Taking deer with .229 round out of an AR? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Taking deer with .229 round out of an AR?

IndianaMatt
08-31-2011, 20:07
There's a lot of talk on the web about this. From what I've read, the arguments tend to be about 65% against using .223 to take deer, with about 35% for.

Yes, there are more powerful rounds for this job, but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that a well-placed shot, using modern 70 gr. high powered ammo, can drop a deer with one round.

Not to mention, its legal in many states, so it can't be that unrealistic. Many hunters swear by the .223's killing power.

Federal Premium even makes a round especially for deer and such mid-sized game: http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=6

Wanted to see what people here thought.

EDIT: Note my typo- I meant ".223" in the title.

BuckeyePPC
09-01-2011, 07:13
You mean a standard AR15 with a .223 round ? Don't know anything about a .229 in an AR.

My single shot NEF .223 only stabilizes bullets 50gr or less, however a friend of mine took his Thompson Contender .223 with a 70 or 80 gr. bullet deer hunting. I don't think he saw any deer that year, we have less than 2 weeks a year to hunt deer.

jellis11
09-01-2011, 07:24
i dont like 223 for deer hunting. ive used a 7mm or 30.06 my whole life. you can kill a deer with a 223 but how many people get that perfect shot to drop it on the spot... not many.

CanyonMan
09-01-2011, 10:33
Even big deer do not need a cannon to bring them down. (although my 'do everything gun' is a 7mm rem mag) ha.

My brother uses the 223 on the ranch to head shoot deer and it burns me up.

I been in his face about it several times but he is bent on doing it with head shots only with a sniper scope. One day I'll grab that gun when he ain't around and through it in the river. ha. It is just not a deer round no matter how many say they've killed deer with them, and I know folks have, and my brother has. It is like my take on SD hand guns. I would not want a .380 against a 300# felon. I do not want to take the risk on a deer, 'no matter the size' with a .223 when better options are available.

Dang, bump up a at least a 243 or a 6mm rem. I've taken deer with the 6mm with no problem.

Save the AR for coyotes. ;)

CM

IndianaMatt
09-01-2011, 12:31
Thanks for the replies. Its not that I'm particularly looking for a challenge, its that for this season, this is the only rifle I've got.

So some people don't agree with doing it this way, but it is doable, yes?

CanyonMan
09-01-2011, 13:38
Thanks for the replies. Its not that I'm particularly looking for a challenge, its that for this season, this is the only rifle I've got.
So some people don't agree with doing it this way, but it is doable, yes?

Matt, it is doable and so is a .22rifle. It is just not a good choice. I understand that is ALL you got. But man, you can find a used 30-30 at a pawn shop or a 12ga shot gun and use slugs. Neither of these will cost that much, and if your real strapped for $$$ (who ain't) these two can be found about any where for 200.00 used sometimes new depending on model.

I cannot in good conscience say, 'yeh man go for it." Will it kill a deer ? YES. Period. All things done right and no long range stuff. But like my brother that does use it with a sniper scope and "head shots only." I still hate him doing it, but they do drop dead on the spot. Just not for me, and I would never have guided anyone for deer using that caliber.

So, you need to look inside you, and decide, do I or don't I. Can you afford a 12ga or borrow one from someone and get slugs. Good to go at 100yds amigo. I know. A cheap 30-30, until you can buy something else ya want down the line will work.

OR, you can conceal yourself well, do everything right as rain, and use what you got wait on a 50yd or less shot, and I would go for the head or a square shoulder shot. Problem with the head shots, like i told my brother. Is one day, you are going to pull the trigger about the time the deer moves a nano inch and you will blow a muzzle off him and he's gone and dies a miserable death. It can and does happen

Yep it will kill one if really done right. IMO, nope, would not do it unless that is all I had and was starvin for food for the family.

Your call. Just because a pile of folks my tell ya they've done it plenty of times.... that don't make it right or good... :whistling:

You did ask amigo ! ;)

This is MHO...

Good luck !

CnayonMan

jellis11
09-01-2011, 14:00
get a mossburg atr for two hundred bucks. then youll have two guns.
out of being a humane individual

Zombie Steve
09-01-2011, 14:57
Obviously, there are much better choices, but if you're taking your .223 afield this coming season with that federal cartridge, make sure you're willing to pass on a less than perfect shot.

Have you taken deer before? Any experience in tracking a wounded animal? You owe it to your quarry to make it as quick as possible.

Is your .223 a bolt gun? 16" AR-15? It's going to make a difference. I guarantee the numbers you see on the federal site were from a 20" barrel or longer...

CanyonMan
09-03-2011, 17:37
Obviously, there are much better choices, but if you're taking your .223 afield this coming season with that federal cartridge, make sure you're willing to pass on a less than perfect shot.

Have you taken deer before? Any experience in tracking a wounded animal? You owe it to your quarry to make it as quick as possible.

Is your .223 a bolt gun? 16" AR-15? It's going to make a difference. I guarantee the numbers you see on the federal site were from a 20" barrel or longer...

Good addition to what has been said amigo ! :thumbsup:

B safe pard.

CM

vafish
09-03-2011, 19:55

SAAMI standard for non-magnum rifles is 24" barrel when measuring velocity.

IndianaMatt
09-04-2011, 10:48
SAAMI standard for non-magnum rifles is 24" barrel when measuring velocity.

Wow, really? So shooting even the hot "deer" .223 rounds out of a 16" barrel will obviously have less performance, I guess. That's a lot to thing about since even with a 24" barrel the .223's performance already seems marginal.

I may have to re-think my hunting strategy for this year. I just really wanted to avoid having to buy another rifle.

noway
09-08-2011, 21:25
my general rule has been; if he round does not have 3 digits, it's too lite for deer.

get something in a 1xx or better and have no worries. I perfer a 150grain 30-06 or something in 7x57 or a decent round ina 243win if I want something smaller in caliber.

vafish
09-09-2011, 12:41
Wow, really? So shooting even the hot "deer" .223 rounds out of a 16" barrel will obviously have less performance, I guess. That's a lot to thing about since even with a 24" barrel the .223's performance already seems marginal.

I may have to re-think my hunting strategy for this year. I just really wanted to avoid having to buy another rifle.

Yep,

I found that out looking at the velocity of the new .25-45 Sharps round for the AR15. I use a similar .25-223 wildcat. Sharps was claiming ~2,900 fps for a 87 gr bullet. I get about 2,580 fps with an 87 gr bullet in my 16" barrel. So I sent them an e-mail and they said since it was a SAAMI round they were using the SAAMI spec 24" test barrel for pressure and velocity testing.

Zombie Steve
09-09-2011, 13:27

I was willing to let the original question about .223 and deer go, but seeing this statement I gotta ask: what's wrong with you?:whistling::supergrin:

IndianaMatt
09-14-2011, 08:48
I was willing to let the original question about .223 and deer go, but seeing this statement I gotta ask: what's wrong with you?:whistling::supergrin:

What do you mean? What's wrong with wanting to avoid needlessly buying more gear if what I;ve currently got will do the job?

Zombie Steve
09-14-2011, 11:14
Only kidding. Most of us will use any excuse to go buy another gun. Hell, General firearms is filled with guys that bought a .44 mag in case they ever go somewhere that they might encounter a bear and it decides to charge (even though the chances of getting hit by lightning are higher). :supergrin:

havensal
09-14-2011, 18:45
Would I do it? Probably not. I have better options. Would I tell others not to? No.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine