Problem front sight replacement on M&P [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Problem front sight replacement on M&P

Generalcarry
09-01-2011, 04:51
I bought a TruGlo sight for a 40 M&P. The sight had to be filed to fit. Do ALL brands of front sights need to be modified to fit the front dove tail?

Linux3
09-01-2011, 15:01
Pretty much.
I have replaced more than a few front sights and always had to do a little file work.

I even ordered a set of Williams Firesights right from Kahr for my TP9 and had to fiddle with them.

Generalcarry
09-03-2011, 04:55
Pretty much.
I have replaced more than a few front sights and always had to do a little file work.

I even ordered a set of Williams Firesights right from Kahr for my TP9 and had to fiddle with them.

If you've replaced many sights on the M&P .9/.40 I'm interested. If not, it's not an answer to my question. When the M&P first made it's debut, front sight replacement was a concern.

Linux3
09-03-2011, 14:28
I replaced the front sight on my M&P 9MM AND my M&P 9MM Pro. In both cases the new sight had to have a little filing to fit.

I used the Kahr example only to point out that even a sight from the manufacturer of a pistol was not a perfect fit out of the box.

I could have added that I broke the fiber rod in my Pro and S&W sent me a whole new front sight. I had to touch it up before it would fit.

Sheesh!

up1911fan
09-20-2011, 18:40
Pretty much all replacement sight's are gonna need to be filed a bit to fit. It's meant to be a tight fit.

DLL9mm
09-22-2011, 02:50
Pretty much all replacement sight's are gonna need to be filed a bit to fit. It's meant to be a tight fit.

This.

GRTAC
09-22-2011, 20:52
I bought a TruGlo sight for a 40 M&P. The sight had to be filed to fit. Do ALL brands of front sights need to be modified to fit the front dove tail?

Generally no. Do you have the sight pusher?

We install Trijicon and Ameriglo sights on a DAILY basis and are a certified S&W armorer.

C4

Generalcarry
09-23-2011, 02:28
[QUOTE=GRTAC;17952328]Generally no. Do you have the sight pusher?

We install Trijicon and Ameriglo sights on a DAILY basis and are a certified S&W armorer.

Yeap, bought it from a member here but it's for rear sights. He makes and sell them but his name escapes me.
When I first bought the M&P I went to the M&P forum, S&W forum and the S&W forum here. Everyone was waiting for a fix. I'm talking 3-4 years ago so I may be fuzzy, But I don't thing so.

Vincent Vega
09-23-2011, 07:28
Generally no. Do you have the sight pusher?

C4

I also install sights daily and have done so for years. We use several different sight pushers and never have to file. If the sight is that tight I send it back to the manufacture.

Smith M&P are handled the same way as Sigs and GLOCKS.

walkin' trails
09-30-2011, 19:22
I only have recent experience with M&P sights, but found that the rear on my 45 was so tight it warranted a trip to the gunsmith to remove. I had bought a set of 10-8 Performance sights to replace the factory. I took a few whacks at the rear with a drift and mallet, and couldn't get it to budge. I didn't even attempt the front sight. I do not have an M&P sight tool. $65 later I have my 10-8 sights and am a happy camper for the moment. I've heard that S&W dovetails are pretty tight.

What experiences has anyone had with M&Ps and sight pusher tools? I think I need to get one.