The Alamo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Alamo

Roller
08-31-2011, 18:09
Will be visiting The Alamo for the first time early next week. Any restrictions on carry there or The River Walk?

Thanks

Roller
Check 360

SixkillerEnterprises
08-31-2011, 19:04
It may be against the Alamo's rules to carry concealed, but if they don't have a section 30.06 posted (and I don't think they do) I'd say it's your call.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/ChaseR357/Sign-3006.gif

As for the river walk you can carry, however you wont be able to go into any bar, store, or restaurant that has posted a 30.06 or one of these:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/ChaseR357/51percent.jpg

dnuggett
08-31-2011, 19:05
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/tchlaws0102.pdf

barnettbill
08-31-2011, 19:17
Last time I was there in Sept 2010 they did not have a sign posted.

Spiffums
08-31-2011, 19:20
And don't pull an Ozzy........ get drunk, wear your wife's dress because she hid all your clothes and pee on the wall of the Alamo....... they don't like that there.

barnettbill
08-31-2011, 22:08
And don't pull an Ozzy........ get drunk, wear your wife's dress because she hid all your clothes and pee on the wall of the Alamo....... they don't like that there.

:rofl::rofl:

CodyBoy
09-01-2011, 00:09
The Alamo is not posted. Was just there about 2 months ago maybe less.

I carried there not a big deal. Just take off your hat when you go inside.

The river walk is a river with restaurants and bars. I don't go to bars so I was good.

Carried in Ripleys and the other attraction (whatever it was) across the road from the Alamo. No big deal , no signs.

CodyBoy
09-01-2011, 00:11
It may be against the Alamo's rules to carry concealed, but if they don't have a section 30.06 posted (and I don't think they do) I'd say it's your call.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/ChaseR357/Sign-3006.gif

As for the river walk you can carry, however you wont be able to go into any bar, store, or restaurant that has posted a 30.06 or one of these:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/ChaseR357/51percent.jpg

Have never seen a "store" with a 51% sign or a restaurant.

CodyBoy
09-01-2011, 00:12
Just noticed you're from OH.

Does TX reciprocate with OH?

I don't know

Lior
09-01-2011, 00:33
Don't y'all love laws that criminalize crossing an imaginary line, where you have the government's blessing to be on one side of it and you are a felon when you are on the other?

Toorop
09-01-2011, 00:51
Link to the contact information of the Alamo staff. (http://www.thealamo.org/resources/contact.php)

Why not just call and ask if you can carry your firearm there?

rem2429
09-01-2011, 00:59
Beware San Antonio's wierd knife laws though.

Roller
09-01-2011, 06:27
Thanks to all of you for your time.

CodyBoy: No reciprocity with OH. I have a FL license license.

SixKillerEnterprises: First time I have actually seen a "51%" sign (I have relatives in the DFW area). And I know about the 30.06 sign. TX have their act together in many ways for CHL. In OH there is no specified sign. The notice could be the size of a pin head and technically be legal notification. The trick in OH is a little word "knowingly".

Again Thanks to all.

Roller
Check 360

yukon2004
09-01-2011, 06:57

Supposedly it's a Class C misdemeanor to carry a lock back knife, however I lived in San Antonio for 11 years and carried a knife with me almost everywhere (except the court house) and never had a problem. Had a friend that is a cop for SAPD and he said that for the most part the cops will not mess with you if they see you have a lock back knife clipped to your pocket... only if you are a "homie gang banger," in his words.

Out of the 11 years I lived in San Antonio, I only went to the Alamo once, and that was before I had a CHL or carried a firearm, so I do not recall personally.

SixkillerEnterprises
09-01-2011, 07:57
Have never seen a "store" with a 51% sign or a restaurant.

Bars and restaurants that make 51% of their revenue from the sale of alcohol are supposed to post the 51% sign.

Stores may post a 30.06.

Roller
09-01-2011, 08:03
SixKillerEnterprises;

Would you by chance have the identifying number for the relevant section of the TX code?

Thanks

Roller
Check 360

SixkillerEnterprises
09-01-2011, 13:49
Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;

Glenn E. Meyer
09-01-2011, 15:06
Ozzie didn't urinate on the Alamo. He did it on the centopath near it. That's an empty tomb memorial.

Don't recall a 30.06 on the Alamo, either.

Roller
09-01-2011, 18:01
SixkillerEnterprises;

Thanks for the info.

Roller
Check 360

SixkillerEnterprises
09-01-2011, 18:09
Sure. Hope you enjoy your visit.

CodyBoy
09-01-2011, 23:48
Link to the contact information of the Alamo staff. (http://www.thealamo.org/resources/contact.php)

Why not just call and ask if you can carry your firearm there?

Read their website before I went a couple months ago. It said nothing about carrying.

Why would you call them? The person you talk to probably doesn't have a clue.
Sounds like a waste of time.

ashtxsniper
09-02-2011, 00:00
I carried there like 2 months ago and all up and down the riverwalk. Even though I am LEO and exempt from the unlawfully carrying laws I always look for signs so I know who the anti gunners are. I did not see any signs anywhere on the premises that stated you couldnt carry a firearm.

Hour13
09-02-2011, 00:11

Interesting. I live here, and I always have my knife on me. Clipped on outside of pocket, plain view.

Maybe it's one of those laws that are on paper, just never enforced. Like no texting while driving... :steamed:

Roller
09-03-2011, 07:18
made it to San Antonio with considerable difficulty. First plane broke - hyd, leak. got lucky and got last two seatds on AA flights.

More interesting to me was when I check my gun at Dayton OH. Counter clerk handed the red tag to sign and then tossed into my bag and your good to go. OK. Then when the plane broke, I talked to the gate representative about the bags. I ask here how I could get my bags since there was a sensitive "item" in one of the bags. She pulled my shcedule up and said "one bag has a firearm?" I said yes and she said they would get the bags to AA. Then at the AA gate, when I checked in, the agent made a specific point of telling me that the bags had transferred OK, giving the the distinct impression that he also knew there was a firearm in one bag.

I thought that a firearm in checked luggage was not supposed to be identified, in the computer or on the outside of the bag. I hadn't expected that to happen.

Anyway, we had a great dinner last night in Boerne at the Tin Roof. I recommed that rest. Yes I carried.

Thanks to all for your help.

Roller
Check360

steveksux
09-03-2011, 07:49
I thought that a firearm in checked luggage was not supposed to be identified, in the computer or on the outside of the bag. I hadn't expected that to happen.I thought the idea was not to identify the bag (outside) to prevent baggage handlers or anyone else coming in contact with it from knowing there's a firearm inside.

You fill out the declaration form, that just doesn't end up in the bag, I'd be very confident a copy of that info makes its way into a computer record somewhere.

What would happen if the bag, or the firearm within was stolen along with that tag and there's no record of a firearm being in there? The airlines will keep that info to protect themselves, and it protects you as well.

As to carrying firearms at the Alamo, if you have a legal permit, there are no 30.06 signs, and you're not dressed like a member the Mexican Army, being armed should not be a problem.

Randy

ashtxsniper
09-03-2011, 08:46
Enjoy San Antonio, hope you dont have a heat stroke while your here.

yukon2004
09-03-2011, 09:41
Enjoy San Antonio, hope you dont have a heat stroke while your here.

The past few days have definitely been cooler than it has been.

Hour13
09-03-2011, 18:03
The past few days have definitely been cooler than it has been.
:rofl:

Ya, it's been a brisk 102deg...

Toorop
09-03-2011, 18:05
Read their website before I went a couple months ago. It said nothing about carrying.

Why would you call them? The person you talk to probably doesn't have a clue.
Sounds like a waste of time.Why would some stranger have a clue? I would be willing to bet they could get an answer from an official source easier then some Internet glocktalker. If I have a question about someplace then I usually call the people there to get my answer.

They do need to update their website. I am going to email the woman whose info is at the link and ask about CCW. I will post her answer.

Darkangel1846
09-04-2011, 09:09
Some years ago, when I lived in SA, they had an older black women who gave a lecture every few hours on the 13 day battle at the Alamo. She used a well made model of the fort and was outstandingly knowledgable of the battle. I went back to the Alamo several times to hear her lecture. Also if you get a chance go walk around the Alamo around 2AM,(on a week day not a weekend) sometimes you can hear the sounds of battle and occasionally see a ghostly figure in period clothing.

banjobob
09-04-2011, 09:18
I knew someone who was on the Alamo police force. He said a grandfather from Arizona was open carrying, he had no clue this was illegal. My friend said he felt so bad about having the man arrested in front of his family. The lesson here is know the laws where you are going.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor inform

yukon2004
09-04-2011, 10:19
Also if you get a chance go walk around the Alamo around 2AM,(on a week day not a weekend) sometimes you can hear the sounds of battle and occasionally see a ghostly figure in period clothing.

Really?! :rofl:

blackjack
09-04-2011, 10:23
Some years ago, when I lived in SA, they had an older black women who gave a lecture every few hours on the 13 day battle at the Alamo. She used a well made model of the fort and was outstandingly knowledgable of the battle. I went back to the Alamo several times to hear her lecture. Also if you get a chance go walk around the Alamo around 2AM,(on a week day not a weekend) sometimes you can hear the sounds of battle and occasionally see a ghostly figure in period clothing.

After 2am, after the bars have closed and you have enough Shiner Bock in you, it's easy to see about anything...:tongueout:

yukon2004
09-04-2011, 10:39
After 2am, after the bars have closed and you have enough Shiner Bock in you, it's easy to see about anything...:tongueout:

OH... if we're involving alcohol, then yes, I can understand that. But you've got to be careful with alcohol, next thing you know, you'll think you're Mike Tyson and try to start a fight.

Caver 60
09-04-2011, 19:15
Why would some stranger have a clue? I would be willing to bet they could get an answer from an official source easier then some Internet glocktalker. If I have a question about someplace then I usually call the people there to get my answer.

They do need to update their website. I am going to email the woman whose info is at the link and ask about CCW. I will post her answer.

Why stir that pot? If there is nothing on their website and no signs posted, it seems pointless to stir things up. You just might get a sign posted by some bureaucrat that had never thought of this issue before.

yukon2004
09-04-2011, 19:16
Why stir that pot? If there is nothing on their website and no signs posted, it seems pointless to stir things up. You just might get a sign posted by some bureaucrat that had never thought of this issue before.

Good point

Toorop
09-04-2011, 19:22
Why stir that pot? If there is nothing on their website and no signs posted, it seems pointless to stir things up. You just might get a sign posted by some bureaucrat that had never thought of this issue before. It is not stirring the pot. It is asking them to put a definitive answer so that we as gun-owners will be sure on whether we can carry there or not. Wouldn't it be nice to know so that next time this question arises we can give a 100% answer. As of right now, we don't have one. Why leave it in a gray area?

Caver 60
09-04-2011, 20:15
Doesn't seem like a grey area to me. Lets choose our battles wisely. I've won at least one where there were no gun signs posted and caused the signs to come down.

But I've lost a few more. Once the signs are up, then you have to 'go to war' so to speak to get them down. But if there are no signs in the first place, why start a new war when there was no issue to start with? We've got enough legitimate fights on our hands in the first place without starting new ones.