing grip...

I agree. I started out as a hardcore 870 guy. I switched to the 590a1 about 4 years ago, and never looked back. The controls are better designed, it is faster to load and unload the magazine, and I have seen them reliably extract fired hulls that an 870 will not. Mine also pattern better than my fighting 870's did. While I still have a healthy respect for the 870, the 590a1 is the right choice for me.

Line Rider
09-04-2011, 22:01
If all you want a shotgun for is HD go to a good pawn or gun shop and buy a $250.00 used Remington 870 or Mossberg with an 18" barrel and bead sight.

Then use the other $200.00 for ammo and targets.

G23c
09-05-2011, 07:08
another vote for a basic Mossberg 500. simple, rugged. mine just runs and runs. find a good low recoil load and lots of range time.

Line Rider
09-05-2011, 08:14
A basic shotgun with reduced recoil 00 and slugs will defeat any two legs hob goblins.

David Armstrong
09-05-2011, 17:48
If you want something simple cheap and sold you should look at the Winchester sxp defender silky smooth action, worlds fastest pump shot gun. It's light weight, and the controls are well place slide release behind the trigger and wafted in front of the trigger very little finger movement involved I just picked one up a few weeks ago for a little over 300. I've only shot a few hundred rounds out of it but I put it through the paces great accuracy with slugs due to the open choke and and nice grouping with bird and buck shot easily blasting clays at 40+ yards. One down side it that there are not a lot of aftermarket parts for it. But from my experience k.i.s.s. is the way to go high pressure and jacked up on adrenalin you don't need more thing than nessasary.
Can't address the new guns, but of the major manufacturers Winchester shotguns were by far the most likely to break down when I was giving shotgun classes.

aippi
09-05-2011, 18:37
OK Buff, your replies to my post are starting to make sence. I think I need to lay off the Bourbon

Vigilant
09-06-2011, 09:29
Either the 5077 version of the 870, or, even better, a good used 870P.

Vigilant
09-06-2011, 09:40
OK Buff, your replies to my post are starting to make sence. I think I need to lay off the Bourbon

Spel chek iz yer freind. :rofl:

Just kidding, sir. :supergrin:

Buffering
09-06-2011, 11:48
Spel chek iz yer freind. :rofl:

Just kidding, sir. :supergrin:

Bourbon is a better friend.

PlasticGuy
09-06-2011, 11:57
Can't address the new guns, but of the major manufacturers Winchester shotguns were by far the most likely to break down when I was giving shotgun classes.

My experience matches yours. I haven't seen a huge number of Winchester 1300 shotguns in classes, but the ones I have seen have had a high rate of problems. They just don't seem to be as durable as the other common options.